FINAL LOG AFTER A FEW DAYS OF HARD WORK
My RPI runs under the last Raspbian wheezy, I downloaded and installed DOSBox, I can issue a few commands online, I can see the LXDE GUI and run a few games. Now for the issues:
1) I tried all possible ways to reboot the RPi: none works. Have to sudo halt, wait for everything to shut down, power off, wait a minute, power on again.
2) Tried in many ways to get the correct monitor resolution, but if I specify group and mode in the config.txt lines, no matter how, checked and rechecked, RPi does not boot: so I am stuck with the default 1980x1080, giving me a very stretched almost-illegible text and awful stretched windows in LXDE.
3) Tried in many ways to download not just apps like dosbox, but my folders and files with DOSBOx apps and personal files. First I followed online directions to install krusader, but the RPi cannot find it.
4) So I followed directions in the Debian Help and installed Midnight commander, all successful, nice file manager, but cannot make the FTP part work, it simply does not find my files online, and I cannot find any helpful hint online on this either.
5) So I tried the other way, should be simpler: following directions I setup in my PC in my FTP client an FTP connection, entering the IP address I got from my RPi: error.
6) I used Midori to surf the web: can access only some pages (basically those where the webpage is index.htm), not others: red error again. Hyperlinks do not work. Thus I cannot reach any webpages with files to download.
At this point, frankly, almost nothing works, and most of the solutions suggested online do not work either. I may not be proficient in Raspbian, but I have decades of computer experience with many OSs and languages: I can clearly see that there is no hardware fault anywhere in my installation, just lack of necessary info, and bugs galore with no ways to circumvent them.
I guess I will "play" a little bit more and then give up.
Best luck to those who keep trying.