datguy.dev

Anyone help me with Motion (web server issue)

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Greetings,
I was wanting to build a Rpi web cam server. I picked up a pan/tilt platform, usb cam, powered usb, and external HDD, just for this project. But it has been a real headache thus far to say the least. Just software related issues. I'm having absolutely no luck at all. I can get a video feed from guvcview so at least there is that. But I need a network web camera.

So after messing around with various options to stream the video - and failing hard, I reverted back to Motion. I've used motion in the past and had success with it. I set it up enabling daemons and adjusting the configs to allow remote access, which is turned off by default. Below are my results.

'ps aux' outputs that motion is running. I'm not sure what is wrong with the ports, but their messed up. (Their default 8080 & 8081 in config) I can reach the portal for web cam controls, and that is about it. The other port refuses to open? I've experienced intermittent issues where nmap will report that the closed port is now open. Though I'm still unable to connect. Tried viewing through Firefox and VLC.

Any help is much appreciated,
-dev

(Open image in new tab for higher res.)

fungus666

Re: Anyone help me with Motion (web server issue)

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:27 pm

- Are you using Apache? Double check your conf.
- Can you see the site at http://localhost:8080? Use lynx2 if you dont use xorg
- try HTTPS://ip:8080

datguy.dev

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:28 am

fungus666 wrote:- Are you using Apache? Double check your conf.
- Can you see the site at http://localhost:8080? Use lynx2 if you dont use xorg
- try HTTPS://ip:8080
No Apache.

I'm using a distro? called Minibian, a stripped down version of Raspbian, for SD space reasons. I will have to try localhost viewing given that port refuses to open. That didn't come to mind as I had removed the browser while freeing up disk space. Shockingly, Minibian + LXDE is only about 2GB after install.

I have to study right now for school. But I will try your suggestion shortly and get back to you.

Update: No luck with those suggestion from the host, except to the previous cam control page as before. Connection refused. At this point I just want a working web cam stream. We don't have to troubleshoot motion if you have a rock solid option? (And don't say VLC or mjpg-streamer please)

datguy.dev

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:59 am

I give up. Buying a lattepanda.

pi-anazazi

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:13 am

Take 20 min and this instruction

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=44966&hilit=jessie ... &start=375

...should work ;-)
Kind regards

anazazi

RpiName

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:15 am

datguy.dev wrote: So after messing around with various options to stream the video - and failing hard
See UV4L:
http://linux-projects.org

Return to “Troubleshooting”