jamesmagnus

Booting from USB

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello

I tried to boot my raspberry pi from WD PiDrive following these instructions:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

The pi boot perfectly well from the HDD but when I reboot it doesn't boot. I need to unplug both the pi and the HDD to boot again.

Does someone know anything about the USB power settings or something else to allow reboot without unplug the power?
Thank you :)

WD PiDrive page:
http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/wd-pidriv ... anguage=en

DougieLawson

Re: Booting from USB

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 pm

What did you start with?
Was it plain Raspbian Jessie 2017-07-05?
What's in /boot/cmdline.txt?
What's in /etc/fstab?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesmagnus

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:15 pm

I downloaded it today, it's Raspbian Jessie 2017-07-05 image.

Content of /boot/cmdline.txt:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=99f05832-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
Content of /etc/fstab:

proc 		/proc		proc	defaults			0	0
PARTUUID=99f05832-01	/boot	vfat		defaults		0	2
PARTUUID=99f05832-02	/		ext4		defaults,noatime		0	1

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 am

How did you get that Raspbian download on to your USB device?

If you simply used dd or etcher to write it straight on to the device it should carry the partuuids and should work. Any other way of copying the unzipped download to your USB device may muck that up.

Stick the USB in your Raspberry (booted from an SDCard) and run sudo blkid and post the output here. We also need to check that the USB boot OTP bit is set with a vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17: command.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

BlackKnight_UK

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 am

jamesmagnus wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 pm
Hello

I tried to boot my raspberry pi from WD PiDrive following these instructions:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md
The PiDrive should come with an SD card with WD's version of NOOBs. You shouldn't need the instructions from that page to get your PiDrive to boot from the HD.

Have a look here http://wdlabs.wd.com/downloads/

You can download the WD version of NOOBs which will install Raspbian to your PiDrive.

jamesmagnus

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am

Hi everyone and thanks for your help, it works ! I just updated the kernel and firmware using rpi-update, and now I can reboot from HDD without SD card. :D

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:01 am

jamesmagnus wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am
Hi everyone and thanks for your help, it works ! I just updated the kernel and firmware using rpi-update, and now I can reboot from HDD without SD card. :D
Don't get in a habit of doing rpi-update, it can leave (and in my case has left) your RPi unbootable.

drencor

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 pm

I have a Thermaltake Blac X Duet that I have not been able to boot off of any HDD I have tried in it.

I have tested the same image on a normal USB Flash Drive and it does boot from that.

When I loaded into Raspbian from the microSD card and check for the drives Raspbian sees it sees the HDD's and the partitions on each of the HDD's that are plugged into the HDD dock. Just not sure why the firmware is not able to find the files to load from the HDD dock.

Any ideas of things for me to try?

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 am

Add (or increase)

rootdelay=10
in /boot/cmdline.txt.

There are some USB carriers that simply don't wake-up quick enough. I've had a RPF firmware issue open for months trying to get a RPi model B+ booting with just "bootcode.bin" on an otherwise empty SDCard with the rest of the stuff on a USB hard-drive.

drencor

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:43 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 am
Add (or increase)

rootdelay=10
in /boot/cmdline.txt.

There are some USB carriers that simply don't wake-up quick enough. I've had a RPF firmware issue open for months trying to get a RPi model B+ booting with just "bootcode.bin" on an otherwise empty SDCard with the rest of the stuff on a USB hard-drive.
Thank you for the tip, but sadly it didn't help.

So far I am now at two USB 3.0 Flash Drives that I can boot from fine via USB with no microSD card in the microSD card slot.

I have tried a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter that also will not allow me to boot from with any of my 2.5" HDD's. That same device does work if I boot Raspbian off of the microSD card.

So the USB 3.0 Flash Drives work fine as boot devices, but not understanding why the USB 3.0 to SATA adapter or the USB 3.0 to SATA dock aren't working for booting.

BeauSlim

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 am

I ran into this today. Using a 16GB Kingston Datatraveler 4G boots my 3B just fine, but a "reboot" doesn't come back, requiring a power cycle.

Adding rootdelay=15 to the end of the cmdline.txt didn't seem to help.

BUT, adding program_usb_boot_timeout=1 to /boot/config.txt and a shutdown + power cycle (remove it after) and I can now reboot without issues.

Return to “Troubleshooting”