Yotaphoner

Omxplayer doesn't display nothing

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:34 am

Hi! I tried to play a video in Raspbian with omxplayer and didn't worked properly. It runned it, but didn't displayed any window. Neither I had any error message or a crash, so it keeps running on the terminal without any changes on the CPU or RAM usage.

I tried 3 different videos, encoded with 2 different codecs.

What I have to do? THanks!

RaTTuS

Re: Omxplayer doesn't display nothing

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

you need the video the be encoded as .h264
and you need the display connected to the raspberry
what does
omxplayer filename say
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

HawaiianPi

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Which model Pi?

What kind of display is the Pi connected to?

What version of Raspbian?

What type of file were you trying to play?

What command did you enter to play the file?

EDIT:
Yotaphoner wrote:
... but didn't displayed any window.
Omxplayer does not play videos in a window. It only plays full-screen.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Yotaphoner

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Sorry for the delay.

I have a screen connected via VNC server, so maybe it's this.

I tried different videos. With a .avi video gived me Vcodec unknown, but with a .mp4 coded with h264 it runs without en error or closing the omxplayer but without seen any displaying. The same with the VLCplayer. So maybe its I have to do something special due the VNC displaying.

sconemad

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

The output from omxplayer is displayed in a directly-rendered overlay, which isn't normally captured by vnc.

The RealVNC server can capture this though, provided you enable "experimental direct capture mode" on the troubleshooting page of the vnc server options.

gkreidl

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am

sconemad wrote:
The output from omxplayer is displayed in a directly-rendered overlay, which isn't normally captured by vnc.

The RealVNC server can capture this though, provided you enable "experimental direct capture mode" on the troubleshooting page of the vnc server options.
But even then it's unusable, because VNC cannot transfer at 50/60 Hz refresh in real time.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

sconemad

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:18 am

gkreidl wrote:
But even then it's unusable, because VNC cannot transfer at 50/60 Hz refresh in real time.

Yes, you're limited by the network speed, but whether it's useful or not really depends on what you're using it for.

For example, I regularly connect over VNC and run raspivid when I'm focusing my camera before running a timelapse capture using https://github.com/pageauc/pi-timolo. It works great for that.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

gkreidl wrote:
sconemad wrote:

Fairly pointless to decode on the Pi, then re-encode on the Pi to send over VNC, then decode on whatever is rendering the VNC desktop.....might as well just decode on the VNC client.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Yotaphoner

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:41 pm

I selected the direct processing option one of you toll me to try and it works, but since I did it the VNC connection runs a little slowly. Anyway, the VNC connection over wifi isn't quick enough, so it's useless for this purpose.

Beside that, the audio don't get reproduced via the bluetooth connection to my speakers, but if I connect the it throught the 3'5mm jack it works well. I don't have any other option output in my Audio config, and i tried some of the ones thery are in the VLC player. Any clue about that?

Thanks for the answers about the video playing through VNC

VascoFerraz

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Yotaphoner wrote:
Hi! I tried to play a video in Raspbian with omxplayer and didn't worked properly. It runned it, but didn't displayed any window. Neither I had any error message or a crash, so it keeps running on the terminal without any changes on the CPU or RAM usage.

I tried 3 different videos, encoded with 2 different codecs.

What I have to do? THanks!
Try this:
sudo raspi-config -> 7 -> A6 -> G3 (Legacy)
This solved my problem but I use the regular video output configuration, that is, HDMI port directly connected to a TV.
Vasco Ferraz

Return to “Troubleshooting”