crazyquark

Raspberry Pi 3 - immediately overheating

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:12 am

Hello,

So here's a first: I might have killed my RPi 3.
I was working last night on a GrovePi robot and I left my RPi 3 plugged into the wall socket overnight.
In the morning I discovered it had shut down. So I rebooted...

I have a USB power meter attached to the USB cable power source and it was showing high current draw, over1.5 Amps and it was very very hot. I re-image the SD card thinking the OS might have crashed somehow.

It now booted but it was instantly very hot and after a few minutes it shutdown to protect itself. I used a IR thermometer and found that it was actually the power circuit that was overheating and not the CPU itself, it was over 100 Celsius.

Even booting without anything plugged(no sd card) in it still heats up like crazy.
Now, I read about polyfuses and that once blown the resistance goes up like crazy and maybe this is what is happening, it would explain the high current draw, I guess. But the voltage drop over PP3 and PP7 is 4.93 V so pretty normal?

Also, where is the fuse located on the RPi 3? I see a fuse marked F1 on the back, near the microUSB port.

Help :(

L.E.
Checked the voltage again and it's 4.38 now so it sounds like a blown fuse?
Last edited by crazyquark on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 - immediately overheating

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:51 am

Anything that get instantly hot like that goes in the recycling bin, you've let the magic smoke escape. It's dead, it's not recoverable or repairable.

It'll cost you £35 to fix it but find out what went wrong or you'll lose another £35 computer by letting the magic smoke out.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Tinderbox (UK)

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:22 am

A bit of help on test points.

http://ozzmaker.com/testing-points-raspberry-pi/

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

davidcoton

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 am

crazyquark wrote:I read about polyfuses and that once blown the resistance goes up like crazy and maybe this is what is happening, it would explain the high current draw, I guess.
No. If the polyfuse blows, it goes to high resistance, which stops the excessive current flow and therefore the overheating.
Some component will have failed short circuit, which causes the excessive current and the overheating. If you can identify which, it might be possible to work out what it is, find a replacement, remove the faulty part and replace it. It just depends on your skill level at fault finding and soldering, and on how you value your time. You might learn some, and the satisfaction of completing a repair is worth something. But an hour or three of your time might be worth more than the cost of a replacement Pi.
Signature retired

dgordon42

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Return to “Troubleshooting”