S_aver

octoprint printing slow

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am

Hi,
i've installed octoprint to my pi 3 b, and everything is connecting perfect and well,
but when i print something thru octoprint, it prints really, really slow, like in bursts.
It seems to me that the pi is not able to send the data to printer fast enough.
Anyone having this issue, and maybe a solution?
Thx.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: octoprint printing slow

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:44 pm

I have a Pi3B talking to a SeeMeCNC Orion Delta. It works fine. So it is not the fault of the hardware.

Can you take the Pi out of the loop and use a laptop with the same cable? That would show whether it was the printer or USB cable that was at fault.

If that prints fast then we would have to think about a USB connection problem or other stuff running on the Pi. OctoPi is fairly intensive; I don't think it worked smoothly until the Pi3 came along. Which is a shame; my new Pi Zero W with its camera in the case would be perfect for the job but it's far too slow.

S_aver

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:37 pm

I connected with laptop, and it prints fast without problem.
So not the usb or cable. :?
It's weird, because i have seen people with same setup and printing without problems, that said, i have seen people with same issues, only with older versions of pi, like you mentioned.

S_aver

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm printing with an anet a8 btw.

emgi

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:12 pm

S_aver wrote:I'm printing with an anet a8 btw.
OK, you asked the question in multiple threads but at leastt here I can see the issue is exclusively when using Octoprint.
The camera is the biggest resource eater. Is it a supported camera or did you need extensive tweaking to get it to work?
Might be an idea to switch it off or use it with reduced framerate.
Mine is runing fine at 10 fps and its a Trust:

Code: Select all

ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia Sonix USB 2.0 Camera
For the USB connection speed I'm using not the highest setting but the next in sequence, I believe its 115200 bps.
Higher speeds introduce more errors and therefore can work counterproductive. You may want to try that also.
If nothing helps, check your logs and/or try a different type of SD card.

And if you manage t fix it, let us know so that others may benefit too. :mrgreen:

As an afterthought:
I'm using wired ethernet instead of wlan. With a poor wifi connection this can also be a potential culprit.

Return to “Troubleshooting”