antonio8909
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Updating Libreoffice

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 am

Hi,

I have on my Raspbian Jessie the Libreoffice 4.3.3.2 and I want to upgrade to Libreoffice 5.2.0.

How can I do it?

Thanks!

asandford
Posts: 1935
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Updating Libreoffice

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:48 am

antonio8909 wrote:Hi,

I have on my Raspbian Jessie the Libreoffice 4.3.3.2 and I want to upgrade to Libreoffice 5.2.0.

How can I do it?

Thanks!
Assumng that LO is part of the standard Debian Jessie build, then it won't update much (if any) from the version you have with apt; when the OS is released it locks packages at the current version and they're only updated for critical security / bug fixes. If the RPF added it to the Raspbian Jessie build, then they can update it if they want.

Your only other options are to remove all installed LO packages, then build from source, or run an installer if one is available for the archtecture you are using.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 16174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Updating Libreoffice

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:07 am

antonio8909 wrote:Hi,

I have on my Raspbian Jessie the Libreoffice 4.3.3.2 and I want to upgrade to Libreoffice 5.2.0.

How can I do it?

Thanks!
As far as I am aware only ArchLinuxArm has 5.2 in their Repository

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7 ... fice-fresh

.
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

User avatar
Hiisi
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:11 am
Location: Internet

Re: Updating Libreoffice

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:45 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
As far as I am aware only ArchLinuxArm has 5.2 in their Repository

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7 ... fice-fresh

.
Any way to install it under Jessie?

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 16174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Updating Libreoffice

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 am

Hiisi wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
As far as I am aware only ArchLinuxArm has 5.2 in their Repository

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7 ... fice-fresh

.
Any way to install it under Jessie?
Yes with Raspbian go from Jessie (Stable) to Stretch (Testing) and you will have lots of newer packages not just LibreOffice ;)
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

User avatar
Hiisi
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:11 am
Location: Internet

Re: Updating Libreoffice

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:24 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Yes with Raspbian go from Jessie (Stable) to Stretch (Testing) and you will have lots of newer packages not just LibreOffice ;)
Thanks!
Just for the input: I did the following. Edited /etc/apt/sources.list file, changed 'jessie' to 'stretch', then

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Aftewards edited the sources file again to its previous state. Everything worked like a charm! Althrough it's advicable to back-up any important data in advance. This way I have LO 5 running under raspbian jessie.

jsmith0103
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Re: Updating Libreoffice

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm

I tried this, but now every time I go to Add/Remove Softwareit hangs on Searching Packages.

Any ideas how to fix? I've tried sudo apt-get update after restoring "jessie" from "stretch".

Thanks!

Return to “Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Raspomh, Sleep Mode zZ and 30 guests