kreisler

How connect to raspi through a Win FTP client?

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Has NE1 successfully transferred files from/to Raspberry Pi 3 through a FTP client on the Windows laptop?

In my WinFTP client i entered "22" as port, "192.168.178.**" as host address (as shown by VNC Server GUI), "Secure SFTP via SSH (Port 22)" as connection type, "**" as user name, "****" as password. The log my client software states
Opening Connection 192.168.178.**:22
Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.7p1 Raspbian-5+deb8u3
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-FZ-Local: Apr 12 2014 11:52:22
Using SSH protocol version 2
Couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,[email protected],[email protected],[email protected])
SSH: Fatal: Couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,[email protected],[email protected],[email protected])
Connection closed
:?

I know that i could use RealVNC software to transfer files back and forth, but i really want to get this SFTP thing working too! I haven't tried other FTP clients yet. Of course, i enabled "SSH" in the Raspberry Pi configuration menu.
Last edited by kreisler on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: How connect to raspi through a Win FTP client?

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 pm

kreisler wrote:Has NE1 successfully transferred files from/to Raspberry Pi 3 through a FTP client on the Windows laptop?

In my WinFTP client i entered "22" as port, "192.168.178.27" as host address (as shown by VNC Server GUI), "Secure SFTP via SSH (Port 22)" as connection type, "pi" as user name, "raspberry" as password. The log my client software states
Opening Connection 192.168.178.27:22
Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.7p1 Raspbian-5+deb8u3
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-FZ-Local: Apr 12 2014 11:52:22
Using SSH protocol version 2
Couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,[email protected],[email protected],[email protected])
SSH: Fatal: Couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,[email protected],[email protected],[email protected])
Connection closed
:?

I know that i could use RealVNC software to transfer files back and forth, but i really want to get this SFTP thing working too! I haven't tried other FTP clients yet. Of course, i enabled "SSH" in the Raspberry Pi configuration menu.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... te-access/
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

kreisler

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Oki thanks got it working!!

Btw i disabled VNC in the Raspberry Configuration menu. Maybe the VNC server interferes with the SFTP protocol ;)

kreisler

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:53 pm

A quick follow-up, sharing some experience/info from a beginner's POV:

FileZilla might work for our purposes but it does not support WinXP. My Win test machine is a XP machine. (Btw the Win32/64 VNC Viewer application, which could be used for convenient file transfer too, does not support WinXP either.)

I tried the latest 30-day trial version of SmartFTP and the connection didn't follow through. FAIL. I liked SmartFTP when it was FREE. If you can get SmartFTP to establish sftp connection with raspi, please let us know.

I tried FlashFXP 5.x and it didn't work until after a few tries with different settings or maybe i got the password wrong my bad lol. The log actually hinted me at a wrong password. Now it does the job beautifully.

I tried Totalcommander w/ SFTP plugin from Google Play Store. Feels like 80's piece of software and certainly looks like it. A workhorse client appreciated by old users who grew up with the birth of Win3.11 software like my colleagues and neighbors. It does the job! SFTP on an Android phone, i'd recommend Totalcommander, it is FREE after all. There are much better more modern all-in-one file manager for Android, like X-plore, but their relevant functions cost $.$$, ouch.

Finally i figured out how to use my installed file manager Dopus (Directory Opus, ever heard of it?) for the task. Point is, Dopus10 fails. But the latest version of Dopus11 does the job! Dopus12 was released 12 months ago, but is maybe not needed on a XP-machine.

Of course, one should enable/activate SSH on the raspi (Raspberry > Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration > Interfaces: > SSH: > Enable > OK) . I enabled VNC too, and it doesn't seem to interfere with my SFTP actions. To me, using the default file manager (Dopus11) on my old Windows machine for accessing the raspi file system and copying data back and forth feels like the most natural, direct and most elegant method of all. Definitely no need to use USB flash drives (USB memory sticks/thumb drives/pen drives) for this purpose, the transfer of files.

I am glad that i figured it out. And i am slowly growing more and more fond of my cute raspi :P

Return to “Troubleshooting”