Mansome

Pi has underclocked itself some how

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:15 am

Hi all,

I noticed that my Pi 2 and Pi 3 are now both running at 600mhz instead of the 900 and 1.2 respectively. I only noticed this because kodi addons are taking some what longer load. To test this I installed another OS with kodi to see what is going on. In raspbian lite with kodi is where the problem is but OSMC and OpenElec show the right clock speed. I have never bothered the settings for overclocking on the Pi's until now when trying to fix the problem. If I do a raspi-config in Raspbian and go to the overclock section it says this Pi can't be overclocked when I know people do this all the time. Any idea what is going on?

tweak42

Re: Pi has underclocked itself some how

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:51 am

Are you sure you are reading the correct clock speed?

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
shows your current clock speed, but note, the cpu speed scales based on load, so you may need to run a load program to get the clock up to max speed.

Utility raspi-config changes the clocking options set in the config.txt file in the /boot directory, aka the boot partition on the sd card.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

If there is a hash in front of the parameter, it's ignored and the default cpu speed should be applied.
For example:

#arm_freq=800

is ignored, but would set the max frequency to 800 if the leading hash is deleted.

Mansome

Re: Pi has underclocked itself some how

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:40 pm

I typed in what you stated and got 600000. So something is definitely up. The config.txt file is commented out on anything that is related to changing the pi's speed.

Return to “Troubleshooting”