Tdi-Me

Wired ssh issue

Sat May 13, 2017 2:43 pm

I am really new to using a pi. I just got my pi3 in the mail yesturday. I was able to get raspberrian jessie up and running without any real issues. I was working on installing plex media server on it but it did not work out. I followed this guide: https://www.element14.com/community/com ... berry-pi-3
Everything seems to have gone well minus the plex service starting.
This process also had me run updates on the pi which i think all went through properly.
My pi is connected by wired ethernet for internet connectivity. I plan to use this as a media server for the home so it is in a location with a hardwired connection right to the main switch for the house and ap's to try keeping latency down.
My problem is now after doing this and rebooting a couple of times i can not maintain a stable ssh connection to the pi. I get to the login screen and enter my username and then when i go to enter the password it drops connection.

emgi

Re: Wired ssh issue

Sat May 13, 2017 3:41 pm

This smells (again) like a power supply issue. :mrgreen:

drgeoff

Re: Wired ssh issue

Sat May 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Tdi-Me wrote:My problem is now after doing this and rebooting a couple of times i can not maintain a stable ssh connection to the pi. I get to the login screen and enter my username and then when i go to enter the password it drops connection.
Are you sure the ssh connection is dropping? It is normal in Linux systems that nothing, not even asterisks, is shown on screen when entering passwords.

So, if lack of anything happening on screen is the reason you say the ssh connection is dropping, try typing the password followed by the ENTER key.

Return to “Troubleshooting”