paralight

Raspberry Pi 3 very slow

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:21 pm

hi :)

i apologies if the question is so commonplace, but i can't believe my eyes , it's just i tought it was possible with the rpi3 to browse over internet, but I can not even open gmail with chromium ! when i do it, it lags , the webpaeg opens but often chromium says "the page does not respond", or it works, its very very slow and often rpi3 freezes. so i must reboot it, again and again.
here he check list i already ckeck :
- sd card is okay, its a 10 class sd card (sandisk) (tested : 40Mo/s read, 10Mo/s write)
_ i used raspbian this one : 2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.img
- i made a raspi-upade, nothing change
- of course i made a apt-get update& upgrade, its totallly up to date
- i tried to overclock, (even with force_turbo mode) but nothing really changed..
- so i tried midori , its a little bit faster but its a really poor and gmail refuse to open with it
- of course when i want to browse internet, there are absoltly no other application in background

thanks very much for any help

mfa298

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 very slow

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:54 pm

What PSU are you using with the Pi?

What does the red power led on the board do? (is it on, off, blinking)

Do you see any icons appear on the top right of the screen ?

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:00 am

Have you overcommitted your RAM and pushed the system into SDCard swapping hell? You should aim to never use more than 67% of available RAM when the system is running a steady state workload.

Try terminating services you don't need. Try tuning the GPU RAM down to just what's needed to run the GUI. Try upgrading the system with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade to ensure you have the latest firmware and kernel.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

paralight

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:56 am

mfa298 wrote:What PSU are you using with the Pi?

What does the red power led on the board do? (is it on, off, blinking)

Do you see any icons appear on the top right of the screen ?
- good question, it 's an 3A ANKRU power supply (bought here https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01DDF ... UTF8&psc=1 )
- the red led is on on the board
- no icon on the top right of the screen , did you mean rainbow square ? its not a boot problem, rasbian is lauchned and it work well, its just browse webpage is very painful and slow..
thx for help

paralight

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:02 am

DougieLawson wrote:Have you overcommitted your RAM and pushed the system into SDCard swapping hell? You should aim to never use more than 67% of available RAM when the system is running a steady state workload.

Try terminating services you don't need. Try tuning the GPU RAM down to just what's needed to run the GUI. Try upgrading the system with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade to ensure you have the latest firmware and kernel.
ok i'll check that, it is interesting. nevertheless, i dont understand we must tuned rpi3 like that to get a good UX for internet browsing
thanks you !

startrek.steve

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:14 am

I find Iceweasel a bit faster than Chromium on the Pi3.

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

paralight

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:38 am

startrek.steve wrote:I find Iceweasel a bit faster than Chromium on the Pi3.

Steve
thx Steve, i'll tried tonight

JoeSoap

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:21 pm

when you get performance problems it is normally worthwhile to use top
(and/or vmstat) to see what your system is doing .

top is very good , it will show you what each process is using in terms
of cpu, ram and how much time is spent idle, or waiting, or doing work .
The entries are normally a page long and are ordered in terms of cpu usage .

I would be surprised if the limit to browsing were the cpu usage of your pi3,
more likely to be a slow link , malware in the page , or similar ... but
top would likely indicate that.

Dougie suggests swapping as the possible problem , and that would certainly
match the symptoms (and top would show that).

JoeSoap

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:59 pm

paralight

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 pm

ok thanks all for ideas and suggestions, yes i know "top", and indeed, i didnt see that i have often a process kswapd0 wich take 15% of cpu.. I look at this ..

mfa298

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:55 pm

JoeSoap wrote:when you get performance problems it is normally worthwhile to use top
(and/or vmstat) to see what your system is doing .
I'd second using vmstat (and learning to interpret the results).

In particular the breakdown of where CPU time is spent and the amount of swapping that's happening is useful. An example output from a Pi1 running apt-get upgrade.

Code: Select all

pi@draco:~ $ vmstat 1
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
 0  1      0  71704  27632 295352    0    0     4    11  306  103  1  1 97  1  0
 1  1      0  72172  27648 295552    0    0    16  1272 1965 3556  5 17  0 77  0
 1  1      0  72172  27648 295552    0    0     0     0 1959 3359  3 14  0 83  0
 1  1      0  72172  27648 295552    0    0     0     0 1921 3318  0  7  0 93  0
 1  1      0  72172  27648 295552    0    0     0     0 1915 3302  3  5  0 91  0
 1  1      0  72172  27648 295552    0    0     0     0 1930 3323  0 10  0 90  0
 1  2      0  72040  27652 295552    0    0     0   232 1926 3323  1  6  0 93  0
 1  2      0  72164  27652 295552    0    0     0     0 1911 3309  0  3  0 97  0
 1  2      0  72164  27652 295552    0    0     0     0 1919 3302  1 10  0 89  0
 1  2      0  72164  27652 295552    0    0     0     0 1937 3342  0 12  0 88  0
From the CPU columns it's clear that the CPU is spending most time in the IO Wait state (the wa column), this would indicate that most of the time tasks are waiting for the SD card. This is also backed up by the blocked processes (the b column).

HawaiianPi

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:44 am

paralight wrote:...it is interesting. nevertheless, i dont understand we must tuned rpi3 like that to get a good UX for internet browsing
I don't know how fast you expected the Raspberry Pi3 to be, but do keep in mind it's based on mobile processor technology and only has 1GB of RAM. While it is extremely fast compared to the original Raspberry Pi (up to 10 times faster) it is not fast by mainstream computer standards. My 5+ year old Acer Netbook with an Atom N450 processor was faster at almost everything except 1080p video decoding, which the Pi's Broadcom GPU is very good at (which is why I added a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder to my Netbook).

When browsing, don't open too many tabs. I have 16 tabs open in Chrome on my i7 Ultrabook with 8GB of RAM and it's fine, but half that many would bring my Pi3 to its knees. I try to limit it to 2 or 3 tabs when browsing on my Pi3. Install an ad-blocker on browsers used with the Pi to reduce resources used by that web content (I usually add a pop-up blocker as well, unless the browser has that ability built-in). I find Firefox-ESR or Iceweasel a bit better than Chromium on the Pi while still being feature rich browsers (Iceweasel is Debian's trademark free version of Firefox). There lots of other browsers available in Linux that you might want to test to find your perfect balance of features and performance.
paralight wrote:... - i made a raspi-upade, nothing change
If you mean rpi-update, you should not use that unless someone from the Raspbian or Raspberry Pi support team told you to. The rpi-update command loads beta firmware still in testing that could contain bugs. The proper way to fully update Raspbian is:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
Followed by a reboot. Unless you actually want to be a beta tester, in which case, go for it (and thank you)!

A faster SD card could help. I use Samsung EVO+ cards that are rated at 80MB/s read and 20MB/s write, but actually test at 90MB/s read and 30MB/s write on my USB 3.0 Ultrabook. They won't be that fast on the Pi3, but what sets them apart is their superior random I/O performance, and that really helps when used as a computer OS drive (most flash memory cards and USB drives have very poor random I/O performance). An SSD booting from USB, or root filesystem on an SSD should be even faster, and might not even cost much more than a premium MicroSD card, as long as you don't need a lot of storage (small SSD drives are pretty cheap now).

Depending on how hard you push your Pi3, adding a heatsink or fan might help by reducing or preventing throttling. Although it's unlikely web browsing would heat the system up enough to throttle the CPU. If you want to experiment with overclocking, then a heatsink and fan will definitely help.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jahboater

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Try

vcgencmd get_throttled
if its anything other than zero, you have a problem!

vader

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Slightly old thread, but I might have some information. I upgraded my old wheezy rpi2 (which was actually working quite well) to jessie. I did a complete sd card dd, so there were no problems with incompatibilities. I copied over my hardware decode keys and general settings (HDMI, overscan etc) and the system ran like a dog. I would experience lags of a few seconds every now and then (several per minute) and things were just generally slow.

I am using a U4 class sd card (95MB/s read) and a beefy power supply with a short cable. No power icon. I also tried removing swap, but it had no effect. I eventually installed devuan jessie (non systemd version of debian). It doesn't come with anything pre installed, so you have to create the system yourself. I installed LXDE (with associated X stuff), wifi drivers/firmware, plus all the things I normally install. The system runs beautifully. No lags, no crashes. The only issue I had was with the touchpad where I had to disable buttons 6-13 so I didn't get strange gesture based keys inserted at the worst possible time (think backspace in the browser).

This is what wheezy felt like on my pi2. Now, it is not for the feint hearted, it is not a plug and play system, but devuan definitely romps all over raspbian in performance. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but could systemd be doing some SD card loveliness behind the scenes that locks the system every now and then? The only real difference between debian and devuan is systemd.

I tried many other distros with similar results. I even tried chromium, but just couldn't use it properly (that and my wifi usb dongle wasn't supported).

Thoughts?

Isaac2k1

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:49 pm

I have the problem with RPi getting stalled from time to time for several seconds too. I noticed it first when I run hungry browsers like Chromium or Firefox FSR on Raspbian Jessie on a Pi-Top laptop and later also on a standalone system, mounted to the back of a 19" screen.

With the command vcgencmd measure_temp I looked at the CPU temperature and found it for the vertically mounted RPi behind my 19" monitor to be between 65...83 deg C, which IHMO is way to high. Then I mounted a passive cooler and get now with air convection cooling about 55 deg C and with active cooling with a USB fan about 35 deg C.

The system is subjectivly faster but with multiple tabs open in the mentioned browsers it stalls, despite no higher temperature than 60 deg C.

The Pi-top comes with a bridge connector to connect the RPi bus to the Pi-top hub PCB, which acts also like a cooler. There the temperature is about 55 deg C with closed kbd and 48 deg C when opened. Also here the same stalls when running Chromium or Firefox ESR.

Thus cooling of the CPU definitly is not bad but overheating is not the reason for slow browsing experience.

gkreidl

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Isaac2k1 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:49 pm
I have the problem with RPi getting stalled from time to time for several seconds too. I noticed it first when I run hungry browsers like Chromium or Firefox FSR on Raspbian Jessie on a Pi-Top laptop and later also on a standalone system, mounted to the back of a 19" screen.

With the command vcgencmd measure_temp I looked at the CPU temperature and found it for the vertically mounted RPi behind my 19" monitor to be between 65...83 deg C, which IHMO is way to high. Then I mounted a passive cooler and get now with air convection cooling about 55 deg C and with active cooling with a USB fan about 35 deg C.

The system is subjectivly faster but with multiple tabs open in the mentioned browsers it stalls, despite no higher temperature than 60 deg C.

The Pi-top comes with a bridge connector to connect the RPi bus to the Pi-top hub PCB, which acts also like a cooler. There the temperature is about 55 deg C with closed kbd and 48 deg C when opened. Also here the same stalls when running Chromium or Firefox ESR.

Thus cooling of the CPU definitly is not bad but overheating is not the reason for slow browsing experience.
It's memory usage - the system starts to swap.

BTW, the RPi SOC is specified for up to 85 deg. The system starts throttling down when temperature reaches 80 deg.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

HawaiianPi

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 pm

gkreidl wrote:
It's memory usage - the system starts to swap.
This ^

There's no getting around the fact that the Pi3B only has 1GB of RAM, and browsers/web pages are notoriously memory hungry.
gkreidl wrote:
BTW, the RPi SOC is specified for up to 85 deg. The system starts throttling down when temperature reaches 80 deg.
Just to be clear, that's 85C, which is 185F! Image

Basically, the SoC will run at full speed under heavy load up to 80C/176F and then it will start to throttle down performance to try and keep the temps under control. If it continues to heat up until it reaches 85C/185F it will slow to its lowest speed (600MHz), and I believe it will also disable some cores. That's done to protect the SoC from thermal damage, so while a temperature of 83C seems high, it's perfectly safe for the SoC. Remember, this is a system based on mobile technology where optimal cooling is often not an option. Mobile parts are designed to be tolerant of higher temperatures than desktop parts.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

J Scott Elblein

Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:00 am
Try tuning the GPU RAM down to just what's needed to run the GUI.
I'm not much of a Linux poohah and I want to try this out but I'm not sure where to find how much RAM the GUI is using, or where to tune just the GPU RAM down? I'd appreciate some tips.

P.S. Sorry for the necro-post, but this is what came up in a Google search. :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”