bitnix

Bluetooth speaker issues (Pi 3)

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I am able to connect my Oontz Angle to my Pi, but after a few seconds or minutes, audio stops coming out of the speaker. What's weird is if I'm watching Youtube and when this happens, the video will stop and display the loading circle until the speaker is shut off and the video begins playing normally again. Also, when I had Blueman installed and when the issue occurred, the program would freeze and become unresponsive until the speaker was shut off.

Is this a known issue? Are there any workarounds? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

bitnix

Re: Bluetooth speaker issues (Pi 3)

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Bump

fraser

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:28 pm

The only similar problem I've seen is with PulseAudio, are you using that?

There is a setting which for me was causing PA to drop the connection. It is in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf look for:
exit-idle-time
I have it set to -1. If it's commented out then it's probably uncommenting and setting to -1 to rule it out.

recklessfb

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:45 pm

I've had this problem for a while now. My bluetooth speaker connection will drop after an hour or sometimes hours. I tried 3 different sd cards. Had one sd card running pulseaudio 6 and bluez 5.43 and I still had that problem.
Last week I did a fresh install. I used the raspbian image(not noobs) I still have bluetooth disconnects.
The recuring problem i've seen is that the bluetooth module stops working.
Bluetoothct cannot find any devices when I run the scan.

bitnix

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10 pm

fraser wrote:The only similar problem I've seen is with PulseAudio, are you using that?

There is a setting which for me was causing PA to drop the connection. It is in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf look for:
exit-idle-time
I have it set to -1. If it's commented out then it's probably uncommenting and setting to -1 to rule it out.
Hello. I do have PulseAudio. I set exit-idle-time to -1 and tried again but the problem persists.

bitnix

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Bump

recklessfb

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 pm

bitnix wrote:Bump
What is your set up like? Are you using the onboard wifi and bluetooth? There seems to be an issue with those 2 conflicting and causing the bluetooth to crash. See viewtopic.php?f=28&t=140471&hilit=bluetooth

First thing you should do is get rid of blueman, if you're on pixel. Pixel comes with its own bluetooth GUI but I would say stay away from it until you can find out why the connection is dropping.
Use bluetoothctl to connect to the speaker.
Can you reconnect to your speaker when the connection drops or do you have to restart your pi to be able to connect again?

After the bluetooth connection drops, open terminal and use to bluetoothctl to scan your bluetooth devices. If you're having the same problem I have, the scan will probably detect no devices.

Code: Select all

bluetoothctl
power on
agent on
default-agent
scan on

Return to “Troubleshooting”