tchichua25

No wireless interfaces found

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm having a problem with my raspberry pi 3 model B.
When hitting on network settings button on home screen I'm getting "no wireless interfaces found" error.
When entering network settings with the right click I'm getting Config Error:

Error saving /etc/dhcpcd.confi

The dhcpcd config file is not writable

I have changed wpa_supplicant.conf and network/interfaces as provided on raspberry website.

Also tried to purge dhcpcd.
Also tried sudo usermod -G netdev -a pi.

Non of this worked. I neither have Ethernet cable nor PC next to me now to reinstall the OS.
Please help me if possible. I've been surfing through the old posts but nothing really solved my problem.
Cheers!

DougieLawson

Re: No wireless interfaces found

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm

You need to use sudo nano filename or sudo vi filename to write to ANY file in /etc.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

tchichua25

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm
You need to use sudo nano filename or sudo vi filename to write to ANY file in /etc.
Yes I have done every step properly.
Everything was working fine a month ago. Today I got a new project and this problem came out.
Can you also delete one of this posts. Internet lagged and accidentally posted it twice.
Thanks

gjtorikian

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 am

I have also hit the same problem and have yet to find a solution: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=189889&p=1194238#p1194238

Good luck with your problem, if I find something I'll let you know, and if you find something out, I'd appreciate some information, too.

Most of the replies I've received have been from people who have not read or understood the problem ("Your wifi is turned off!" "Are you sure you have a wireless network?") and yours is the first one I've seen matching my problem (the interface on the Pi itself seems to be down).

elkberry

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:52 am

What access rights does /etc/dhcpcd.conf in your setup have? As it belongs to the dhcpcd package, your can try to reinstall this specific package. Did you run a file system check to make sure that this hasn't been an unfortunate byproduct of a crash that accidentally killed some access rights?
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

scrabble80

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:15 pm

I ran across a similar problem today. In my case, the reason was that I was logged in as a new user, which I added after installing the pi os. By default, the 'pi' user belongs to most groups that can control interfaces etc. but my new user was not in those groups.

So I edited the /etc/group file to add my new user to the same groups as the pi user.

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/group
(or just follow the guide here)

These group 'pi' belonged to were:

pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev gpio i2c spi

As others have pointed out this is most likely a permissions issue.. If the above is not the issue then check which user/group can read/write to /etc/dhcpcd.config by executing the following command in a termal:

ls -l /etc/dhcpcd.config
The returned output will be in the following format:

rwxr-xr-x 2 owner group 4096 Aug 12 19:12 dhcpcd.config

gjtorikian

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:02 pm

scrabble80 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:15 pm
As others have pointed out this is most likely a permissions issue.. If the above is not the issue then check which user/group can read/write to /etc/dhcpcd.config by executing the following command in a termal:

ls -l /etc/dhcpcd.config
The returned output will be in the following format:

rwxr-xr-x 2 owner group 4096 Aug 12 19:12 dhcpcd.config
Thanks for your help. I am logged om as the `pi` user, and my groups match yours:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ whoami
pi
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ groups pi
pi : pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev spi i2c gpio
However, that file you typed does not exist:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo ls -l /etc/dhcpcd.config
ls: cannot access /etc/dhcpcd.config: No such file or directory
To be clear, this is a fresh install. Any ideas?

DirkS

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 pm

That should be /etc/dhcpcd.conf

gjtorikian

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Still no go for me, then. The group is netdev, which the pi user is a part of.

windy54

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:31 pm

So I have just powered up my PI3 and according to the network ICON on the task bar "no wireless interfaces found", the ICON is just showing two vertical errors.

Yet, when I tap in ifconfig under wlan0 I have a valid IP address and can connect via the wireless to the internet.

This is the first time I have experienced this problem , still using JESSIE. No software has been since I last used the PI3.

Worrying because I was helping a friend setup their PI3 using the following method :

1) use etcher to burn latest jessie to sd card
2) on the root create a file called ssh
3) on the root create a wpa_supplicant.conf file with wifi details

the task bar displayed the same status, i.e. no wireless networks found.

Because the above steps with the same wpa_supplicant file had worked the day before (on same network) we concluded that there is a problem with the wifi on the PI3.
this may not have been the case.
has anyone experienced the same problem and sorted out what is happening?

Steve

mushu999

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 am

I have the very same problem on my Pi Zero W. Jessie shows no network interfaces, yet wireless Internet works just fine and I SSH into it with no problems.

What file(s) does Jessie look at to see if there are any network interfaces? Perhaps Jessie is not running with the correct perms and is unable to read that file(s)?

phrfpeixoto

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 am

Hello!

I solved the issue by deleting /etc/network/interfaces.

On a fresh install the file does not exist. I created it a configured the eth0 interface because I was taking the py on the go, with no wi-fi.
I figured that was the ONLY change I had done in networking, so it oughta be the reason.

Deleted it, rebooted, and there it is. wifi is working again.

Return to “Troubleshooting”