martinji

Pi not starting properly.... unusable.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi, I've recently puchased a RaspberryPi 3b. I followed the instructions on how to install Raspbian from the pre-loaded microSd card. All seemed well and I was able to use the device for a few days, only web browsing at this point, but it worked. Now, when I power the device, I get a page full of codes, with the last line being "exitcode=0x00007f00. The cdm textline is as followed;
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consolesdwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
Is my device damaged ? I am not very Linux savvy so from what I read on some of the forums here, it appears there is a solution but it all seems beyond me. Can it be repaired or must I send the device back to seller ?
Thank you very much for any help available
Martin

k-pi

Re: Pi not starting properly.... unusable.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Personally, I'd re install the operating system, probably easiest solution, especially for a newbie. :)
(Seems like something went wrong somewhere & has possibly corrupted the system.)

martinji

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi K-pi, and thank you for your response. I did try to re-install the OS but unfortunately at around 78% it seems to stop the install process and goes to the page where you have the Recovery option "shift-key". And that's what puzzles me, why can't I reformat and install fresh. I did put the MicroSD card in the usb adaptor and went through the files on there using a different pc. There's so many files on there I wouldn't know what to remove. Any other ideas ?
Thank you

Texas-Mark

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Assuming you are using Windows, get SDFormatter 4.0 and reformat the card (or another card) using the "Format size adjustment - on" option. Then get Win32DiskImager and use it to install a fresh image of Raspbian (not lite) downloaded from here. IMO don't mess with NOOBS, it just makes things more difficult in the long run.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

k-pi

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am

If re imaging your disk isn't working, I'd suspect a damaged disk, try again with a quality disk, (not a cheap 'bargain buy' off the internet, as those tend to be 'seconds'). ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 am

You mean 'fakes'. ;)

use a testing program to detect fake cards.
Unscrupulous people (criminals) buy cheap low capacity SD-cards, re-program their controllers to report capacities they really do not have, and relabel them as high end high capacity cards and sell them through irregular channels like e-bay for a large mark-up.

jahboater

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am

Texas-Mark wrote:Assuming you are using Windows, get SDFormatter 4.0 and reformat the card (or another card) using the "Format size adjustment - on" option. Then get Win32DiskImager and use it to install a fresh image of Raspbian (not lite) downloaded from here. IMO don't mess with NOOBS, it just makes things more difficult in the long run.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Yes, but don't do the format first! its just a waste of time and unneeded wear and tear on the SD card. Unzip the image and use Win32DiskImager (on windows) or dd (on Linux) to write the image to the disk. The image contains two partitions already set up and formatted (the image is a complete copy of a pre-installed system). The image will overwrite any formatting you have done before. So forget about SDFormatter 4.0, you do not need it - not using NOOBs is even simpler!
Last edited by jahboater on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphanumeric

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:11 am

Make sure your shutting down properly. Pulling the power when not fully shut down can corrupt your card. ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting”