elatllat

Samsung_ML-1865

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:48 am

looking for a way to get a Samsung_ML-1865 working with rpi.

cups has no driver for this printer, trying drivers close in numbers (1750,1910) results in the printer printing a page saying

Code: Select all

INTERNAL ERROR - Please use proper driver.
POSITION : 0x0 (0)
SYSTEM : h6fw_5.49/x1_op
LINE : 180
VERSION : SPL 5.4.9 10-20-2010
The "UnifiedLinuxDriver_0.98.tar.gz" from samsung lacks arm support:

sh ./cdroot/Linux/install.sh 
ERROR: Unsuppored hardware platform "armv6l", execution aborted
And trying to use PPDs(ML-1860spl.ppd, ML-1865wspl.ppd) from that archive result in:

lpstat -p -d
printer Samsung_ML-1865 is idle.  enabled since Sat 25 Aug 2012 22:25:43 EDT
	File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl" not available: No such file or directory
system default destination: Samsung_ML-1865

find . -iname rastertosamsungspl
./cdroot/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl
./cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl

file ./cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl
./cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped
rastertosamsungspl is clearly architecture dependant.
my options (in order of increasing difficulty):
0) give up
1) ask samsung to compile a version for arm
2) try every driver
3) x86 emulator for arm http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 62&t=10635
4) reverse engineer a ppd
5) disassemble/decompile and rebuild for arm

None of these options seem any good so let me know if you have a woking solution.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

Dweeber

Re: Samsung_ML-1865

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 am

elatllat wrote: my options (in order of increasing difficulty):
0) give up
1) ask samsung to compile a version for arm
2) try every driver
3) x86 emulator for arm http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 62&t=10635
4) reverse engineer a ppd
5) disassemble/decompile and rebuild for arm

None of these options seem any good so let me know if you have a woking solution.
you are missing one...

6) Obtain a printer that has Arm based drivers

The problem is that most consumer printers are x86 based for drivers. So you can only use a printer directly that has ARM based drivers available for it.

I've seen some postings that seem to represent that some HP printers can be used on ARM based linux servers but after spending some time looking, I've not yet found one.

Not having really used Cups, it might be that you can setup a raw driver on the RPi and have it forward the print jobs to a intel based server that has the proper drivers ???
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

elatllat

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Dweeber wrote:...Obtain a printer that has Arm based drivers...
That would be option "0) give up" along with getting a x86 computer to do it.
Dweeber wrote:...forward the print jobs to a intel based server that has the proper drivers...
now that sounds like another option.

I think I'm most interested in the emulation solution, as wine can get linux users out of a bind, I'm hoping Qemu can get arm users out of a bind.

I'm not sure how to wrap the call though, maybe something like this:

/usr/bin/qemu-i386 -cpu 486 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl [email protected]
would that auto emulate linked objects or return and otherwise behave?
or maybe i would have to convert or compile something.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

ulrith

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi!

I've just installed Samsung printer on my SheevaPlug ARM device.
I used this post
http://kb.haeringer.org/share-usb-print ... /#more-171
which advices just ignore cups errors like this:
- Download the Unified Linux Driver from the Samsung Website
- Extract the file “rastertosamsungspl” and copy it into the server directory /usr/lib/cups/filter/
- Extract the file /cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-191xspl2.ppd from the archive
- Plug the printer in; Debian should recognize it connected via USB
- Access the CUPS interface with your browser at 192.168.178.100:631
- Use the “Add Printer” button in the Administration tab, choose the printer and follow the instructions. When you are asked for a username and password, enter your system login username and password or the “root” username and password.
- When it comes to choosing the driver, provide the *.ppd file you have extracted above
- If the printer installation was successful, don’t try to print a test page in CUPS; it won’t work as the drivers are not fully installed because of the missing “rastertosamsung”-files
- In the Administration tab, check “share printers connected to this system”
I have used i386 version of rastertosamsung file on my ARM Sheevaplug.

I can confirm that in spite of error message when trying to print test page on ARM device, I can connect to the printer from the network and print.

I hope this helps.

Zurgur

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 am

After some struggle I finally managed to get my ML-1860 working.

The trick was to add it as a raw queue (model: raw via the cups web interface) and then having the clients manage the drivers. (Successfully printed from OS X and XP)

I had to use the CUPS interface on OS X to add the printer (http://localhost:631, Discovered Network Printers: Samsung ML-1860 Series @ raspbmc) since I got some errors using the Print&Scan pref pane.

The only catch is that I can not print directly from the Raspberry Pi which is fine

dpavlin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm

FWIW, there is package called splix which is cups rasterizer for Samsung laser printers. While I don't have ML-1865, I did try it on ML-2150, so if you don't want to install drivers on client machines, give splix a try :-)

jlucasnc

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Zurgur wrote:After some struggle I finally managed to get my ML-1860 working.

The trick was to add it as a raw queue (model: raw via the cups web interface) and then having the clients manage the drivers. (Successfully printed from OS X and XP)

I had to use the CUPS interface on OS X to add the printer (http://localhost:631, Discovered Network Printers: Samsung ML-1860 Series @ raspbmc) since I got some errors using the Print&Scan pref pane.

The only catch is that I can not print directly from the Raspberry Pi which is fine
Zurgur, I want buy a Raspberry Pi to print in ML-1860 from others PCs of my network. I want share my Samsung ML-1860 basically. Is it possible create a print server with Raspberry Pi? How? Can you help me?

Thanks. :)

Zurgur

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:54 pm

@jlucasnc
It is entirely possible serve the ML-1860. As I mentioned in my previous post I did not manage to install the driver on the pi but if the drivers are available for the other computers on your network that is not a problem.

You will probably lose some insight like the toner status.

Follow any tutorial explaining how to share a printer using cups (e.g. http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/printing-cups) but when you select a Model during the "Add printer" phase select raw queue.

On your networked computers you will need to select the correct driver during setup and you should be good to go.

kevinthefixer

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 am

dpavlin wrote:FWIW, there is package called splix which is cups rasterizer for Samsung laser printers. While I don't have ML-1865, I did try it on ML-2150, so if you don't want to install drivers on client machines, give splix a try :-)
Unfortunately the splix package does not have the rastertosamsungspl file necessary to make these machines print directly from the RPi. I tried taking the file from another Linux installation and manually installing it in /usr/lib/cups/filters/ but CUPS reports that it fails. I THINK this is because the filter is written for ix86 architecture rather than armhf. The .ppd file appears to be arch-independent but...

Does anyone know where to get (or how to make) the rastertosamsungspl filter for armhf, or even specifically for the Raspberry Pi? I would very much like to get my ML2165W working directly with the RPi. Thanks!

trilader

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:38 pm

I managed to install the latest version of the Samsung unified driver (1.00.06) which contains the necessary files for ARM on my Raspberry Pi and it works great.

I had to modify the packet.sh file in the noarch folder to get it to install though:
  • Edit line 59

elif [ "$ARCH" = "arm" ]; then
    to

elif [ "$ARCH" = "arm" -o "$ARCH" = "armv6l" ]; then
  • Comment out lines 492 to 494 which say:

if [ "$HARDWARE_PLATFORM" != "$ARCH_32" -a "$HARDWARE_PLATFORM" != "$ARCH_64" ]; then
        abort_execution "Unsuppored hardware platform \"$HARDWARE_PLATFORM\""
    fi
I hope someone finds this useful.

kevinthefixer

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Trilader,
did you get the driver from Samsung's. site? Also, earlier versions used to break CUPS, is that the case here? I suppose I could do without CUPS if it came to that. Thanks!

trilader

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

I tested it on ArchLinuxARM, the 1.00.06 version works just fine.
Right now I am trying to get it to work on Raspbian Wheezy but I had no luck with it so far, I think it might have to do with the CUPS version: Raspbian uses version 1.5.3 whereas Arch uses 1.6.3

I downloaded the driver from Samsungs site from http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... -2165W/XAC to be exact. It is not the page of the product I own but they only have one universal driver and they don't offer the download for every model.

Regards,
trilader

kevinthefixer

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Trilader,
it is the product I have, for whatever that's worth. I hope to use it on Raspbian. There is a new version of Raspbian out, I wonder if it uses the newer CUPS? It should be in the repositories if so but I don't have access to my Pi right now.

trilader

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:46 am

The version I used is the one from the 25th from the raspberrypi.org website.
As far as I know that's the latest version available.

The good thing is that my problem on Raspbian is a generic CUPS problem, not an architectural one.

kevinthefixer

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:15 pm

After downloading & unzipping the Samsung file, I got to poking around in it. The required filter now carries a different name (rastertospl rather than rastertosamsung.spl). I might have time to play with it next weekend, but I'm thinking of renaming the filter and possibly applying the code fixes. Right now I have to do stuff that people will pay me to do...

webguy

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm running Raspbian but have had little luck getting this to work.
I tried two different approaches, trilader's fix:
-Install CUPS
- Download the Samsung universal driver
- Change the parameters
- use install.sh, patch.sh, install-printer.sh
But none of them seem to work or do anything at all (no errors, etc)

and then kevinthefixer's approach (and my own modified version)
ii)
- Copy the rastertospl and rastertosplc from the driver (either ARM or i386)
- Use the PPD file in the driver
- Install the printer with the PPD
- Get an error that rastertospl failed when you print (even with the ARM version in the latest driver)
ii)
- Now change it to a raw queue and have the Samsung Universal driver installed on my desktop
- Now I can print to it, but get a variety of error messages printed out - "Incomplete Session by timeout" and "Including corrupted data"
Any ideas on how I can make either approach work?

trilader

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:21 pm

webguy, what is your CUPS version?
I am using version 1.6.3 and it is working fine. I also tested the raw queue on version 1.5.3 which is included in Raspbian and it worked for me.

webguy

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 am

Sorry for the delay, using 1.5.3 on Raspbian. On my laptop using Ubuntu 13.04 with the repo here http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ (which isn't the latest version from the Samsung site, that was released a few days ago). Any differences/ideas/hints?

trilader

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 am

webguy wrote:Sorry for the delay, using 1.5.3 on Raspbian. On my laptop using Ubuntu 13.04 with the repo here http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ (which isn't the latest version from the Samsung site, that was released a few days ago). Any differences/ideas/hints?
I don't know about the exact differences between the driver version from the repository you posted and the download from the Samsung website.

If you have a spare sd card I would recommend trying Arch Linux ARM as it works for me and has a newer version of cups.

NoProblems

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:13 am

I too am having problems with the install scripts that come with the samsung driver. I am running raspian. I downloaded 1.00.06 from the samsung site. When I run the install.sh script, nothing happens - there is no output from the script. I don't discount the possibility that I may be doing something silly. Any suggestions?

kevinthefixer

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Did you sudo install.sh? What was the terminal output, or did you run it from terminal?

trilader

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:05 pm

First I did

sudo -i
to get a root shell and then I did

bash ./install.sh
to install it.

webguy

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Had the same problem. Do the scripts perhaps require a running GUI? I'm doing this over SSH...

trilader

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:44 pm

I have no idea if they require a GUI. I don't have X installed on my Pi and did the install over ssh as well. The only differences I can think of are that I use Arch and you use Raspbian, right?

I tried installing the drivers on Raspbian and it worked over ssh as well.

NoProblems

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I am also working over ssh as I don't have a monitor hooked up. I have tried running with sudo and running from a root shell. I've tried with calling bash explicitly. I get no output at all. The script runs (or something) and then I get the prompt again on the very next line.

Return to “Troubleshooting”