dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Logitech k400 keyboard and v3.2

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 am

I won't be able to help without first know the exact update that broke it. Look here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... kernel.img

That's a list of all commits to kernel.img (which is probably the relevant file).

Click on the "browse code" button next to a given date's kernel. You can now click "view raw" and download that version of the kernel.

Hopefully just the kernel is sufficient to see if the problem still occurs.
You will need associated modules if you want to startx or use external peripherals, but normally the keyboard is handled in the main kernel.

LordDiGio

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Seems to be this the last kernel that worked

Linux rpi 3.2.27+ #102 PREEMPT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012 armv6l

Commit: fe629bcc9ada59e7fe0b90141210953aaae3c4fd

I tried the following ones and the problem occurred. But I recommend others with the problem to try it the same, just to be sure it's the last firmware in which the keyboard works without problems.

Sleep Mode zZ

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:14 pm

LordDiGio wrote:Seems to be this the last kernel that worked

Linux rpi 3.2.27+ #102 PREEMPT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012 armv6l

Commit: fe629bcc9ada59e7fe0b90141210953aaae3c4fd

I tried the following ones and the problem occurred. But I recommend others with the problem to try it the same, just to be sure it's the last firmware in which the keyboard works without problems.
This firmware do not work without problems for me. Sometimes the keyboard works, sometimes not.

MaxK1

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Is the right module (or any module) being loaded for that keyboard?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

LordDiGio

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:This firmware do not work without problems for me. Sometimes the keyboard works, sometimes not.
Okay, I rebooted the rpi only twice and both times worked, I will try it again. However there is also this version that (for me) seems that worked.
MaxK1 wrote:Is the right module (or any module) being loaded for that keyboard?
The module hid_logitech_dj (I think that it's him) is loaded at start but the keyboard still doesn't work.

MaxK1

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:32 pm

OK - Was it after a reboot (without powering down) or booting from power-off?
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

PaulCheffus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 pm

MaxK1 wrote:OK - Was it after a reboot (without powering down) or booting from power-off?
Hi

In my case it can be either reboot using

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -r now
or when first switching on. Subsequent power ons can sometimes work and sometimes it can take several attempts before the keyboard works. I can guarantee when booting that if I only get the one line instead of the three I posted earlier in this thread the the keyboard will fail. (I haven't actually tried the touchpad since the upgrade).

I am pretty sure that v3.2.x has broken it and the earliest version of that I used was 3.2.27+ #12 PREMPT on 19 August and it was definitely not working after that update. This would have been upgraded straight from v3.1.9+ but I'm not sure of the PREEMPT version of this as the card has been overwritten.

I didn't upgrade between 25 July and 19 August so I am guessing its a change between the these two dates that broke it. Hopefully I will have time tonight to reimage a card with the version from 25 July and then move forward to 3.2.27 to see what happens. This could take a while though as it appears to be inconsistent as I have had reboots where it has worked afterwards.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

MaxK1

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Is there a switch for "pairing" on the bottom of the keyboard? If so, does that help/hurt/not make a difference? Sometimes/always/never? It's those "Sometimes it works, sometimes not" that turns otherwise sane and lucid driver writers into babbling idiots sitting in doorways with a brown paper bag.

Where did I put my bag?

PaulCheffus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

MaxK1 wrote:Is there a switch for "pairing" on the bottom of the keyboard? If so, does that help/hurt/not make a difference? Sometimes/always/never? It's those "Sometimes it works, sometimes not" that turns otherwise sane and lucid driver writers into babbling idiots sitting in doorways with a brown paper bag.

Where did I put my bag?
Hi

Nothing for pairing on the keyboard though there might be something in windows but I feel this is irrelevant as this keyboard worked perfectly well on 3.1.9+ since I received my pi on 28 June until the upgrade 19 August. The only thing that has changed is the OS and firmware.

Cheers

Paul

MaxK1

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:04 pm

And a bunch of stuff in the long chain of drivers (including the firmware) and presumably the Logitech driver itself. I'm just trying to narrow down what change(s) could cause the problem and which symptoms are constant. Does unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in always work?

PaulCheffus

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:35 pm

MaxK1 wrote:And a bunch of stuff in the long chain of drivers (including the firmware) and presumably the Logitech driver itself. I'm just trying to narrow down what change(s) could cause the problem and which symptoms are constant. Does unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in always work?
Hi

Not tried that so can't comment.

Cheers

Paul

LordDiGio

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:This firmware do not work without problems for me. Sometimes the keyboard works, sometimes not.
I tried that firmware again, rebooted\powered off the rpi 10 times and the keyboard still was working. So are you sure that you put the files correctly?
MaxK1 wrote:OK - Was it after a reboot (without powering down) or booting from power-off?
Both
MaxK1 wrote:Is there a switch for "pairing" on the bottom of the keyboard? If so, does that help/hurt/not make a difference? Sometimes/always/never? It's those "Sometimes it works, sometimes not" that turns otherwise sane and lucid driver writers into babbling idiots sitting in doorways with a brown paper bag.

Where did I put my bag?
There is only an "on\off" switch, tried to boot in both status nothing changed.
MaxK1 wrote:And a bunch of stuff in the long chain of drivers (including the firmware) and presumably the Logitech driver itself. I'm just trying to narrow down what change(s) could cause the problem and which symptoms are constant. Does unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in always work?
Yep, unplugging and plugging back the receiver always work

MaxK1

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 pm

LordDiGio wrote:
I tried that firmware again, rebooted\powered off the rpi 10 times and the keyboard still was working. So are you sure that you put the files correctly?

Whoa - they aren't my files. I have nothing to do with any of it. Just trying to help you guys find the source of the problem. So you tried it 10 times with OLD firmware, OLD drivers with the OLD kernel and it worked. Have you done the same with the NEW firmware, NEW drivers and NEW kernel?

Both

Where did I put my bag?
There is only an "on\off" switch, tried to boot in both status nothing changed.
Yep, unplugging and plugging back the receiver always work
With the new or the old or both? It's not clear from your response. If it always works with both kernels when the dongle is plugged in after the system boots, I would be inclined to believe the Logitech driver does not always initialize properly following just a reboot. Timing? Does anyone have it working on a powered hub (known good supply)?

LordDiGio

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 pm

MaxK1 wrote:
LordDiGio wrote:
Whoa - they aren't my files. I have nothing to do with any of it. Just trying to help you guys find the source of the problem. So you tried it 10 times with OLD firmware, OLD drivers with the OLD kernel and it worked. Have you done the same with the NEW firmware, NEW drivers and NEW kernel?
If you look well, mine was a response at Sleep Mode zZ, not you! :lol: However no, I didn't try 10 times with the NEW kernel...
MaxK1 wrote:With the new or the old or both? It's not clear from your response. If it always works with both kernels when the dongle is plugged in after the system boots, I would be inclined to believe the Logitech driver does not always initialize properly following just a reboot. Timing? Does anyone have it working on a powered hub (known good supply)?
I meaned only with the new kernel, with the old (that I linked in the previous post) there are no problems at all. And I always used a powered hub.

Sleep Mode zZ

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:36 am

LordDiGio wrote:
What files? The firmware version on my machine is the result of apt-get upgrade done a couple days ago. uname -a gives me (copy pasted from terminal): Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #102 PREEMPT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux. The keyboard have been functioning about 6 times from ten. Two times I have unplugged and re-plugged the receiver and on both times it have worked.

Also I don't know how to try different version from github, so I haven't done it.

PaulCheffus

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am

Hi

I didn't get chance to have a look last night real life got in the way. I will try this weekend with an older version.

Cheers

Paul

LordDiGio

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:47 am

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:What files? The firmware version on my machine is the result of apt-get upgrade done a couple days ago. uname -a gives me (copy pasted from terminal): Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #102 PREEMPT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux. The keyboard have been functioning about 6 times from ten. Two times I have unplugged and re-plugged the receiver and on both times it have worked.

Also I don't know how to try different version from github, so I haven't done it.
You are right, also this kernel (3.2.27+ #102 PREEMPT Sat Sep 1) is bugged, I turned on the Pi for the first time today and keyboard wasn't working. So I just was lucky until now.

For how download from github look at the last post of dom.

Sleep Mode zZ

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

LordDiGio wrote:For how download from github look at the last post of dom.
Ok, so just download a version of the kernel.img and overwrite the old one on the boot partition? Tried that twice and my pi wouldn't boot, I just got the colorful start screen. Replaced the kernel.img with the original and it works fine. I'm doing something wrong?

encryptix

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 am

I also have this problem (although im using a MK520 just the keyboard) and would like to assist if possible.

( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920-00 ... omputers_2 )

Reinserting the usb receiver always works.

MaxK1

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Could someone try the following:

boot a 3.2.27+ system WITH the dongle inserted and post an lsmod and dmesg.
That should cover the case where it does NOT work.

Then remove and insert the dongle and post the lsmod and dmesg output again.
That should cover the case where it DOES work.

Also post your /boot/cmdline.txt

What I'm looking for is evidence that the keyboard needs BOTH of the Logitech HID
drivers in order to function.

dom

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:
Ok, so just download a version of the kernel.img and overwrite the old one on the boot partition? Tried that twice and my pi wouldn't boot, I just got the colorful start screen. Replaced the kernel.img with the original and it works fine. I'm doing something wrong?
Did the kernel.img look about the right size? (About 5M is right). I wonder if your download succeeded.
Did you update it on the Pi or another machine?

Sleep Mode zZ

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:38 pm

dom wrote:
Sleep Mode zZ wrote:
Did the kernel.img look about the right size? (About 5M is right). I wonder if your download succeeded.
Did you update it on the Pi or another machine?
Yes, the size was about 5M. I did the update on another machine (Ubuntu) with a card reader.

dom

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:Yes, the size was about 5M. I did the update on another machine (Ubuntu) with a card reader.
Might be worth trying again, and if it fails try diffing the file on the sdcard with a freshly downloaded version.
Might also be worth running a chkdisk/fsck type program in case there is corruption on that partition of card.

Sleep Mode zZ

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Now it succeeded (with the Aug 15 image). The keyboard won't function at all, not even by replugging. I will try other images...

Sleep Mode zZ

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Until now:
boots, k400 do not work at all (even with replugging):
Aug 7
Aug 15
Aug 19_2

do not boot, just the colorful screen:
Aug 18
Aug 19_1

(My pi starts X automatically, do that influence testing?)

Return to “Troubleshooting”