geneworld

.javaxxx using all my CPU

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry if this isn't in the right spot, I wasn't sure where to put my question. I recently made a fresh install of Rasbian Jessie with Pixel (2016-09-23-raspian-jessie.img) on one of my Pi Zeros and I have been using it mainly to test new programs before loading them on my other builds. I am also using this one to gain access to my network via my outside ip address and port 22 for ssh. I have a wifi dongle which also has a blue status led which blinks when data is being transferred.

Recently I noticed that blue led was staying on a lot and blinking fast and when I touched it that dongle would be very warm.

I logged in to my Pi and ran

Code: Select all

and noticed that there was a process called ".javaxxx" and it had my cpu basically pinned. I ended it with

sudo pkill .javaxxx
and it seemed that everything started working the way it used to. Once I kill the process it seems to be fine but on the rare occasions that I have to reboot the process comes back. :cry:

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a DDoS attack?

I saw there is a patch for the Dirty Cow (https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/fix-di ... pberry-pi/)by running

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel
Would this help out do you think?
1 B R1
4B R2 IR
1B+ USB Boot/RetroPie2.6/KODI
1Pi2 USB Boot/Media Server/Torrent Box
1Pi Zero Web-based universal remote control
2Pi Zero Misc.
1Pi3 USB Boot/RetroPie3.6/KODI/pianobar

topguy

Re: .javaxxx using all my CPU

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Will not work if someone already have infilltrated your system.

And it looks like you have been careless and not changed the pi password before exposing the unit to the wild.
https://bartblaze.blogspot.no/2015/09/n ... rddos.html

The only suggestion from me is total wipe of the SD-card and reinstall.
Either always change password for pi user to something strong or configure ssh to only use keys.

geneworld

Re: .javaxxx using all my CPU

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:02 pm

I was careless you're right. Well Lesson learned the hard way. Luckily I didn't get too deep into programming with this sd card!
1 B R1
4B R2 IR
1B+ USB Boot/RetroPie2.6/KODI
1Pi2 USB Boot/Media Server/Torrent Box
1Pi Zero Web-based universal remote control
2Pi Zero Misc.
1Pi3 USB Boot/RetroPie3.6/KODI/pianobar

Return to “Troubleshooting”