has8

Have no sound out of bluetooth speakers

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Just got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. Have no sound. Got a Mini Bluetooth speaker which looks like it should work without any wires. No clue how to make it work! If you can tell me how to do this in a way I can understand then you are a GENIUS. Everything I have read on forums is in another language. I am a total beginner.

recklessfb

Re: Have no sound out of bluetooth speakers

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Take a look at the bluetooth/audio section in the link I posted.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/

Douglas6

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:58 pm

First install PulseAudio:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
Reboot. Use the Bluetooth GUI to pair and trust your Bluetooth speaker. Use the audio GUI to select the speaker. That should be it.

has8

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 pm

recklessfb wrote:Take a look at the bluetooth/audio section in the link I posted.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/
Thank you for your reply. I did what the article suggested, and typed the 4 different things into the black box where you type commands in. It put a load of writing there which made it look like stuff was happening - maybe loading files or something. But unfortunately it didn't work. Still no sound. When I go to the bluetooth symbol on the top right and it comes up with a list and I go to "add device" it just finds my laptop - it doesn't find my speaker. In the black box it seemed to find the speaker and had a special long number for it. Then it said connected:yes. Then on the next line it has the long number again and said connected:no. And it kept alternating between yes and no. I never imagined it would be so difficult just to get sound! I spent ages and still nothing. Maybe there is some fault with the computer or with the speaker. But how do I know which? Or maybe there is some other long process I have to go through that I don't know about yet. Why do people like these things if they are so complicated?! I got this for my 8 year old as someone said it is good for children! Looks like it is only good for people who are already really good at programming. I am a single Mum trying to get her son's Christmas present to work. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:07 pm

don't you have sound out of your HDMI device, that is where sound is normally directed to, not to any bluetooth device. Almost nobody wants that, so instructions to do that suitable for a newbie are not available.

The raspberry PI is NOT a consumer device! And you need knowledge to handle the command line correctly, knowledge you do not seem to posses. Without that knowledge chances are big you did it incorrectly. Also the instructions must fit your situation, or it won't work.

You can't get what you want without knowing what you do, not with a PI, sorry. :?

has8

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:27 am

What is "my HTMI device"? Do you mean the monitor? I would have expected the monitor to have its own speakers but it doesn't - which means there must be some other way to get sound - presumably out of some sort of speaker. Are you saying that the bluetooth speaker isn't the best speaker to use? I tried my own laptop speakers but that didn't work either. So are you saying I am right? That you need to be a great programmer just to get any sound out of the Raspberry Pi at all?

has8

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37 am

Douglas6 wrote:First install PulseAudio:

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
Reboot. Use the Bluetooth GUI to pair and trust your Bluetooth speaker. Use the audio GUI to select the speaker. That should be it.
Thank you for your reply. I typed "sudo apt-get install pulse audio pulseaudio-module-bluetooth" in, as you suggested, and it just said: "sudo: opt-get: command not found".

has8

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:43 am

Ah - oops - I typed "opt-get" instead of "apt-get". Ok - have typed it correctly now. Now it says:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
pulseaudio is already the newest version.
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 57 not upgraded.

Which seems to imply that it already has the latest version of pulse audio, whatever that is.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:02 pm

has8 wrote:What is "my HTMI device"? Do you mean the monitor? I would have expected the monitor to have its own speakers but it doesn't - which means there must be some other way to get sound - presumably out of some sort of speaker. Are you saying that the bluetooth speaker isn't the best speaker to use? I tried my own laptop speakers but that didn't work either. So are you saying I am right? That you need to be a great programmer just to get any sound out of the Raspberry Pi at all?
I said HDMI, not HTMI, (the name for the cable standard for the cable between your video-device and monitor) you seem to have reading problems, which may also explain why you are having problems with the command line (as your opt-get blunder also implies) you need to securely read .
If for some reason your HDMI monitor doesn't have speakers ( as it really should IMHO, and normally also has) then the next best option would be the A/V (Audio Video) output, but you also need some command line commands to turn audio from HDMI to the A/V port.

I'm sure that eventually you can get your Bluetooth speakers to work, but its not an as obvious option as you might think, Bluetooth on a PI is primarily intended for keyboards and mice. You don't have to be a programmer, just a somewhat experienced computer user.

good luck with it. ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:02 pm

I just learned that with the PIXEL GUI Bluetooth sound should be easy!

From the current blog:
Simon Long wrote:You need to be running the latest Raspbian with PIXEL desktop, which you can download from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ – if your Pi is powered on, and you have a lovely picture of a road snaking off into the distance as a background, then you’re good to go.

Turn your Bluetooth speaker on and put it into “pairing” mode – consult the instructions for your speaker on how to do this. When you’ve done that, click on the Bluetooth icon on the taskbar at the top of the Pi desktop (the blue letter B towards the right-hand end) and choose “Add Device…” from the menu that appears. This opens a dialog box which lists all nearby Bluetooth devices – find your speaker in the list, which will have a speaker next to a green and black rectangle as the icon on the left hand side. Click on this entry in the list, and press “Pair”. If all goes well, you should get a message saying “Paired successfully – use the audio menu to select as output device.”

Now right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar, which is just to the right of the Bluetooth icon. Find the name of the Bluetooth device you just paired in the menu – it will probably be at the bottom of the list – and then click it. Et voila – you should now have audio output to your speaker.

tgraf2

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi,

I have a raspberry pi 3 and a bluetooth speaker that I am trying to play audio to. I have vlc running and the audio output is going to a wired speaker connected to the headphone jack. The bluetooth speaker is paired and connected. I would now like to switch the audio from the headphone jack to bluetooth, and so far I have not found a way to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

MrWheeliebin

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:50 pm

OK I tried ALL the above and now I appear to have NO sound not even through the jack.
I installed then uninstalled some libraries and now I'm wondering if I uninstalled something from PIXEL that was previously there. Anyway know what libraries SHOULD be there by default?
Oddly I can connect to the BT headphones and they beep to say they are connected but after that not a peep. I'm using Chrome+YouToob as a source. Also tried mplayer with an mp3.

I would really love to get this working.

foxtangocharlie

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I have done all the suggested as well. I used to have audio coming from my samsung TV through HDMI... but after installing audiopulse the only thing I have is analog. I am able to pair my bluetooth speaker and headphones too. But... sadly... no sound.

I have rp3 b+

Please any current solutions would be great.

SkyClan480

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm

This may or may not be too complicated for you, but I will try my best to make it understandable. First you need to open the terminal (the little black box where you type commands). Then type these commands in sequence:

bluetoothctl

power on

agent on

pairable on

scan on
Now you need to make sure your speaker is turned on and not connected to any other devices (phone, computer, etc.). Wait a little bit for the Pi to scan for devices and eventually you'll see one that has a long number followed by the name of your device. Highlight and copy the long number. Then do these commands:

pair <paste number here>
The Pi will attempt to pair and should pair successfully. It will say connected:yes, but eventually say connected:no. That doesn't matter just keep doing commands.

connect <paste number here>
Now it will connect for real. Now type these last two:

trust <paste number here>

disconnect <paste number here>
After it disconnects, you can close the terminal. Go to the speaker icon in the bottom right where you usually change the volume and right-click it. You'll see some options: Analog, HDMI, and then your speaker. Select your speaker and it should connect. Now your ready to play sound from the Pi.

Return to “Troubleshooting”