Pickyree

Pi 3 not booting up on TV but boots up on small touchscreen?

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 am

Hi,

I'm new to all this and have just got my son a Raspberry Pi 3 with a case that houses a small touchscreen and a wireless keyboard.

We've literally just unpacked it and tried to get it going but have fallen at the first hurdle!

So the Pi boots up properly on the small touchscreen but when plugged into a TV on the HDMI output, the display on the TV stops at the booting screen, however it fully boots on the small touchscreen at the same time. When he goes onto Minecraft, a small box appears on the boot screen on the TV (with the boot information still in the background) which displays the Minecraft game.

What we are wanting is for the TV to display the same as the small screen really.

Is there a problem with it?

I've been searching for an answer for the past hour with no luck. I've seen suggestions of the power supply might be inadequate so I've tried a different 2A supply, I've tried it with the small screen unplugged and the wireless keyboard unplugged in case it is drawing too much power for the supply but it just won't boot on the TV screen.

RAZERZ

Re: Pi 3 not booting up on TV but boots up on small touchscr

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 am

Open a terminal and type "sudo rm /boot/config.txt" report back.
Raspberry pi 3 set up as desktop with raspbian.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

Pickyree

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply, I really am a noobie with all this (in fact I had no idea what a terminal was and have had to look it up!) it's a steep learning curve for me but I am eager to learn.

OK, so I typed that in and got the following

rm: cannot remove '/boot/config.txt': No such file or directory

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:18 pm

RAZERZ wrote:Open a terminal and type "sudo rm /boot/config.txt" report back.
That is very poor advice - just as well it didn't allow that command.
Rather than delete, you can just list it and post it here with this command :

Code: Select all

cat /boot/config.txt
It may also be useful to show the cmdline.txt file :

Code: Select all

cat /boot/cmdline.txt
These commands just show the contents of those files - it doesn't change any of them.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:57 pm

In general, when you configure a Pi to output to a particular screen, the other video output(s) are disabled.

If you want to continue to use the touchscreen, I would suggest getting another SD card for use with your TV. If you don't mind a bit of a learning curve, it is possible to modify the configuration and reboot each time you want to switch displays. Personally, I would just get another SD card and install a fresh image of the latest Raspbian.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Pickyree wrote:...So the Pi boots up properly on the small touchscreen but when plugged into a TV on the HDMI output, the display on the TV stops at the booting screen, however it fully boots on the small touchscreen at the same time. When he goes onto Minecraft, a small box appears on the boot screen on the TV (with the boot information still in the background) which displays the Minecraft game.

What we are wanting is for the TV to display the same as the small screen really...
The problem is the two screens run at very different resolutions. The small touchscreens are typically 320x240, while your HD TV is probably 1920x1080 (or at least 1280x720). This is why the picture is a tiny box on the big screen. Only a 320x240 area of the larger 1920x1080 screen is being used. It might be possible to get the TV to scale the image up, but it would look horrible

Pickyree

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:01 am

Thanks for your replies, I tried disconnecting the touchscreen and just plugging into the TV via hdmi but it still sticks at the boot screen on the TV. It's this because the software for the touchscreen has booted and therefore it won't work on the TV? I think I'll getv another sd card and load just raspian on instead of raspian and the touchscreen software which I think it has now.

HawaiianPi

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 am

Pickyree wrote:Thanks for your replies, I tried disconnecting the touchscreen and just plugging into the TV via hdmi but it still sticks at the boot screen on the TV. It's this because the software for the touchscreen has booted and therefore it won't work on the TV? I think I'll getv another sd card and load just raspian on instead of raspian and the touchscreen software which I think it has now.
Yup. The OS on the card is configured to switch the output to the little touchscreen. This happens during the boot process because those screens are not supported by default, so you see the boot process up to the point the little screen is activated, then everything goes there.

Getting another card is your best bet, because setting up those little screens can be a pain in the ... hindquarters, so if you already have a working setup you probably don't want to mess with it. Once you become more proficient with the Pi you should be able to figure out what needs to be changed to boot to one screen or the other.

Return to “Troubleshooting”