michelinok

Loosing wifi connection...getting it again after some time

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:51 am

Hi there!
I've a problem with a dongle on a raspberry 1 running the latest raspbian.
Everything works ok, the signal is very good, but i lose wifi link a lot of times during the day and it connects again after some time (may vary from 5 mins to 1 hour).
The power is ok (using a 2.1A)
The raspberry don't reboot, it's still up and running (i'm sure due to a debug led i've connected to a gpio pin).
Any idea? I've disabled the power manager and i'm not running any sort of X desktops.

Ideas?
---------------------------
http://www.iu5hes.it
---------------------------

wh7qq

Re: Loosing wifi connection...getting it again after some ti

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:15 pm

There are several things to try. It sounds like you are getting some kind of interference with your wifi signal, either a neighbor who is using the same channel or another device like a microwave oven or portable phone. First, try changing the channel setting in your router's firmware. You may still be on the default channel 6 setting. Try channel 1...try em all if need be. I have found wifi signals vary with time of day too. I am rural so it is not likely to be an interference issue.

Wifi tends to be iffy and your distance from the router or AP is a major factor. The antennae on the little USB dongles is tiny and size really does matter. Same for the RPi3 antenna...very small chip antenna. Try putting the RPi close to the source of the wifi signal and see if that helps. The only guaranteed internet connection is an ethernet cable.

Return to “Troubleshooting”