Brad Spencer

New Pi Zero W brcmfmac failures and can't start wlan0 WiFi

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 am

Sorry for the cross post, but I am starting to suspect I have a hardware problem on my new Pi Zero W. I've never worked with these before, but I am a long time (~15 years) Debian user. I've posted the details of my problem at https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... wlan0-wifi

I'm basically installing vanilla images and seeing syslog errors that seem to be driver errors communicating with the hardware and I can never get wlan0 to start up.

Hopefully someone here has an idea on what to try next. Thanks.

mattmiller

Re: New Pi Zero W brcmfmac failures and can't start wlan0 Wi

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:23 am

Trying to setup a PiZeroW headlessly without another working Pi to compare/test is always going to be problematical

Best way (until your HDMI adaptor arrives) would be to try and meet up with someone else with a working system and swap stuff around to see if it is the hardware.

I'd stick with just using the 2017-04-10 full raspbian image as that is a known working image so no point in playing around with any others.

ssh.txt and wpa-supplicant.conf are the only files that are needed and no others should be changed.

But do you have an android phone that you can use for a hotspot?
if so - set it up with no password and SSID = TEST and try this known working wpa-supplicant.conf

Code: Select all

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="TEST"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=NONE
}

pi_everalm

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 pm

A few folks (myself included) have had problems with the Pi0W wireless and BT with one, other or both suddenly stopping working. Nothing you do will resurrect the connectivity and I have returned and replaced my Pi0W's with the vendor.

A possible quickie check to work around connectivity (assuming you are using a Wintel box and have a micro SD card adapter)

Download PiBakery. http://www.pibakery.org/
Build your image including the Ethernet over USB gadget section in "OTG"
SSH will be installed by default
Burn to SD card
Boot RPi, it will do all the setup

Connect through the IP address you set up and then you should be able to SSH in and trouble shoot

(Make sure the USB cable you use to connect to the PC for Ethernet connectivity is a data cable, a surprising number of cheapo ones used for charging phones etc are ONLY 2 strand and not 4 strand charge and data)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 am

Could be related to this issue currently under investigation.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1342
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

ceaswaran

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:28 am

mattmiller wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:23 am
Trying to setup a PiZeroW headlessly without another working Pi to compare/test is always going to be problematical

Best way (until your HDMI adaptor arrives) would be to try and meet up with someone else with a working system and swap stuff around to see if it is the hardware.

I'd stick with just using the 2017-04-10 full raspbian image as that is a known working image so no point in playing around with any others.

ssh.txt and wpa-supplicant.conf are the only files that are needed and no others should be changed.

But do you have an android phone that you can use for a hotspot?
if so - set it up with no password and SSID = TEST and try this known working wpa-supplicant.conf

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="TEST"
    scan_ssid=1
    key_mgmt=NONE
}

No Password Mobile hotspot wpa-supplicant.conf works but hotspot with password (WPA2 PSK) dosent work.
Please help

HawaiianPi

Re: New Pi Zero W brcmfmac failures and can't start wlan0 WiFi

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:00 am

If you can get to a point that you have access to your Pi0W, like over SSH, a serial console cable, or with a keyboard and screen, then try the following command.

cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model;echo
If it says you have a model B instead of a Pi Zero W, you'll need to return it for a new one (it's defective).

I have a pre-configured Raspbian Lite USB Gadget mode image here:
2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite_Pi0-USB.zip

Just write it to a card with Etcher and boot it up with the Pi0W connected to your main PC USB with a micro USB data cable plugged into the Pi0W data port (not the power port). If it boots and you see a new USB Ethernet RNDIS gadget install, you should be able to SSH over USB to troubleshoot the Pi.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”