MrRose

A problem with wireless keyboars

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:09 pm

I've bought a cheap wireless keyboard from Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152212810865

It works correctly with Windows PC but I can't manage how to use it with Pi3. I think that I'm not the only person which had headaches with this device.

Douglas6

Re: A problem with wireless keyboars

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Have you clicked on the Bluetooth icon and paired and connected with the keyboard?(Nevermind, it's not Bluetooth.) What exactly are the problems you're experiencing?

MrRose

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Douglas6 wrote: What exactly are the problems you're experiencing?
it is not working under Raspbian and I don't know how to connect it. In Windows you don't have to do anything and it starts to work automatically.

B.Goode

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Presumably there is a USB dongle that goes with the keyboard?

Does Raspbian detect that dongle?

lsusb or dmesg might give you this information.

MrRose

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:51 am

lsusb says:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 4555:1031

It is visible to system

MrRose

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:24 am

I've found this information about keyboard
Features:
2.4G wireless connection range: Radius 10 m
High sensitivity touch template, template DPI adjustable function touch
Mini QWERTY 92-key keyboard multimedia control keys and PC gaming control keys
Automatic sleep / wake patterns
Google TV hot key
Support for multiple languages
Ergonomic handheld design is easy to carry and operate
Removable battery, super long standby
Application:
PC remote control of home entertainment, multimedia education, training, meetings, presentations and
Control computer; Car TV, HTPC, big screen TV, smart TV, hard disk player, network player, X-BOX
System Requirements :
Windows,Linux,Android/Google/Smart TV,Mac OS

Specification :
Connection: RF 2.4G wireless connection
Power supply: 2 x 1.5V 3A battery(Not included)
Operating voltage: 3.3V
Wireless Transmit Power: 2dBm
Receiver sensitivity:-85dBm
Here's a mainpage of device

http://www.riitek.com/product/i8.html

and here is an useless manual

http://www.armanica.ir/image/data/produ ... manual.pdf

more info
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Rii_Mini_i8

MrRose

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Keyboard works fine under Ubuntu 14.04 but not under Raspbian

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:17 pm

MrRose wrote: ...
Here's a mainpage of device
http://www.riitek.com/product/i8.html
Very similar to this one: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... eyPad.html
That worked w/o problems for me: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... Zero_Setup
but
1) I "fully charged it" first via the provided cable and a 1A 'phone charger
2) Although the link above is for a Pi Zero + hub, IIRC initial quick tests were with my P3B
3) In both cases I was using an "*img file" based install of Raspbian, not a NOOBS-based install**
Trev.
** NOOBS itself can be somewhat "finicky" w.r.t. wireless keyboards, sometimes taking several seconds to recognise them and, on the very first boot may not do so until after it's "gone away" to perform some "first boot only" "disk housekeeping" (which can take some time, depending on the uSDHC card size)
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

MrRose

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:19 pm

It is impossible that exists any practical difference between NOOBS instalation and "pure" Raspbian.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:42 pm

MrRose wrote:It is impossible that exists any practical difference between NOOBS instalation and "pure" Raspbian.
To clarify further, if you're using NOOBS to install Raspbian (or any other O.S. that NOOBS can download if a network connection has been established) until that install has completed, AIUI, you are using a limited (busy-box?) version of Linux (kernel) and that supports fewer types of wireless keyboards (and, IIRC, does not support bluetooth devices). Once Raspbian (or other O.S.) has been installed then support is better. As yet, you haven't stated how you installed Raspbian and at what point in the process your keyboard is giving problems.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

MrRose

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 pm

I've installed it copying "full" version of NOOBS from RPi site. Bluetooth works fine. I didn't try wireless keyboard in the meantime but when I tried tonight I've seen that keyboard works in text editor. Touchpad is still not working correctly. In general, it works but not as expected (impossible to move cursor but it isn't dead). I have to correct myself. Touchpad doesn't work on Odroid (Ubuntu 14.04), too but it is working fine on Windows.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 pm

MrRose wrote:I've installed it copying "full" version of NOOBS from RPi site. Bluetooth works fine. I didn't try wireless keyboard in the meantime but when I tried tonight I've seen that keyboard works in text editor. Touchpad is still not working correctly. In general, it works but not as expected (impossible to move cursor but it isn't dead). I have to correct myself. Touchpad doesn't work on Odroid (Ubuntu 14.04), too but it is working fine on Windows.
Thank you for that extra info. - it appears that you aren't (or didn't) try the keyboard until after NOOBS had installed Raspbian. Given that it is impossible to test and check all variants of keyboard/chipset combinations unfortunately you seem to have one that's less well supported in Raspbian's (current) kernel. (Odriod/Ubuntu 14.04 probably uses an older kernel).
Trev.

Tinderbox (UK)

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:48 pm

There appears to be virtually identical version that have newer software, I bought the keyboard from ebay the same as you and the smart keys did nothing, I bought a branded retail boxed version from Amazon UK and the smart key`s work on this one.

I have not tried it on Raspbian just the OSMC Kodi player and it`s like night and day, the smart key`s work on this newer keyboard that i bought another one, so i have two now.

EDIT: I tried both my old and new keyboard in Raspbian and they both work, trackpad and left right mouse buttons, though smart buttons do not work on either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

John.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:There appears to be virtually identical version that have newer software, I bought the keyboard from ebay the same as you and the smart keys did nothing, I bought a branded retail boxed version from Amazon UK and the smart key`s work on this one.
For "cross reference" can you post the output of lsusb for each of those (since that of @MrRose and mine appear to use different chipsets)
Trev.

MrRose

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:47 pm

Smart keys works fine under Windows in my case. That means, everything's OK with the keyboard but problems are related with Linux.

BTW what's the function of Fn+Space?

Tinderbox (UK)

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:58 pm

OK, I have an Pi3B only the wireless keyboard dongles were connected to the usb port one at a time.

The top one is my new keyboard, the bottom is my old keyboard.

I noticed my new keyboard has a power button in place of a search button on the old keyboard, it does nothing when pressed in Raspbian anyway.

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Tinderbox (UK)

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:12 pm

It changes the touchpad dpi/speed.

The photo`s below are from my second newer keyboard.

John.

MrRose wrote:Smart keys works fine under Windows in my case. That means, everything's OK with the keyboard but problems are related with Linux.

BTW what's the function of Fn+Space?
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

MrRose

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:40 pm

Thank you for the answer and for these images. I'll try to play with Fn+Space, it could be answer fur my problem, I hope )

MrRose

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Unfortunately, no... it is not related with that function/

iminuru

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:28 am

I am having a similar problem on Raspberry-Pi-2 I have installed raspbian (2015-02-16-raspbian-wheezy.img) on a 4GB microSD card and my Pi is headless (using tight vnc). and 2b honest I am learning linux. Recently I bought a key board (Rii i8), Its just like the one above, by '"Tinderbox (UK)". It works fine on my windows 8 tablet but don't work on RPi2. I am pasting the lsusb and dmesg herehttp://pastebin.com/dA4VLx6D, and hope for a solution, cause i have seen videos showing this keyboard/touchpade working with raspberry-pi-2. (sorry for typos and bad english,, did a "sudo apt-get" both upgrade/update, but aren't helping)
Thanking in anticipation.
Last edited by iminuru on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

iminuru

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 am

Well, first of all, I would like to thank MrRose. I am copy/pasting his reply here (at the end), It was all due to using the Raspberry Pi 2, "Headless", as I am using tightVNC to connect to my Raspberry Pi 2, all the time. As soon as I connected my VGA monitor to Raspberry Pi 2 (via HDMI to VGA adapter) the keyboard (Rii i8) begin to work without any problem. Thank You, MrRose, and here is Your reply.
Hi
My keyboard works fine now. Problem existed when I tried to use keyboard while I am connected via VNC connection. When I use keyboard directly with computer connected to HDMI monitor, everything works fine.

MrRose.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 am

iminuru wrote: Hi
My keyboard works fine now. Problem existed when I tried to use keyboard while I am connected via VNC connection. When I use keyboard directly with computer connected to HDMI monitor, everything works fine.

MrRose.
That appears to be a perfect definition of PEBCAK.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

iminuru

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:29 pm

LOL @ myself and Your PEBCAK... :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”