ryanteck

WiFi not working on Stretch

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am

Hi,

I seem to be experiencing wi-fi setup issues on stretch.

Using 2017-09-07 Lite image I was getting no wi-fi connection so started to do some diagnostics of which while the wlan0 device shows under iwconfig it doesn't on ifconfig unless the -a option is used.

After running dmesg I found an error output and then updated to the latest kernel which I was told should fix it however with failure.

Here's the output from dmesg:

Code: Select all

[   64.591767] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_txfail: sdio error, abort command and terminate frame
[   64.595922] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to write data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.600046] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.603565] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.607693] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.611420] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.615559] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.619686] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.619740] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_txfail: sdio error, abort command and terminate frame
[   64.623497] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to write data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.627626] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.631436] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.635577] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.639701] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.643480] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.647606] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.647658] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_txfail: sdio error, abort command and terminate frame
[   64.651451] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to write data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.655591] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.659719] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.663483] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.667612] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.671434] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.675575] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdiod_regrw_helper: failed to read data [email protected], err: -110
[   64.675593] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_dpc: failed backplane access over SDIO, halting operation
[   64.675611] brcmfmac: brcmf_netdev_open: failed to bring up cfg80211
And uname -a:

Linux raspberrypi 4.9.53-v7+ #1040 SMP Fri Oct 6 14:19:18 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
Any advise appreciated. Thanks

B.Goode

Re: WiFi not working on Stretch

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:00 am

What model of RPi, and what dongle Ryan.

OK for me with PiZeroW, RPi3, and PiZero with an RPF-badged dongle.

ryanteck

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 am

Sorry, Pi 3 built in adaptor. I'll plug in a third party one to see if that then works.

jorgema

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 am

Hello.

I don't know if this may help in your case but I had this problem for long in Raspberry Pi2 with Raspbian Stretch and Wheezy. I checked all possible solutions, configurations, drivers, etc. Every configuration seemed to be OK and still the WiFi connection didn't work. The dongle was not the problem either because it worked fine on another computer. I had to keep it connected to the network using an Eth cable for a while.

Finally, after struggling my brains I found the silly cause. I was using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The bluetooth dongle was connected sideways to the WiFi dongle. When I connected either the WiFi Edimax dongle or the bluetooth dongle using a USB prolonging cable so they got physically separated at least 50cm away from each other, then the WiFi connection started to work perfectly. Obviously the Bluetooth dongle transmission was interfering with the signal reception of the Wifi dongle. Surely this may also happen in Raspberry Pi3 with the built in Wifi adapter.

I hope this may help someone. Cheers..!

ryanteck

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 am

I'll move it closer to the AP and try again. However I was having no luck when it was originally closer.

No other USB devices plugged in, A GPIO RFID board and a few transistors.

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 am

ryanteck wrote:
Sorry, Pi 3 built in adaptor. I'll plug in a third party one to see if that then works.
If you are using a Pi3, then Stretch definitely works. I would check the SHA256 hash of your download to see if it was corrupt, and use Etcher to write the card once you are sure you have a good download.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

ryanteck

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
ryanteck wrote:
If you are using a Pi3, then Stretch definitely works. I would check the SHA256 hash of your download to see if it was corrupt, and use Etcher to write the card once you are sure you have a good download.
I don't have the original zip as I usually delete them after unzipping the img. I also write using dd if=<filename> of=/dev/sdc && sync. Writing's not been an issue before.

Update: I downloaded the zip again, checked that SHA and got a match, unzipped and the unzipped result also got a match.

I'll get a different SD card and write to that.

B.Goode

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm

I don't have the original zip as I usually delete them after unzipping the img. I also write using dd if=<filename> of=/dev/sdc && sync. Writing's not been an issue before.
Writing's not been an issue before.

That's no reason to suppose your recipe might not have problems now. Way out of my understanding, but some change to the way the image is generated and partially filled disk blocks. Lots of prior Discussion here from other people having unusual failures using dd. A sync keyword on the DD command seems to be one workaround. Or use Etcher.

ryanteck

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:43 pm

I don't believe its the image. Worked first time when plugging in a USB Dongle. Seems to be a broadcom driver issue. A re-flash could fix that.

Also can you not keep trying to make me use Etcher? I don't see the need nor want to use it. Saying to everyone "Use X software" won't fix every issue.

B.Goode

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:53 pm

ryanteck wrote:
I don't believe its the image. Worked first time when plugging in a USB Dongle. Seems to be a broadcom driver issue. A re-flash could fix that.

Also can you not keep trying to make me use Etcher? I don't see the need nor want to use it. Saying to everyone "Use X software" won't fix every issue.
I don't believe it is the image either.
Or use Etcher.
Or . Or. See - I'm suggesting an alternative, no force involved. It works for me. It works for other people I have advised who previously encountered problems with dd-written images.

You are free to ignore the guidance. I am now withdrawing from this discussion.

SurferTim

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I use several RPi3 units, and all wifi works. It probably isn't your OS. but possibly your wifi setup. Did you set all the stuff in raspi-config, like wifi country?

Did you update and upgrade your OS?

Maybe it would help if you posted your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. You can obfuscate the passphrase if you want.

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:50 pm

ryanteck wrote:

Etcher is recommended because it is a superior solution to DD. It writes the image directly from the archive (no need to extract it first) and it verifies the write afterword to ensure the SD card was correctly imaged. But if you don't want to take good advice, then good luck fixing your problems.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

rpdom

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:16 pm

I've never tried Etcher, but I understand it makes sense for most people to use it.

Personally I have a bash script on my Ubuntu laptop that prompts me for the image to install from a set I have previously downloaded, then asks for the hostname and a few other things, before uncompressing the (xz compressed) image onto the card using dd, then expanding the file system, setting up ssh keys and a few other things. But that's just the way I choose to do it :-)

ryanteck

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Re Etcher: I've been doing it this way for 5 Years. So I'm certain DD isn't the issue. Could be that it wrote a block wrong. (Also I don't understand how extracting a zip file every time is more reliable than extracting it once and using the extracted image.)

I wrote the 2017-09-07 Lite image to SD card. After advice I ran rpi-update as I was lead to believe this would fix the issue with the newer kernel.

All I can put it down to is the antenna isn't as good in the Pi 3 as the USB one I'm now using. I currently can't take the Pi out of the piece its in to do testing closer to the AP.

Here's wpa_supplicant, I don't believe there's anything wrong with this since the USB Adaptor works.

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
    ssid="RTK"
    psk="XXXX"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
network={
    ssid="RTK-PORTABLE"
    psk="XXXX"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
However for now I think it's best to either close or ignore the topic from now on.

Return to “Troubleshooting”