jamie360

Eth0 cable connection only connects locally.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I am trying to get my raspberry pi to connect to the internet to download a package but it wont connect. I use it as a local server thing and that works by using its local ip but it wont connect to the internet. I know its not the cable and i used the cable on my laptop find connecting to the internet but on my pi it doesnt work.

wh7qq

Re: Eth0 cable connection only connects locally.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:10 am

We need some more information. What Pi and what OS are you using? Versions? What is between your Pi and the internet? Router, modem, switch? What does

Code: Select all

ifconfig
return? Can you ping outside sites, say 8.8.8.8 or http://www.yahoo.com? Results?

stderr

Re: Eth0 cable connection only connects locally.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:16 am

jamie360 wrote:I am trying to get my raspberry pi to connect to the internet to download a package but it wont connect. I use it as a local server thing and that works by using its local ip but it wont connect to the internet. I know its not the cable and i used the cable on my laptop find connecting to the internet but on my pi it doesnt work.
Do you have a default route? ping your router and then check if you have a default route. Then ping 8.8.8.8 which is google and outside your network. Then try a name, say ping www.google.com and see if that works. It's a process that you should use building on each success and fixing each failure before even trying the next thing because it is impossible to get past the one point if the previous ones aren't right.

Return to “Troubleshooting”