OcoBri

Can't view terminal on official 7" touchscreen

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm using a Pi 3B with the official 7" touchscreen. When I open a terminal window, even after resizing and changing the preferences, it is larger than the screen, so I cannot read the bottom few lines. How can I resize the terminal window to be visible? I'm surprised I couldn't find any other posts about this.

Thanks in advance.

OcoBri

Re: Can't view terminal on official 7" touchscreen

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:47 pm

bump

JimmyN

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:26 pm

You probably couldn't find any other posts about it because the default window size for the terminal is 80x24, and that size fits on the 7" screen no problem, with the taskbar still visible and some space on each side. So either the screen is running at a lower resolution, or the terminals default window size has been changed.

Open the terminal, right click in the title bar and select "Resize". You'll see a blue rectangle show up in the middle of the window with the current window size. It would normally show "80 x 24", what does yours show?

Candyjet

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm struggling with this one too.

I have an official touchscreen. I have written a script, which runs a tkinter graphics window. Once selections have been made in the window, the tkinter bit shuts down, and then calls a python 3 script. This script runs in terminal, and the terminal window is too big to fit on the touchscreen.

So far I have tried,

Right-click on terminal title bar and resize. This works, but only when that program is running. If I shut it all down and restart the tkinter program, my selected terminal size has been forgotten.

Editing lxterminal.desktop and edited

Code: Select all

Exec=lxterminal --geometry=70x23
Actually, I added only the --geometry bit.

This works when clicking on the lxterminal desktop icon, but when my python script launches, the terminal window is too big again.

How can I save this terminal window size, permanently?

Thanks,

CJ

Return to “Troubleshooting”