SteveSpencer

apt-get upgrade having problems

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:31 pm

I routinely run

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
to make sure I have the latest packages.
However, today is not going according to plan. I did the usual, and wolfram-engine is upgradeable. Since I'm not on a metered connection, I accepted the update. That was some time ago. I am now seeing a screen full of

Code: Select all

Get:134 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian jessie/main wolfram-engine armhf 11.0.1+2017031701 [240MB]
65% [134 wolfram-engine 157 MB/240 MB 65%]
where the percentage is creeping up slowly, as is the 134 number, and the 157 MB.

I'm guessing it is having to reconnect to the mirror to complete the download.
Is there a problem within the raspberrypi.org infrastructure?
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

davidcoton

Re: apt-get upgrade having problems

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 pm

As I hope you have found by now, that is the normal progress indication for a large upgrade being downloaded. The percentage is how far through the downloads you are (based on total size), 134 is the number of files downloaded so far (including the current one), 157 represents the amount downloaded, and 240 is the total amount to be downloaded.
Signature retired

SteveSpencer

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks for that. I have never noticed before, presumably because I normally wander off and do something else once it's started.
Presumably then, there are lots of individual pieces that make up the package, rather than a single one which is often the case.

It is taking rather a long time though, as there is still 20MB to go and I started __ages__ ago. I know my network connection is otherwise OK, so maybe it's lots of other people doing the same thing and hitting the servers...
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

davidcoton

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:59 pm

With today's news the UK internet will probably be at a crawl.
Signature retired

Return to “Troubleshooting”