willie_mctell
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:52 pm

keyboard choice raspbian jessie pixel

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Just installed Jessie Pixel on a pi 2. I'm having trouble with keyboard localization. I've reset it to USA standard in the Preferences utility numerous times and it reverts to British within the same session. I reset it to USA and it works while I'm using the same application but will revert if I switch to a different one. The thing that's been getting to me is double quotes. I don't want to get used to shift-2 if I don't have to. <g>

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 24050
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: keyboard choice raspbian jessie pixel

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:37 am

willie_mctell wrote:Just installed Jessie Pixel on a pi 2. I'm having trouble with keyboard localization. I've reset it to USA standard in the Preferences utility numerous times and it reverts to British within the same session. I reset it to USA and it works while I'm using the same application but will revert if I switch to a different one. The thing that's been getting to me is double quotes. I don't want to get used to shift-2 if I don't have to. <g>
Open LX Terminal and use raspi-config to undertake changes:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -config.md
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

klricks
Posts: 7232
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: keyboard choice raspbian jessie pixel

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:16 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
willie_mctell wrote:Just installed Jessie Pixel on a pi 2. I'm having trouble with keyboard localization. I've reset it to USA standard in the Preferences utility numerous times and it reverts to British within the same session. I reset it to USA and it works while I'm using the same application but will revert if I switch to a different one. The thing that's been getting to me is double quotes. I don't want to get used to shift-2 if I don't have to. <g>
Open LX Terminal and use raspi-config to undertake changes:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -config.md
A reboot is required after using raspi-config to change keyboard settings.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

wh7qq
Posts: 1475
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:50 am

Re: keyboard choice raspbian jessie pixel

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:49 am

No changes I could make from the preferences menu or raspi-config made any diffrence. It was necessary to manually change the /etc/default/keyboard file

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard
to read

Code: Select all

XKBLAYOUT="us"
. This is not peculiar to Pixel, but any new installation of Raspian (not Noobs). I saw it on the previous upgrade as well. With Noobs, the little panel at the bottom of the installation screen allows a permanent change to another keyboard layout.

klricks
Posts: 7232
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: keyboard choice raspbian jessie pixel

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:59 am

wh7qq wrote:No changes I could make from the preferences menu or raspi-config made any diffrence. It was necessary to manually change the /etc/default/keyboard file

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard
to read

Code: Select all

XKBLAYOUT="us"
. This is not peculiar to Pixel, but any new installation of Raspian (not Noobs). I saw it on the previous upgrade as well. With Noobs, the little panel at the bottom of the installation screen allows a permanent change to another keyboard layout.
I have no trouble setting the keyboard to US in RJ Pixel (non NOOBS)...... OR using sudo raspi-config.
When using raspi-config.......One common mistake people make is after selecting keyboard Model (generic keyboard).... in the next menu you have to scroll down and choose [Other] then choose English (US) in the country of origin menu. On the next menu you have to again choose English (US). If not done correctly then the keyboard will remain set to GB. ...The keyboard model setting at the very start is not important....just choose one of the generic keyboards......

- The GUI keyboard config utility works in GUI only. No reboot is required.
- Keyboard setting with raspi-config (or direct edit of /etc/default/keyboard) does not change the GUI keyboard and is only required for those who boot to CLI (Not GUI). Reboot is required.
- Keyboard setting applies to the local attached keyboard only. NOT remote keyboards via RDP, VNC etc
- From other posts I believe keyboard setting does not work correctly with BT keyboards? I don't have a BT keyboard to try.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”