Muskokajohn

Bluetooth speaker Paired, but no sound

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:55 pm

My new Pi 3 is awesome, but I cant get any sound over Bluetooth. I have tried different Bluetooth speakers and headphones, but no luck. I have the Pi3 hooked up to a small LED TV via HDMI, and when viewing say a YouTube video, I get sound through the TV Speakers. I click on the Bluetooth icon, add device no problem. Right click the Audio icon and my Bluetooth speaker is there. I click on the speaker and my speaker responds that it is now paired, but still no sound. I installed Pulse Audio along with it's Bluetooth module, but still the same. What am I missing. I read other threads that say this is all you have to do.

Muskokajohn

Re: Bluetooth speaker Paired, but no sound

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:05 pm

I just loaded the Pulse Audio manager

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install paman

More control, but still no sound after pairing to speaker. The "monitor volume" for the speaker selected shows "0".

Any suggestions?

youness

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am

Don't use any Graphical tool to set Bluetooth sound.
Do it by CLI commands with pacmd and bluetoothctl.

soydepr

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:08 pm

how can you elaborate

youness

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Check this post that explains how to do it:
https://youness.net/raspberry-pi/how-to ... berry-pi-3

HawaiianPi

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Turn off normal audio by commenting out the line

Code: Select all

dtparam=audio=on
in config.txt. I had a lot of trouble getting Bluetooth audio working until I did that. Now it just works by default, because it's the only audio interface active. Works with default ALSA, no need to install anything extra.

Not that great for watching video, though. On my Pi3B the audio drifts in and out of sync and sometimes stutters when watching HD video. Fine for music. Speakers are Edifier Exclaim Connect (e10bt).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

klricks

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:56 am

youness wrote:
Never could get BT audio working on the first release of Rasbian Stretch even after update/upgrade.
After starting with a fresh install of the latest Rasbian Stretch 29 Nov., my BT speakers just worked with nothing else installed and no config changes. No problem switching between BT, HDMI or analog sound.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Douglas6

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 am

Nov., my BT speakers just worked with nothing else installed and no config changes. No problem switching between BT, HDMI or analog sound.
That's my experience as well.

HawaiianPi

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 am

klricks wrote:
No problem switching between BT, HDMI or analog sound.
The problem I had was that Raspbian always defaults to HDMI or analog audio. I could not get the Bluetooth audio setting to stick, and always had to manually switch it back to Bluetooth after a reboot. Since I had nothing other than Bluetooth speakers, the solution was to disable the default sound driver.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

klricks

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:35 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 am
The problem I had was that Raspbian always defaults to HDMI or analog audio. I could not get the Bluetooth audio setting to stick, and always had to manually switch it back to Bluetooth after a reboot. Since I had nothing other than Bluetooth speakers, the solution was to disable the default sound driver.
Don't remember if I had that problem before? It works perfectly now. The audio selection is persistent after reboot.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

youness

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 am
Nov., my BT speakers just worked with nothing else installed and no config changes. No problem switching between BT, HDMI or analog sound.
That's my experience as well.
I didn't follow Raspbian updates, but I think that now everything is set to work out-of-box, auto switch to latest device, no disconnection after idle...etc. Good end.

youness

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm

klricks wrote:
youness wrote:
Never could get BT audio working on the first release of Rasbian Stretch even after update/upgrade.
After starting with a fresh install of the latest Rasbian Stretch 29 Nov., my BT speakers just worked with nothing else installed and no config changes. No problem switching between BT, HDMI or analog sound.
Maybe because of bluealsa that didn't let you connect BT audio with PulseAudio, you had to end it first as explained in the link.

daafit

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:06 pm

When I put a hash # in front of hdmi.force.hotplug=1 in the config.txt it finaly worked !!!!

Return to “Troubleshooting”