TheFran42

Connect external HD and copy files

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:42 am

Hi Everyone,

Really excited to get my Raspberry Pi 3 and use it as my media player connected to my TV. Setup went smooth with NOOBS but I am running into a few challenges. Please can you guys help?

1. PI wont detect my 2TB 3.5 External. I am aware of the previous guys that also posted this issue but I would like to check if the only problem is to get a powered USB hub. Not too many shops have them around here so I'm looking for alternate solutions. The drive spins up and I can hear it hummmm... but its not showing up in OS.

2. I used to copy movies from my PC upstairs to my media centre PC downstairs directly onto the connected 2TB external drive. With PI now my media centre and granted I can sort out issue 1 above.. how do I copy files from my PC directly to the External Drive connected to PI?

Thanks!
Fran

fruitoftheloom

Re: New User with Few Problems - Please Help

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:36 pm

TheFran42 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Really excited to get my Raspberry Pi 3 and use it as my media player connected to my TV. Setup went smooth with NOOBS but I am running into a few challenges. Please can you guys help?

1. PI wont detect my 2TB 3.5 External. I am aware of the previous guys that also posted this issue but I would like to check if the only problem is to get a powered USB hub. Not too many shops have them around here so I'm looking for alternate solutions. The drive spins up and I can hear it hummmm... but its not showing up in OS.

2. I used to copy movies from my PC upstairs to my media centre PC downstairs directly onto the connected 2TB external drive. With PI now my media centre and granted I can sort out issue 1 above.. how do I copy files from my PC directly to the External Drive connected to PI?

Thanks!
Fran
1) only a USB 2.5" Drive is able to be powered from USB Port.

2) SAMBA software can create a Network between various Operating Systems. Though knowing what Operating System you are running on the RPi would help to be able to give specific advice.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

paulwratt

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:57 am

agreed, plus you may need filesystem driver (ntfs-3g might be installed by default, cant remember)

Paul

TheFran42

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks Paul!

I am running both Kodi and Raspbian.

Complete newbie here so I have no idea how to do this. I just downloaded WinSCP as I saw some other posts recommended this. Ideally I want to copy a movie from my PC to my Pi3 (eiher to the SD card or the attached USB?)

Thanks

paulwratt

Re: Connect external HD and copy files

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:57 am

no problem @TheFran42, I suggest you install the following "cheat" scripts that can also "teach yo something" every time you use them.
~/bin/si (Search Installed):

Code: Select all

echo "dpkg -l|grep [email protected]"
dpkg -l|grep [email protected]
which says in plain english: "debian-package -list-every-package-installed then-pipe-that-into gnu-regular-expression-pattern-match any-line-that contains-everything-i-typed-after-si"

~/bin/sa (Search Available):

echo "apt-cache search [email protected]"
apt-cache search [email protected]
which says in plain english:"using-Advanced-Package-Tool-cache search-for everything-i-types-after-sa"

~/bin == /home/pi/bin

make sure "chmod a+x _script_name_" in ~/bin to make them executable.

This will just make your like a bit easier, and remind you of the "longhand way in Debian" of how to use Linux commands.

In this case, if ur drive was formated on Windows it will probably be NTFS5, unless you explicitly used FAT32, so:

si ntfs
will tell you if ANY ntfs packages are installed, mine shows "3g-ntfs", but i am sure I added a lot of different filesystem drivers.

with your drive plugged in:

ps -e|grep ntfs
should show it any installed ntfs service is running

same goes for samba (windows shares on linux)

You should not have to do anything as root, except maybe set write permissions (or ownership) of the folder name used to mount your drive. This is done by default on most installations. Use "samba-client" to set shares, its alot easier than finding right conf and settings.

Paul

Paul

TheFran42

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks for the help Paul, I'll try it out and let you know how it went...

I did in the meantime manage to install Kodi and setting up an SMB share was pretty easy... streaming may be the way to go seeing as I cant connect my 2TB external drive (Which became a 2TB internal drive to my gaming PC).

paulwratt

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 am

If you are willing to stream, there is a way to stream (and play) Steam on the Pi

on HD front, I just been checking out PiDrive by WDLabs, they have 1TB option but require 3A USB supply, where as their older 375+250 Gb option use 2A. Note they have one cable "to supply them all", it might be worth checking out, and 60$US for 2.5" 1Tb is not too bad..

Paul

Return to “Troubleshooting”