ski522

Popping/Static noise between songs

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:50 pm

When running pianobar (Pandora Terminal client) or playing music via XBMC, I get an awful popping/clunking/static noise between each song transistion via the analog jack (haven't tried HDMI). For you old timers it's a lot like the sound you get droppping the needle onto a spinning record.

I suspect it's a problem with ALSA driver as I also the following message in pianobar
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.front
Tried a search, but found quite a few sound entries...anyone have any suggestions, really wrecks my intent of using the PI to play music when I have to listen to that popping/clunking noise between each song.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Popping/Static noise between songs

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Much work has been done recently to improve analog sound output, if you use the latest kernel version you should find large improvements. For more info search the forum.
HDMI sound is much better than analog.

ski522

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm using the latest kernel (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian). I have HDMI running to my TV set for video, but don't want to turn on my TV to just listen to Pandora or CD's I've ripped to FLAC.

I did come across this post http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=14968, but having trouble with rpi-update working.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 pm

The most informative thread is this one http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=10538 and obviously the github entry, which is where all the work on improving the software is done. https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... und-Issues

ski522

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks for the links...my problem isn't static, music actually sounds great (relatively speaking)...it's the popping noise between songs. If I had to guess, it's probably related to the opening and closing of the alsa driver between each song. I'll keep an eye on the github entry and watch for improvements.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm

What I understood that the latest patches actually made the plopping (caused by turning on the PWM engine) worse, and that they are looking for a solution. To me it seems the obvious solution would be never to turn the PWM engine off, just set it at a 50% duty cycle, even when it uses a few mA, but perhaps there are issues I don't know about.

rhobbis

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

I'm getting this too - it's extremely annoying and loud.
I'm running the latest Raspbmc on a 256Mb Pi with analogue audio going to the stereo. (HDMI goes to the TV, which has tiny speakers). It happens using all of the 'Play Using...' options.
The music itself is great, it's just the pop between tracks that's bugging me, and use as a media centre was one of the main reasons I got the Pi.

here's hoping for a fix one day ...

RaTTuS

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 am

the best way is to use the HDMI for sound also ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ski522

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

RaTTuS wrote:the best way is to use the HDMI for sound also ...
And how do you propose he does that if he's using the HDMI connection for his TV?

Best bet for now is to get a USB DAC, the one I found in this post works great http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... t=non+hdmi

RaTTuS

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 pm

not wanting to go the usb way I had seen an HDMI audio splitter - but cannot fine the link now.
it was in the area of about £25 or so ..
the TV may have a audio pass though or even audio out. [Mine does out that is not passthough]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ski522

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm

RaTTuS wrote:not wanting to go the usb way I had seen an HDMI audio splitter - but cannot fine the link now.
it was in the area of about £25 or so ..
the TV may have a audio pass though or even audio out. [Mine does out that is not passthough]
TV's with audio pass-through generally require TV to be on which is a waste of power. An HDMI audio splitter requires separate power supply not to mention are as much as the cost of the PI themselves...defeats the a low cost solution of using a PI...The best best is a USB DAC.

stunix

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi, I am looking for a cure to this popping issue. I was asked to make a speaking clock for a blind family using cron and an mp3 with words such as "the time is", "five", "past", "eleven" all in a single mp3 file. mpg321 is called to play individual frame sets of the file ie, the words, eventually making the sentence. (message me if you want a copy).
Anyway, it works very well on an old thinkpad, but the pi has this popping and clicking all over it. I will be following this thread to find a solution ... and eventually get my thinkpad back, swapping it with a bit of pi.
stunix.com, simply because its a portmanteau of Stu and Unix. .... yeah, I need a better tag line really!

Peteman100

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:20 pm

The popping sound when start or stopping any kind of audio (movies, music, etc) is still a huge problem. Is it a hardware problem? Or is the software/firmware fix especially difficult? I know audio through HDMI is problem-free but there isn't an easy or inexpensive way to extract and convert to stereo...

stunix

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 pm

i just tried hdmi audio out but the output was just uncontrollable noise. i have a hdmi to 3 phono + vga cable, i expected red and white to be left and right..... no!. maybe the clue is in the question, isnt the "d" in hdmi digital? so a digital decoder of somesort is missing..... fat cable too, doesnt fit in my shirt pocket.
so where are we with 3.5mm out?
I was listening to an ogg192 stream from reidioparadise (shoutcast) and I get pop/clicks between each track.
stunix.com, simply because its a portmanteau of Stu and Unix. .... yeah, I need a better tag line really!

ski522

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 pm

stunix wrote:maybe the clue is in the question, isnt the "d" in hdmi digital? so a digital decoder of somesort is missing.....
Correct...HDMI is a digital signal so you need a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) in order to hear the sound. Many newer receivers have HDMI inputs that provide the DAC internally.

Best bet for now is to just use an USB sound card, see this thread for more info on what I came across and use now http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20866.

ski522

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Peteman100 wrote:The popping sound when start or stopping any kind of audio (movies, music, etc) is still a huge problem. Is it a hardware problem? Or is the software/firmware fix especially difficult? I know audio through HDMI is problem-free but there isn't an easy or inexpensive way to extract and convert to stereo...
Just go with a USB sound card, they can be picked up for cheap. The one I use was $14 with shipping or you can get a USB sound card for less than $5 with shipping...problem solved, popping gone between songs.

redhawk

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:45 pm

If the popping noise is caused by the PWM engine turning on then off why not keep it active for up to 30 seconds, this should provide sufficient time for media players to shuffle between tracks??

Richard S.

stunix

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 pm

ok, I just tried one of those usb sound dongles and restarted., didnt get any output but the led onit did light.
Do I have to tell the pi that im using usb?

redhawk

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Your audio player needs to be told to use a different audio device because it would try to use the on-board sound.
Some apps like qmmp have menu options to change audio device however apps like moc/mocp need their configuration files editing: i.e. AlsaDevice = "hw:1,0"
From what I understand you can blacklist the onboard PI audio so it won't work when the PI boots up (not sure how but search forum).
This basically makes your USB audio dongle the primary audio device and should work without any further tweaking.

Richard S.

ski522

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 pm

stunix wrote:ok, I just tried one of those usb sound dongles and restarted., didnt get any output but the led onit did light.
Do I have to tell the pi that im using usb?
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
change the following line to:

Code: Select all

options snd-usb-audio index=0
reboot

stunix

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 am

which line do I need to comment out in order to ad your "usb" line?

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq ; : ; }
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-emu10k1-synth ; : ; }
# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
[/size]

ski522

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 am

Don't need to comment out anything, just change

options snd-usb-audio index=-2
to what I listed in the prior post.

stunix

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm

ok. tried that. now when playing music the usb dongle flashes and there is a faint electrical whine, that is all. 3.5mm is not operational. Im going to find another usb audio dongle just incase this ones faulty.

redhawk

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Perhaps your audio mixer is set too low?? try running alsamixer make sure you press F6 to select your USB audio dongle device.

Richard S.

blackbicbiro

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 pm

anyone find the problem to the clicking audio. i been looking in to the pwm was mentioned but i can find anything about it apart from motor drivers with i have no interest in lol

Return to “Troubleshooting”