Stephen_J

RPi won't boot after first shutdown

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:57 am

Hello, I'm new to RPi and to the Forum. I just got my first RPi3. I am a linux admin at work so cli is nothing new to me. I put the Raspbian Image on an mSD card with Etch. The Pi booted fine. I played around with it and did a shutdown -h now. When I removed power and plugged it back in, no signal was ever sent to the monitor and the green LED flashes long sequences. I counted some with results being 23, 13 , 45 and 48 flashes with 1 second breaks and no established a pattern. Google searches netted me mentions of flash codes of less than 10. I read the boot problems sticky and nothing sounds like my issue. I have a vga monitor connected via an hdmi to vga adapter. Unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't help.
I burned Raspbian Lite to a second microSD card and got the same results. There seems to be no issues with the first boot of the image but any attempt to boot again doesn't seem to start. Reboot commands are successful. Reflashing the image to the SD card gets it going again.

Thank you in advance.

Stephen

pws

Re: RPi won't boot after first shutdown

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Sounds like you are not waiting long enough after you issue the "shutdown" command to remove power/sd card. Wait until activity light completely stops blinking.

fred44nl

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:19 pm

are you by any chance using a usb-hdd without it's own power-supply ??
that's what I tried and that did nog go very well.
headless RPi 3B running from usbhdd.

Stephen_J

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I am using brand new samsung SD cards not hdd. I have ensured that I waited for the 10 "shutdown" flashes per the instructions on the troubleshooting thread and made sure the ACT light was off for a period. Here is what else I have found. It appears to be some kind of disk corruption. When I take the SD card and put it back in the Windows machine that imaged it, Windows says it is corrupt. If I reimage it, the Pi boots fine on the refreshed image.

Stephen

HawaiianPi

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 pm

I wouldn't worry about Windows saying something is corrupt. It says that whenever you connect a drive that wasn't formatted in Windows. I get that all the time with flash drives I format in Linux, and when I let Windows "scan and repair" the drive it always says no errors were found. That's just Windows being stupid.

As for your issue, that is odd. The first thing I would suspect is your HDMI>VGA adapter, because I have found those to be troublesome in the past.

Are you sure the Pi is not booting? Have you tried to SSH into it when you're getting no video?

Try adding hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to your config.txt file, and maybe config_hdmi_boost=7 as well.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Stephen_J

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:59 am

HawaiianPi wrote:I wouldn't worry about Windows saying something is corrupt. It says that whenever you connect a drive that wasn't formatted in Windows. I get that all the time with flash drives I format in Linux, and when I let Windows "scan and repair" the drive it always says no errors were found. That's just Windows being stupid.

As for your issue, that is odd. The first thing I would suspect is your HDMI>VGA adapter, because I have found those to be troublesome in the past.

Are you sure the Pi is not booting? Have you tried to SSH into it when you're getting no video?

Try adding hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to your config.txt file, and maybe config_hdmi_boost=7 as well.
So, I did all three of these things and now it works. I haven't gone back and undone them one at a time to see which one it was. If I have a minute, I'll figure out which one and then post back here for the next guy.

Thanks HawaiianPi

Stephen

LakyStrajk

Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi. I had the same problem as Stephen_J. It was because I am using old monitor (VGA to HDMI converter). Adding hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and config_hdmi_boost=7 to my config.txt solved the issue. Thank you guys! ;)

DougieLawson

Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm

The first thing to try to get over the "won't boot after shutdown" bug is sudo rpi-update; sudo poweroff pull power and reboot. That gets the 4.14.42-v7+ kernel with new bootcode that solves that boot problem. It's been out for a couple of days and is running on 13 out of 15 of my raspberries.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

LakyStrajk

Sun May 27, 2018 3:05 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm
The first thing to try to get over the "won't boot after shutdown" bug is sudo rpi-update; sudo poweroff pull power and reboot. That gets the 4.14.42-v7+ kernel with new bootcode that solves that boot problem. It's been out for a couple of days and is running on 13 out of 15 of my raspberries.
thank you, firmware updated ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting”