phildobbin

booted but no display & no ssh access

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:44 am

I'm attempting to use the official Debian spin (raspian?) & I'm pretty sure it's booted but nothing comes up on the display (HP L1706 connected with Neewer Black HDMI Input To VGA) & powered by a Nokia N97.

The flash card is a Transcend SDHC 4GB which was recommended by RS Components when I bought the Pi & I installed the distro myself from the downloads on the Raspberry Pi web site. Don't think there's any thing wrong with the OS. All files are present & correct & I can see the Pi on the network. When I try to ssh in I get: `no route to host; host is down` so I'm stuck. No login prompt & can't ssh in.

Any help appreciated...

Licaon_Kter

Re: booted but no display & no ssh access

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

BFQ+BFS or RT on a RPi? 4'real: https://github.com/licaon-kter/ (source and compiled!)

bredman

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am

The HDMI to VGA convertor may be causing problems.

Can you try a composite TV or a HDMI TV just to check that the board is working OK?

phildobbin

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Unfortunately, I can't ssh into the box to edit *any* files to facilitate any edits in order to see if I can get the display working & I've no leads to connect to a TV (the Pi is cheap for the base unit but with all the extras that I've had to buy, I'm looking at having spent nearly £60 already so I'm not inclined to keep throwing money at this thing. There is a limit...).

My only option is, I suppose, is to re-install another OS (Arch, maybe) & see if I can get it running headless & then go from there. DHCP has assigned it an IP number which I would've thought means that the system had booted. If that's the case & it has booted, it means sshd isn't running (on wheezy-raspian anyway) so that's pretty lame. Also ping is telling me it's down, so re-install it is.

Thanks for your help...

mikerr

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd edit config.txt to show

Code: Select all

hdmi_safe=1
i.e. remove the # from that line (you can edit this file direct from the PC with the SD card in the card reader).

Plenty of my HDMI monitors I tried needed that - I'm surprised its not the default.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jojopi

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 pm

mikerr wrote:

hdmi_safe=1
Plenty of my HDMI monitors I tried needed that - I'm surprised its not the default.
hdmi_safe disables composite video, so it could never be the default. It also selects a probably non-optimal display resolution. It is very useful for testing, but if your monitor needs it you should then replace it by the individual options, and experiment with removing them one at a time to see which are really fixing your problem:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=1
disable_overscan=0

phildobbin

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 pm

whoops, hadn't thought of editing config.txt via the card reader. Don't use them that often.

Thanks. I'll `cp config.txt config_txt.bak` & start hacking it around. I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks for your help...

bbncomms

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Perhaps a silly question - but have you tried to boot without any local connections to display, keyboard etc. - so just the network.

I originally had a problem with the keyboard and losts of things appeared to fail because of it.

The Debian Wheezy distro certainly comes with the shh enabled. Can you see anything on the network with, say, Advanced Port Scanner?

phildobbin

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:20 pm

yeah, I've booted with just power & the LAN attached. As for ssh, I can see the Pi connected via my router's web interface showing that's it's been assigned an IP address by DHCP but ssh gives no route to host as does ping which also says host is down.

I haven't had time to try editing the config.txt file as yet but will give it a try & see if I can get the display running. Both the HDMI =>VGA cable & power cable are known to work with the Pi so I'll try that route to see if I can get a prompt.

Cheers, Phil...

bbncomms

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Something like Advanced Port Scanner will scan everything and tell you which (if any of the possible 67) ports of a particular IP address is active - a bit more than a 'ping' will tell you; something I have found very useful.

I use a Windows version of this but believe there are others.

phildobbin

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

I'll run nmap on the IP address that DHCP has allocated the Pi & see what it turns up.

Cheers, Phil...

phildobbin

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 pm

I finally got it to boot (I had to leave it alone for nearly a month due to work) by altering the config.txt in the relevant places (force VGA, HDMI, etc) & set the local, time, keyboard, ssh server enabled, boot to desktop, etc & it ran for about eight minutes at 800 x 400 screen resolution but every time the cursor strayed near the edge of the screen the display blacked out & it finally crashed.

I re-booted but within thirty seconds it crashed again.

Any hints on how to stabilise the display (& also where to adjust screen settings) appreciated...

Return to “Troubleshooting”