rock_rebel

Quake 3 random shutdown

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:04 am

In playing Quake 3 today I was mid-way through the game when it crashed, and I was brought back to the Pi terminal. Could this be caused by the power supply? I'm using a BlackBerry charger rated at 700mA, the bare recommended minimum. It works for for basic operating tasks but I've never played high intensity games on my Pi before.

felix123

Re: Quake 3 random shutdown

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 am

Did you overclock?

malakai

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:16 am

I believe what I have read is the power supply is likely the issue as the game will ramp up to needing closer to 1 amp but overclocking may be causing the issue as well. With my Blackberry charger I can't even get the game to go past a stage without the reboot without overclocking just got a new 1 amp supply going to give it a try as somehow your at least getting past me
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

rock_rebel

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 am

I did have it overclocked with the new firmware but the game wasn't playable. Right now I'm just using the normal speed of 700MHz, in which the game runs fine, but it still crashed while playing.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:25 am

rock_rebel wrote:I did have it overclocked with the new firmware but the game wasn't playable. Right now I'm just using the normal speed of 700MHz, in which the game runs fine, but it still crashed while playing.
Almost certainly insufficient power supply:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

Genius23008

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 pm

I would totally agree with the last comment - yes, it probably is a shortage on power. I usually have my Raspberry Pi set to 'Turbo' mode in the latest Wheezy image. Works so well - GUI programs launch instantly, and so forth - but to do that I made sure that I had a 1 AMP charger laying around. I suggest that you ditch the Blackberry charger and go for a 1 amp one - have you got a kindle? ;)

BadWolf1959

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 am

It's not always just about how many mili-amps the supply pushes! I've got a bare minimum/cheap 700mA phone charger running my Pi. I'm currently running maxed turbo, have in the past manually OC'd it up to 1000MHz, and have had NO issues yet.

Having said all that, the first phone charger i used (made by the exact same company, and same specs) gave me start up troubles.......I finally got out the trusty old volt meter and checked the Pi across TP1-TP2. #1 charger was only putting out 4.45V, #2 charger puts out 4.93V......do I need to tell you which one I kept??

Voltage matters!! (seems I've heard that about size also?)
If my former sig offended you I am sorry...it was a quote from Douglas Adams - HHGTTG

Return to “Troubleshooting”