Phlum

Upgrading to Raspbian

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 am

Hello,
I had Debian on my SD card, but I want to install Raspbian on there instead. However, Windows is only recognising a teeny 75mb of my 8gb card.
How can I get the space back and get Raspbian on the card? I've tried fiddling with the partitions on Disk Management, but unfortunately Windows can't do a thing with the "unallocated space" that is most of my card. o~o

Regards
You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bon-fire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense.
- Napoleon Bonaparte, on Fulton's Steamship

mdewey

Re: Upgrading to Raspbian

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:07 am

If you write the Raspbian image onto your card the same way as you wrote the Debian one it should overwrite everything you have on the card. As you probably know the space is still there but it is using a file system Windows does not recognise.

Phlum

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:09 am

mdewey wrote:If you write the Raspbian image onto your card the same way as you wrote the Debian one it should overwrite everything you have on the card. As you probably know the space is still there but it is using a file system Windows does not recognise.
So using Win32DiskImager as I did previously should work fine?
You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bon-fire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense.

Mortimer

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 am

Don't worry about what Windows appears to show mounted in the Windows Explorer window, under My Computer, this will only ever show partitions that Windows can actually read, which is just the 75MB boot partition you are talking about. The rest of the SD-card is formatted in EXT4 which Windows doesn't know what to do with. If you right click My Computer and select Manage. A Computer Management window will open up, and if you select Disk Management you'll see that there are other partitions on the SD-card that are mounted.

The Windisk Imager software should overwrite the whole card anyway.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Phlum

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am

It worked fine. Thanks for your assistance.

Return to “Troubleshooting”