birv2
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

RealVNC and Minecraft

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Hello Pi people,

I'm working in setting up a classroom of Raspberry Pi's for the first time. I'm using iMacs in my lab, though through bootcamp I'm usually running Win7 on them. Through a lot of trial and error (lots of error!), I've got RealVNC working so that I can use my regular computers with the Pi's. All good.

Next I wanted to get Minecraft running. Tech support at RealVNC has been helpful, and I have successfully gotten their alpha version running so that Minecraft displays correctly on my iMacs. However, it's so laggy that I'm mighty tempted to not use this for MinecraftPi but instead run it off Windows, which is what I did last year. FYI, when I ran the non-alpha version of RVNC, there was no lag (though Minecraft didn't display).

Just curious if anyone has encountered this and any solutions they might have.

TIA,
Bob Irving
Porter-Gaud School
Charleston, SC

RAZERZ

Re: RealVNC and Minecraft

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Have you got the opengl drivers on? Just curious.
Raspberry pi 3 set up as desktop with raspbian.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

birv2

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, Razerz. I haven't done anything with OpenGL. A quick google found me one post that said it didn't work with a vnc solution, but it's worth a try....

I'm using Jessie through Win7....

Thanks again,
Bob

birv2

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Well, that was a mistake. RealVNC Viewer couldn't connect any more to the Pi. Time for the rebuild!

RAZERZ

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:27 pm

birv2 wrote:Well, that was a mistake. RealVNC Viewer couldn't connect any more to the Pi. Time for the rebuild!
Hmm, using vncviewer opengl works but I dont know if it works with minecraft on it. Also any config.txt cionfiguration works aswell and it wont affect resolution.
Raspberry pi 3 set up as desktop with raspbian.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:29 pm

The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

DorsaiFeydakin

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:20 pm

School networks and bukkit servers for Pi version of Minecraft won't run because Minecraft Pi version requires the hardware on an actual Raspberry Pi. Is there a work around for this or a more relevant thread?

birv2

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Yup, been to both of these pages and done what they said, thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”