mrakuaku

microSD card won't format after img backup

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 am

After (successfully) backing up an image of my microSD card (authentic Samsung Evo 16GB) used in a raspberry pi 2, I tried using it again, and it wouldn't get past this screen Image https://imgur.com/a/MRn2S

I'm able to type in text, but I'm not really sure if I can enter any commands.

I've tried formatting the card with multiple sd adapters, making sure the write protection switch was turned off. However, when I use SD Card Formatter, it says the SD card has write protection enabled. I've tried formatting the card in two different digital cameras, and easeUS on windows, and nothing seems to do the trick.

In line 2.17 of the image... it says "host does not support reading read-only switch, assuming write-enabled"
Is my SD card broken? I don't think I've even had the card for a year.

Tinderbox (UK)

Re: microSD card won't format after img backup

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:57 am

Try this free app Check Flash in windows, set as logical or physical driver, and set it to read/write test.

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?pag ... chkflsh_en

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

mrakuaku

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, it doesn't seem to be working though.

I set it up as logical drive, write and read test, full pattern, one full pass and got this result (after about 5 minutes):
Pass #1 completed, 3708 errors found.

Test completed, total 3708 errors found.
... all errors look like they're written in binary.

I ran it as logical drive, write and read test, write pattern and got this result (after about 5 seconds):
Pass #1 completed, 0 errors found.

Test completed, total 0 errors found.
...I tried using SD Formatter after, but it still says it's write protected.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Try formatting in other devices like mobile phone, xbox, playstation, an digital camera, canon camera`s have a low level format option.

According to an Sandisk microsd card manual, they have an temp and permanent write protection, also when the cards are worn out they become write protected so you do not loose your data.

microsd card that cannot be formatted are being reported a lot on this forum :?:

EDIT: I FOUND THIS GUIDE.

http://techlogitic.com/easy-steps-to-re ... m-sd-card/

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

mrakuaku

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Yes, I noticed a lot of reports of this problem, but no fixes that worked for me.... I hope Raspberry Pi foundation is looking into it.... This is actually the 2nd time it's happened to me. The first time it was with a new official Raspberry pi microsd card, so I was able to return it... I think this card is just outside of its warranty.

I tried all the methods and still can't get it to format (minus some of the other device methods). I think I'll get a new card, upload Raspbian to it, and try plugging the one that's messed up into an sd to usb then try formatting it within raspian... and see if that works.

It might be awhile before I'm able to get the new sd and an sd to usb converter, but I'll try and remember to report back if I have any luck (or don't).

Return to “Troubleshooting”