James_Penrod

Simple Pi Zero WiFi CCTV not so simple after all...

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:12 pm

I've read the stickies and nothing seems to be quite specific to my set up, but certain elements perhaps. I'm using the newest Raspian, but not NOOBS.

I'm not a programmer, and have even less of an idea on a Linux environment. Here's the basics:

Reading up on Pi Zero and using a webcam, looked like a great way to make a budget Wi-Fi CCTV system, but with HD quality.

What I have:

5mp usb camera
8gb micro s with full Raspian
USB dell keyboard
USB mouse (wal-mart no name)
Micro to standard USB GTO single
HDMI converter (and 6' standard cable)
TWO 1amp USB power supplies and cables
32" LCD monitor
Pi Zero (seemingly unable to recognize keyboard or mouse)

Configuration:

HDMI obviously where it goes
One USB power supply to the Power In (Right Micro USB)
One USB power supply to GTO
GTO plugged into Data USB (Left Micro USB)
Keyboard and Mouse plugged into GTO
(mouse has its own 5v 1amp supply)
SD card mounted.

On Power Up:

Goes through checks, all green 'Ok'
GUI up and ready (and stunning in HD)
Absolutely NO response from keyboard or mouse.
Plug phone into GTO full size USB ports and it starts charging no problem.
Mouse -and- keyboard work just fine on two Windows and one Mac laptop.

W-T-F ?

Do I need to enable the Data USB to use them? Shouldn't that already be done as it doesn't effect any terminal modes or whatnot?

So...help. I can't even begin to set up the Wi-Fi or a camera until I can at least use the GUI or even get to a terminal where I can try and hamfist some code into it.

drgeoff

Re: Simple Pi Zero WiFi CCTV not so simple after all...

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:46 pm

The USB port supports one device. You need a USB hub if you want to use more than one device.

LeoWhite

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:15 pm

James_Penrod wrote:I've read the stickies and nothing seems to be quite specific to my set up, but certain elements perhaps. I'm using the newest Raspian, but not NOOBS.

I'm not a programmer, and have even less of an idea on a Linux environment. Here's the basics:

Reading up on Pi Zero and using a webcam, looked like a great way to make a budget Wi-Fi CCTV system, but with HD quality.

What I have:

5mp usb camera
8gb micro s with full Raspian
USB dell keyboard
USB mouse (wal-mart no name)
Micro to standard USB GTO single
HDMI converter (and 6' standard cable)
TWO 1amp USB power supplies and cables
32" LCD monitor
Pi Zero (seemingly unable to recognize keyboard or mouse)
Do you have a USB hub to allow plugging in of both keyboard and mouse (And presumably the WiFi dongle and camera?)
James_Penrod wrote: Configuration:

HDMI obviously where it goes
One USB power supply to the Power In (Right Micro USB)
One USB power supply to GTO
Not sure this is a good idea/needed Depending on how the USB to GTO cable is wired it may be providing two power inputs into the PiZero. If it is that kind, then you shouldn't need the USB power in the right most micro USB port (As both ports are connected to the power in on the RPi Zero).

James_Penrod wrote: GTO plugged into Data USB (Left Micro USB)
Keyboard and Mouse plugged into GTO
(mouse has its own 5v 1amp supply)
So that's possibly three power supplies connected to the PiZero :)

I'm guessing there must be USB hub in there somewhere.
James_Penrod wrote:
SD card mounted.

On Power Up:

Goes through checks, all green 'Ok'
GUI up and ready (and stunning in HD)
Absolutely NO response from keyboard or mouse.
Plug phone into GTO full size USB ports and it starts charging no problem.
Mouse -and- keyboard work just fine on two Windows and one Mac laptop.

W-T-F ?
Does the keyboard or mouse work if its the only thing plugged in? As I'd expect most adaptor cables to provide only a single full sized USB port.
James_Penrod wrote:
Do I need to enable the Data USB to use them? Shouldn't that already be done as it doesn't effect any terminal modes or whatnot?
Nope, USB support works by default. At this point I would be suspecting the adaptor cable, I know I've had a cable work the first time and then fail to ever work again.
James_Penrod wrote:
So...help. I can't even begin to set up the Wi-Fi or a camera until I can at least use the GUI or even get to a terminal where I can try and hamfist some code into it.
The latest version of Raspbian will, apparently, check for a wpa_supplicant.conf file on the boot partition of the SD card (i.e. the one you can access in Windows) and copy that to /etc/wpa_supplicant/ folder, which should allow you to get WiFi up and running without needing a USB keyboard attached (Mentioned in https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/ details on wpa_supplicant.conf file at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md).

Of course you didn't list a WiFi dongle above, as the Pi Zero doesn't have built in WiFi you will be needing one.

Leo

James_Penrod

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:50 pm

I've tried this:

HDMI out to monitor
GTO plugged into -left- USB port
Power supply plugged into GTO
Keyboard plugged into GTO (keyboard has independent power supply and works with two different windows laptops and one mac, I don't have a USB converter so I'm using the GTO for that, as later it's what will be used with the cam and wifi dongle anyways)

Can't use the keyboard to access GUI

Switched out the keyboard with the mouse ( also independent power ) and no GUI access.

Thoughts?

drgeoff

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 pm

What is this GTO of which you write?

I know what USB On-The-Go (USB OTG or just OTG) is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go - but that seems irrelevant to your needs:

1. A Zero normally works in host mode. If put into client mode it cannot work with other USB clients such as keyboards and mice.

2. If you want to use more than one USB device with a Zero, you must use a USB hub. OTG is not synonymous with USB hub.

James_Penrod

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Sorry, my fingers are dumb, I'm trying to type OTG, but for some reason they keep typing out GTO.

I was under the impression that this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272287863283?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Would work as a hub and allow me to use a mouse and keyboard, and later be the sole connections for using the wifi and camera in it's final form.

(thank you for being patient)

DougieLawson

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 pm

James_Penrod wrote:Sorry, my fingers are dumb, I'm trying to type OTG, but for some reason they keep typing out GTO.
That's a nasty case of Pontiac disease you've got there. It should clear up in a few days.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:18 am

Why not simply use motioneyeos?

LeoWhite

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 am

James_Penrod wrote:I've tried this:

HDMI out to monitor
Keyboard plugged into GTO (keyboard has independent power supply and works with two different windows laptops and one mac, I don't have a USB converter so I'm using the GTO for that, as later it's what will be used with the cam and wifi dongle anyways)

Switched out the keyboard with the mouse ( also independent power ) and no GUI access.

Thoughts?
Hmm, its sounding like that USB adaptor/hub isn't working well with the PiZero.

I don't suppose you have a single port OTG cable you can try instead? With just the keyboard or mouse connected to see if things work that way?

Leo

RaTTuS

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:50 am

use the RPi camera anyway ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

James_Penrod

Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:47 pm

LeoWhite wrote:
James_Penrod wrote:I've tried this:

HDMI out to monitor

Thoughts?
Hmm, its sounding like that USB adaptor/hub isn't working well with the PiZero.

I don't suppose you have a single port OTG cable you can try instead? With just the keyboard or mouse connected to see if things work that way?

Leo

Yeeeeaaaahhhh........don't have any other port but that one. That's been my fear this whole time. :/

The idea has been to try and make an 'over the counter component' solar powered wifi cctv system that was inexpensive. My hubris to believe I could get it right the fist rip, eh? lol

I think I need to get a simple micro to regular port converter and go forward from there.

James_Penrod

Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:57 pm

RaTTuS wrote:use the RPi camera anyway ....
Because the RPi camera negates keeping within the confines of an inexpensive build. I've sourced a 5 MP camera for under $4.

In it's current configuration, (including the weatherproof dummy camera housing) this solar powered Pi Zero 801.11N wifi 5MP CCTV camera is just under $28 USD. The Rpi would throw me way over budget.

Return to “Troubleshooting”