youness

Bluetooth (A2DP/HSP) chip BCM 43438

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi all,
There again to discuss the problem of Bluetooth headset not working with Raspberry Pi 3.

I've done so many tries to make it working, but for the moment only A2DP is 100% OK.
For HSP/HFP, I can select the profile headset_head_unit but no sound is in or out.
http://youness.net/raspberry-pi/bluetoo ... spberry-pi

Other people reported me that HSP works for them, but only by using USB-Bluetooth dongles.

So now I'm suspecting the combo chip Broadcom 43438, I think the problem comes from here.

My questions are:
- How can we get the firmware of this chip? Nothing found in Google.
- How can we check if its drivers and modules are enabled and working?
- How to see Bluetooth logs in Raspberry Pi?

Thank you.

Douglas6

Re: Bluetooth (A2DP/HSP) chip BCM 43438

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm

I haven't heard of anyone getting HSP/HFP working on a Pi; I'd be interested in any information that it's working on a Pi.

I doubt if you're going to find the proprietary Cypress firmware. Bluetoothd logs to the standard /var/log/syslog file; I forget if you can adjust the logging level. Check 'man bluetoothd'.

youness

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Douglas6 wrote:I haven't heard of anyone getting HSP/HFP working on a Pi; I'd be interested in any information that it's working on a Pi.

I doubt if you're going to find the proprietary Cypress firmware. Bluetoothd logs to the standard /var/log/syslog file; I forget if you can adjust the logging level. Check 'man bluetoothd'.
Hello Douglas, It's been a while :)
I'll buy a USB-Bluetooth dongle this weekend to test it myself.
But I'm quite sure now that the problem is no more PulseAudio, but the hardware of Raspberry Pi.
You can check in the end of comments of my blog post.

For firmware, I find some firmware from other Linux OS I will try them.

Thank you. I keep you informed.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:57 pm

OK, I didn't see any convincing evidence of HSP/HFP success versus A2DP. HSP (in particular) has been around awhile; I'd be surprised if a new chip doesn't support it. You can always try to get it working with a dongle. If you can, remove the dongle and try again. But you've been working at this much harder than me. Best of luck, and please keep us informed.

youness

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:53 am

Here you go, all this tested by myself again today and 100% working:

Connect Bluetooth Headset To Raspberry Pi 3 (AD2P only)
http://youness.net/raspberry-pi/bluetoo ... -ad2p-only

Connect Bluetooth Headset To Raspberry Pi 3 (A2DP & HSP)
http://youness.net/raspberry-pi/bluetoo ... 3-ad2p-hsp

The next step is to find solution for the chipset BCM43438.

To be continued...

Douglas6

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Great work! I don't have an HSP compatible headset, so I can't test this, but I'll refer folks looking for an HSP solution to your website. I'm still surprised the on-board adapter isn't working, but I guess that's Bluetooth for ya.

youness

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Douglas6 wrote:Great work! I don't have an HSP compatible headset, so I can't test this, but I'll refer folks looking for an HSP solution to your website. I'm still surprised the on-board adapter isn't working, but I guess that's Bluetooth for ya.
Do you want me to check for HFP profile? I can give it a try with my phone.

And yes I was very surprised when I found that Raspberry Pi 3 is causing all that (I'm electronics engineer...), I had to inspect it from the first day. I'm not pessimist I think it is just a matter of firmware that we need to install.

Irvaan Sid

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 am

I am also working in this regard. Is it really impossible to implement HSP and HFP profile using the inbuilt bluetooth chip? And also, is it sure that we will get expected results if we use a USB bluetooth dongle? If so, can you please suggest a USB dongle.

bluetiger9

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 am

For anyone interested, we found the solution to use the HSP profile with Raspberry Pi 3’s built in BCM43438 chip:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -359233111

Return to “Troubleshooting”