Girafferl

Re: Pi3 Wifi not working

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:59 am

I had no Wifi problem using Raspbian, but I prefer Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

Under Ubuntu I don't get Wifi running. I can't find useful solutions on the net either, which I find quite strange since there must be many Using Ubuntu+Wifi!?

Wifi chip is not found/driver missing.
Some useful info maybe: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi ... Bugs_filed

Ubuntu workes like a charm and is absolutely fast enough (with proper SD-card), but we really need Wifi!

cheers

filippos

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 pm

OK I've found it after all !!!
Get this:

Code: Select all

# wget 'http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_0.43+rpi4_all.deb'
Then install it with

# dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_0.43+rpi4_all.deb
and reboot

SeanHowson

Solution - disappointing. Re: Pi3 Wifi not working

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:57 pm

sorry for the delayed reply, You may all be interested to know, i used the generous refund i got for the PI, to buy another from PiHut, it arrived, wifi worked straight out of the box, upon comparison there are definitely a few differences to the boards, im not suggesting the first is fake, but if anyone would like to confirm my suspicions feel free, or perhaps build upon them feel free.

the differences are as follows:
The board without the working wifi did not have any engraved markings on top of the usb sockets, the new working one has a few letters engraved on top of the usb slots, perhaps the socket suppliers mark?

The USB slots on the non working model also look to be a slightly cheaper metal, having spent a fair amount of time around metals, to be honest, they look like what is often termed as pukka metal, crap, while the ones on the new board look to have a nickel-ish coating or subtle yellow tint to them, it's only a slight difference but worth noting.

The non-working board is definitely a slightly darker green.

The WORKING board came with thin plastic dust covers over the vertical camera and display (i think) ports, not the GPIO ports, the other ports with the locking headers. like the disposable screen covers that come on new screens & phones etc. Just a nice touch i suppose, but not present on the first non-working board i bought.

DougieLawson

Re: Solution - disappointing. Re: Pi3 Wifi not working

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 pm

SeanHowson wrote:sorry for the delayed reply, You may all be interested to know, i used the generous refund i got for the PI, to buy another from PiHut, it arrived, wifi worked straight out of the box, upon comparison there are definitely a few differences to the boards, im not suggesting the first is fake, but if anyone would like to confirm my suspicions feel free, or perhaps build upon them feel free.
No such thing as a fake RPi. The chips used for them are custom made for the RPi and not sold to any other SBC makers. The Odroid folks got 10,000 sample BCM2835s from Broadcom but then wouldn't commit to buying the next million chips. They were the first and last folk to try to make a cloned Raspberry (based on the same chip).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

bkm888

Re: [SOLVED] - Pi3 Wifi not working (genuine hardware fault)

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:43 am

SeanHowsen said:

Thanks pal, looks like a lot of people are favouring the older images, not had any problems with the built in wifi on the model 3? :)
Well, Here is why I expressed my earlier opinions. I had 8 RPi 3 boxes sitting on the bench ready for deployment and loaded with the March 2016 build of Jessie. These had been done a few months ago and set aside for future use. The job I needed to do called for 12 RPi units, so I ordered another dozen kits. When the kits came in I sat our tech at the bench with detailed instructions and had him perform dist-upgrade on the first 8 boxes that had been done previously. (Note: the tech bench uses a LAN cable to SSH into the units for configuration)

I also gave the tech instructions for installing the 2017-01-11 image on all of the new units. The first 4 of the new units were assigned to join the previous 8 units for the current job. The remaining new units would go on the shelf as hot spares or whatever next job comes up.

When we tried to deploy the units for the current job, all 8 of the units that went through the dist-upgrade failed to work with wlan0. Three of the other four units assigned to this job (the brand new ones with 2017-01-11 image) worked with wlan0 but were extremely unstable and would require reboot every few minutes to keep the wifi working. Only one of the new units seemed to work properly.

We took all of the units back to the bench for troubleshooting as well as the 8 new ones we had put on the shelf as hot spares. Of the 12 new units running the 2017-01-11 image, only 3 seemed to work on wifi. the remaining 9 units were unstable as described before. We also confirmed that all 8 of the units that went through the dist-upgrade would not work at all on wifi.

The first thing we did was re-image all of the original 8 units back to the March 2016, preformed the apt-get update, installed a database package that we use along with our custom database scripts, and tested again. All 8 worked again as before the dist-upgrade. Next we re-imaged all of the brand new RPi 3 boxes with the March 2016 image, apt-get update, and our programs and scripts. Voila!! All 12 new units now worked perfectly with wifi.

So, that was the reason for my comments about the possible image issues. However that does NOT explain why the 2017-01-11 image produced such unstable wifi on only 75% of the new units.

Regardless, we deployed the March 2016 image and shelved the extra 8 boxes with the same March 2016 image. At least we know those work. Since that weekend, I have also had the tech go back and re-image a few other boxes on jobs that are not wifi dependent back to the March 2016 image as well. Total of 40 units now re-imaged to March 2016. All future new purchases will probably be done the same way to save time.

Some day when we have time, we may try a new image again, but not sure when that might be possible. We use these in a non profit organization so there is not much incentive to do a lot of troubleshooting past "just getting something to work quickly".

Hope that helps.

BKM888

Kindgreens

Sat May 20, 2017 3:56 am

Man it seems my onboard wifi hardware has bit the dust as well.... i tried different fixes from all over the internet to no avail. when I check "dmesg | grep mmc1" there is no results. my usb dongle wifi works fine still. So bummed.... only had my pi for about 3 weeks and its the only one i have, and the only "pc" I have so im going to have nothing while its sent away for warranty and Im a student currently taking online classes :( . Can someone point me to where I can find info on the warranty repair process? Thanks.

DougieLawson

Sat May 20, 2017 6:11 am

There is no "warranty repair" service. It's only ever going to be a "warranty replacement" and that only counts if the failure is due to a manufacturing fault. If you've destroyed the RPi by GPIO abuse then the cost is your's.

Contact your vendor and ask about their RMA process.

But before doing that create a new SDCard with NOOBS 2.4 or plain Raspbian 2017-04-10. There's an Android app that will write stuff to SDCards if you don't have a computer to do it.
MQTT Evangelist

copperly

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 pm

I am having these problems as well, but it seems like i'm the only one who is actually getting an error with the dsmeg command depicted here, and I also am missing bluetooth
[email protected]:~ $ dmesg | grep mmc1
[ 1.162006] mmc1: error -22 whilst initialising SDIO card
[ 1.162022] mmc1: Got command interrupt 0x00030000 even though no command operation was in progress.
[ 1.162035] mmc1: Got command interrupt 0x00030000 even though no command operation was in progress.
[ 1.172956] mmc1: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).

I am wondering what to do now, since nobody ever got this on this thread.
Btw I am running a rpi 3 that I've had for a while now, I currently am running the latest version of raspbian stretch (installed from a version of the image from 2017-09-07) I have a power supply that outputs 5v 2a (i'm going to be buying a more appropriate one soon) but the wifi problem existed before when it was part of an original pi-top (I would assume that that would be an appropriate voltage). I slightly remember dropping it when I first got it a long time ago, but the internet and Bluetooth kept working for a while after that. I did use a wifi dongle at one point even though the onboard wifi because it had slightly better reception and that was around the time it stopped working. I also slightly remember it stopped working while in the pi-top but i'm not sure. I have changed to fresh versions of raspbian after it stopped working. (sorry for all that, I just didn't want to miss anything)

twilightedge87

Re: Pi3 Wifi not working Possible Solution

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I don't know if anyone has checked but I went into the network interfaces

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
and found that there was no configurations for any interface. I had to literally add the following :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa-supplicant.conf

After that I checked the dhcpcd.conf

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
and made sure I didn't have any static ips. If I did then I just deleted them and reboot. Afterwards I was able to connect to the wifi.

DougieLawson

Re: Pi3 Wifi not working Possible Solution

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:56 pm

twilightedge87 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 pm
I don't know if anyone has checked but I went into the network interfaces

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
and found that there was no configurations for any interface. I had to literally add the following :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa-supplicant.conf

After that I checked the dhcpcd.conf

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
and made sure I didn't have any static ips. If I did then I just deleted them and reboot. Afterwards I was able to connect to the wifi.
Don't do that, it breaks networking.

/etc/network/interfaces should look like

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
# For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
If you have special needs you can create a file in /etc/network/interfaces.d but MOST users won't need that.
MQTT Evangelist

otakuGamer

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 pm

filippos wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 pm
I've migrate from Pi2 to Pi3 and Pi's wifi is not working, but a wifi stick works well

wlan0 is missing, but it is mentioned in /etc/network/interfaces

OK I've found it after all !!!
Get this:

# wget 'http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_0.43+rpi4_all.deb'
Then install it with

# dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_0.43+rpi4_all.deb
didn't do a thing. :?

Return to “Troubleshooting”