W9RAN

Bluetooth drops and locks up

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Bluetooth audio seems to work OK as long as the audio source is running, but muting or stopping the app results in Bluetooth disconnect - never to return. Blueman applet will not respond ("Timeout reached") for connect, disconnnect, or any other function. Rebooting and re-pairing is necessary.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? Or do we wait til the Foundation gets around to making the BT and WiFi ready for prime time?

Bob

recklessfb

Re: Bluetooth drops and locks up

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:00 pm

I have the same problem on two different sd cards.
The first one was set up back in March and the bluetooth audio would work flawlessly then it stopped working after a few updates. I think it stopped working after I updated in July.
I set up a brand new card on the weekend. Grabbed the latest version of noobs(pixel) and made sure everything was updated. I didn't install any additional bluetooth module. Pixel doesn't come with blueman iirc. I connected the bluetooth speaker, it worked for about half an hour then the bluetooth hung. I don't think the problem is with blueman since my card doesn't have blueman and it still hangs.
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the problem.

W9RAN

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks, very similar to what I see. BT will play all day unless the audio source is muted or stopped, then it will time out and nothing short of a reboot will restore BT function. Can't get any response to pairing or connect commands. Something must be killing the driver and hopefully will be addressed.

Really hope the Foundation improves the functionality of WiFi and Bluetooth on the Pi 3, which is a major feature - it if works reliably.

Bob

W9RAN

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:22 am

I decided to try removing the blueman applet. Did that, purged, updated, etc. Bluetooth now seems to be a little better behaved but a new problem has come up - the Pi totally locks up after a while, not sure it's related. Python app freezes, USB devices unresponsive, remote ssh session disconnects. Examining logfiles, the kernel is not happy.

Bob

W9RAN

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Subsequently I disabled the bluetooth timeout function by commenting out the 2nd line below:

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

This still does not fix the bluetooth timeout problem. I'm filing a bug report.

recklessfb

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:24 pm

I connected my speaker again yesterday and the connection lasted for 60 minutes.

Thanks for filing the bug report. I was thinking about this last night and the only way around this problem so far is to restart the pi which is really annoying. Have you been able to get the bluetooth module to work without having to restart? I tried all sorts of bluetooth related commands I could find and couldn't get it to start again.
If we're able to get the module working again without restarting that would be a temporary fix while we find the root cause of this.

Looking at this thread, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147888&p=1058446&h ... z#p1058446
it could be caused my bluez. I'll try downgrading to bluez 4 to see if that does anything.

recklessfb

Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:31 pm

I still have this issue.
Bumping this in case someone elses has the same problem.

nightshark

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:26 am

I have this issue too. Has a solution been found?

Return to “Troubleshooting”