rp108
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:41 pm

I have RPi 2
Raspian Jessie 1-11-2017

I can ping PI on my LAN.
I can SSH into Pi from Win7 machine.
I have User rob who is in adm group.

When I attempt to connect with rob I get error as shown in the attached

image.

It seems strange that it says I am connecting to 127.0.0.1 (me) but in a

youtube training video it shows the same thing, but the youtube vid is

successful at connecting.

I thought that maybe the xrdp server was not running, but other posts on this

site indicate that xrdp is always running.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
rp108
RemoteDesktopConnection_error_connecting_all-2.jpg
RemoteDesktopConnection_error_connecting_all-2.jpg (57.75 KiB) Viewed 5260 times

rp108
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:43 pm

I am not sure if the image will be readable, so here is the text in the error message:


Connecting to sesman ip 127.0.0.1 port 3350
sesman connect ok
sending login info ......
xrdp_process_login_response: login successful ......
started connecting
connecting to 127.0.0.1:5910
error - problem connecting

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 22636
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:45 pm

rp108 wrote:I have RPi 2
Raspian Jessie 1-11-2017

I can ping PI on my LAN.
I can SSH into Pi from Win7 machine.
I have User rob who is in adm group.

When I attempt to connect with rob I get error as shown in the attached

image.

It seems strange that it says I am connecting to 127.0.0.1 (me) but in a

youtube training video it shows the same thing, but the youtube vid is

successful at connecting.

I thought that maybe the xrdp server was not running, but other posts on this

site indicate that xrdp is always running.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
rp108
RemoteDesktopConnection_error_connecting_all-2.jpg
There is a conflict between XRDP and RealVNC in Raspbian Jessie, see the Blog:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel

Please note that if you already use xrdp to remotely access your Pi, this conflicts with the RealVNC server, so you shouldn’t install both at once. If you’re updating an existing image, don’t run the sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server line in the instructions below. If you want to use xrdp on a clean image, first uninstall the RealVNC server with sudo apt-get purge realvnc-vnc-server before installing xrdp. (If the above paragraph means nothing to you, then you probably aren’t using xrdp, so you don’t have to worry about any of it!)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

rp108
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks Fruitoftheloom,

Not sure what to do.

I installed xrdp on a fresh install of Jessie.
That install, I believe, also installed the VNC server.
I have read posts that says that xrdp NEEDS the VNC server.

The blog post you referenced left me a bit in a quandary.
If I purge VNC, should I expect xrdp, then, to work?

Many thanks !
rp108

klricks
Posts: 7031
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:35 pm

rp108 wrote:Thanks Fruitoftheloom,

Not sure what to do.

I installed xrdp on a fresh install of Jessie.
That install, I believe, also installed the VNC server.
I have read posts that says that xrdp NEEDS the VNC server.

The blog post you referenced left me a bit in a quandary.
If I purge VNC, should I expect xrdp, then, to work?

Many thanks !
rp108
If you want to use xrdp then you have to remove RealVNC as explained in the blog.
However IMO why not use the installed RealVNC instead? RealVNC is MUCH improved over xrdp / Remote desktop.
You only need to download the viewer app from here: https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
To use RealVNC you must remove xrdp from the RPi.
Last edited by klricks on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

rp108
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Ooooops,

It's not free.
Already removed xrdp.
OOOppps.

Thanks for replying,
rp108

klricks
Posts: 7031
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 pm

rp108 wrote:Ooooops,

It's not free.
Already removed xrdp.
OOOppps.

Thanks for replying,
rp108
Not sure what you mean????????????
The viewer is free and here is download page: https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
Note you use the Windows version. The RPi version is what is already installed in Rasbian.
The Windows version doesn't' even require an install. Just run the EXE.

Edit:
Sorry for the confusion: The Web site is confusing.... You need the VNC Viewer software not VNC Connect. The VNC viewer is free and never expires. I edited my previous post to give a better link......
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

rp108
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:55 am

Thank-you so much for continuing to assist.

I created a new iso, just in case the removal process for xrdp caused problems.

I have the VNC viewer now.

When I attempt to connect to the PI with the Viewer, I get:
The Connection was refused by the computer.

Any ideas?
Does the VNC server on the Pi need to be turned on?

Thanks again,
rp108

rp108
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 am

OK !

Whoopeee doo

Got it working with raspi-config.
Hope it works next time at boot!

Thanks so much for sticking with me.

If you ever need free Electronic Engineering advice, look me up.

Best to you,
rp108

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 22636
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can't connect to xrdp server with Win Desktop

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:40 am

rp108 wrote:Thank-you so much for continuing to assist.

I created a new iso, just in case the removal process for xrdp caused problems.

I have the VNC viewer now.

When I attempt to connect to the PI with the Viewer, I get:
The Connection was refused by the computer.

Any ideas?
Does the VNC server on the Pi need to be turned on?

Thanks again,
rp108
You do not use a .ISO, the without NoobS Operating Systems are in .IMG format !!
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.


Return to “Troubleshooting”