TheMagicGilberto

Absolute newbie to Raspberry Pi, Need advice on booting a di

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 am

So I purchased an 'Raspberry Pi Advanced Kit' from Maplin few days ago. Comes with a keyboard and USB Hub too, great stuff. I got it up and running temporarily with no problems. Raspbian loaded up fine. However I wanted to work on a different distro like Kali or Ubuntu, something I am more familiar with.

So I begin to research tutorials and books online which many say the same when it comes to installing/booting Kali from the SD card. Format, then use Win32DiskImager to image the iso file onto the SD card. I do just that, slot it back into the Pi and lo and behold it comes up with a kernel panic. This is where I get lost...I've tried formating the SD card many times and going through the process again however still no change, even with UbuntuMATE.

http://imgur.com/a/VQcza

Can someone help me out? I don't want to give up on this! :shock:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Absolute newbie to Raspberry Pi, Need advice on booting

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

Personally, I'd use Raspbian, it's the RPF supported OS and has the best support.

For Kali support, try the Kali website. It's not a supported OS on this forum.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

^WHS ,
or if you want really to use kali then what image are you using ? post full links to everything you think may be relevant and what you have done
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

drgeoff

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm

TheMagicGilberto wrote:So I begin to research tutorials and books online which many say the same when it comes to installing/booting Kali from the SD card. Format, then use Win32DiskImager to image the iso file onto the SD card.
If anything you read tells you to format a card before using Win32DiskImager (or Etcher), stop reading it immediately. It has not been written by someone who understands why formatting before writing an image is not necessary. So what else might be incorrect too?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm

TheMagicGilberto wrote:So I purchased an 'Raspberry Pi Advanced Kit' from Maplin few days ago. Comes with a keyboard and USB Hub too, great stuff. I got it up and running temporarily with no problems. Raspbian loaded up fine. However I wanted to work on a different distro like Kali or Ubuntu, something I am more familiar with.

So I begin to research tutorials and books online which many say the same when it comes to installing/booting Kali from the SD card. Format, then use Win32DiskImager to image the iso file onto the SD card. I do just that, slot it back into the Pi and lo and behold it comes up with a kernel panic. This is where I get lost...I've tried formating the SD card many times and going through the process again however still no change, even with UbuntuMATE.

http://imgur.com/a/VQcza

Can someone help me out? I don't want to give up on this! :shock:
If the download is for an .IMG then use Etcher (if the download is a zipped archive then Etcher will unpack and write the .IMG): https://etcher.io/

Win32DiskImager is a pita
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jamesh

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am

Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:04 pm

It states to UNZIP the Raspbian Jessie download, not required as Etcher does "unzip / burn image" :shock: :shock:
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

sdse78

Re: Absolute newbie to Raspberry Pi, Need advice on booting a di

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:11 am

What OS are you using to do the formatting?

For example, I use Mac OS X. I have an app called "Pi Filler". It works great.

I used the same image you're trying to use and it works fine on RPi 3B.

However, I don't have HDMI audio output and over at the Kali Forum, no one seems to have a good solution for that issue. So, beware if you expect to have audio.

Return to “Troubleshooting”