PCMRwill0956

Bricked my Pi 3. It kernel panics every time I try to boot

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:30 pm

I've tried to read the SD card, but (using the same reader I wrote the image with), it won't read it. I've successfully done it before.

So, is there a way I can reset the Pi's config.txt?

jgreen71

Re: Bricked my Pi 3. It kernel panics every time I try to bo

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:15 pm

You've (probably) not bricked your Pi. The SD card, who knows.

We need more information. What kind of computer are you using to read the SD card? External or built-in card reader?

What OS for the Pi are you trying to use as well? Raspbian? With more information we can give you better advice.

PCMRwill0956

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 pm

jgreen71 wrote:You've (probably) not bricked your Pi. The SD card, who knows.

We need more information. What kind of computer are you using to read the SD card? External or built-in card reader?

What OS for the Pi are you trying to use as well? Raspbian? With more information we can give you better advice.
I'm using Raspbian.

I'm using an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro to read it, external SD card reader.

HawaiianPi

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:37 am

If the card is not readable now, your only option is to try and reformat it. Use the SD Card Formatter utility from the SD association, and make sure you turn the Format Size Adjustment option ON.

If the card is larger than 32GB and you want it in FAT32 format, then you will also need to reformat it using GUIformat, since the SD Formatter will default to exFAT for larger cards.

If you are unsuccessful using Windows applications, then you could try GParted under Linux.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

wh7qq

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Failing a good reformat of the SD card, get a new one from a reputable source and check it with h2testw or f3 to be sure it is not counterfeit. Be sure it is 8 G or larger and class 4 or higher. Load a fresh copy of Raspbian on that and most likely, your Pi will boot normally.

PCMRwill0956

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:51 am

HawaiianPi wrote:If the card is not readable now, your only option is to try and reformat it. Use the SD Card Formatter utility from the SD association, and make sure you turn the Format Size Adjustment option ON.

If the card is larger than 32GB and you want it in FAT32 format, then you will also need to reformat it using GUIformat, since the SD Formatter will default to exFAT for larger cards.

If you are unsuccessful using Windows applications, then you could try GParted under Linux.
The SD card reader I'm using isn't working.

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 am

Then your SD card is probably dead. Get a new SD card and load a fresh Raspbian image.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”