renegaderyu

Re: Getting Brother-Printer drivers to work

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 pm

derPhil wrote:Hi all,

while trying to use my Brother DCP-7055 with PI as a printing server w/ cups, I stumbled over this thread and it helped me to understand my problem (drivers not working due to the different architectures). On http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... prn.html#5 I found that most Brother laser printers should work with the HL-1250 ppd and it works like a charm!

I hope I spare somebody else the time I've spent with searching the net :)

Cheers,
Phil
Awesome, the HL-1250 totally worked for my MFC-7860DW!

I am using the following printer config in CUPS for those that are interested:
Driver: Brother HL-1250 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection: socket://<ip_address>:9100

PacoBell

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Just wanted to give my feedback w.r.t. my Brother MFC-9560CDW. After banging my head unsuccessfully trying to find the lpr driver source for it, I decided to go the route derPhil and renegaderyu took and try a similar driver. Lo and behold, the Brother MFC-9500 Foomatic/ljet2p driver could at least print at 300 DPI! So there's a start, I suppose. Now to find a driver that supports the maximum 2400 x 600 DPI. SANE support would be a nice added bonus.

Follow-up: I swapped out the above driver for the Brother MFC-9840CDW BR-Script3 (color, 2-sided printing) PPD on openprinting.org and, by Jove, it prints in 600 DPI...in COLOR! However, the print took a small eternity of processing to actually get to dirty page status, so that's fair warning for anyone else who'd like to follow in my footsteps. Not bad for a 5W gadget!

https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Br ... MFC9840CDW

Mikey99

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the tip.

Now finally have Brother MFC 7820n working with the above driver described:
Brother HL-1250 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Socket://ipaddress:9100

Seems ok @ 600x600 DPI

hrts

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 am

Hi all,

Please have a look here: https://www.openprinting.org/printers/m ... r/Brother/ to get an information about your printer.

Example1: HL-2040 has an driver listed there so it should work with CUPS.
Example 2: DCP540CN is listed as Paperweight. So you might forget about it.

The above site gives you the driver for CUPS, LPD, no spooler, etc.
It also provides the PPD to be downloaded (And later to be provided to your CUPS machine).

Best,
H.

VipeRsan

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:00 pm

With new kernel 3.12 with enabled FIQ/FSM flags in cmdline:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7
I'm able to skan 600dpi in color on HP M1005 MFP. Before on kernel 3.10 I can scan only 300 dpi (higher dpi works but with pausing and results was bad). 1200 dpi causing RPI to hangs :( Probably it's caused by low memory (RPI rev.B ver.1 - 256MB).

raspberrypihmmm

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to dig up that old post, but I found a solution that allows one to use the Rpi as a print server, without having to install the drivers on the Pi itself, thus bypassing the issue of the drivers not being available on ARM for Brther printers :

http://trac.mutetella.org/wiki/wiki/lin ... t%20server

Hope it helps !

tyson.velocity

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Hey everyone,

I just got a brother ql-700 label printer and installed cupswrapper on the pi.
when i send any job it initially processes it and then its completed though there is no print or any hardware movement.
please help me.
have tried almost all the solution for it on the web.

Thanks

krzyc

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 am

Installation of official Brother drivers on RPi is possible, but requires qemu-i386.
Get root.
First install cups and a2ps.
Follow steps from https://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation:

apt-get install qemu binfmt-support qemu-user-static
update-binfmts --display
dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.13-38+deb7u8_i386.deb
dpkg -i libc6_2.13-38+deb7u8_i386.deb
EXTRA_OPTS="-L /lib/i386-linux-gnu"
Line EXTRA_OPTS="-L /lib/i386-linux-gnu" should be executed on every reboot.
And for my printer DCP-560CN:

mkdir -p /var/spool/lpd/dcp560cn
dpkg  -i  --force-all dcp560cnlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
dpkg  -i  --force-all dcp560cncupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
To correct margins for A4 paper I have to execute:

brprintconf_dcp560cn -pt A4
Now it works for me.

Foxinou

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi there !

Not working for me. tried to install a 7u7 version
Tried multiple things...

Here is my ouput of dpkg.

Can you show us your dpkg -l output ?

Thanks

[email protected] ~ $ dpkg -l|grep libc6
iF  libc6:armhf                           2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u7                     armhf        Embedded GNU C Library: Shared libraries
iU  libc6:i386                            2.13-38+deb7u8                          i386         Embedded GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libc6-dev:armhf                       2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u7                     armhf        Embedded GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files

Freibeuter

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:19 pm

krzyc wrote:

[code]
[/quote]
Also don´t manage to get libc6:i386 working on the RPi. Also tried using apt with added debian sources for i386 in sources.list.
Anyone got a solution for installing libc6:i386 on Raspbian?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Freibeuter wrote:
krzyc wrote:

[code]
[/quote]
Also don´t manage to get libc6:i386 working on the RPi. Also tried using apt with added debian sources for i386 in sources.list.
Anyone got a solution for installing libc6:i386 on Raspbian?[/quote]
The RPi has an ARM CPU not an x86 CPU

Therefore x86, i386, i486 etcetera can not be used, you must use multi-arch or ARM compatible
Retired disgracefully.....

Freibeuter

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:40 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: Therefore x86, i386, i486 etcetera can not be used, you must use multi-arch or ARM compatible
Should have mentioned before - I am using qemu-i386 on the Pi. With apt it gets a lot of errors, for libc6:

libc6 : Breaks: libc6:i386 (!= 2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u8) but 2.19-18 is to be installed
 libc6:i386 : Depends: libgcc1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
              Breaks: libc6 (!= 2.19-18) but 2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u8 is to be installed
And installing the manual way as krzyc did using dpkg gives me

Unpacking libc6:i386 (from libc6_2.13-38+deb7u8_i386.deb) ...
De-configuring libc6:armhf ...
dpkg: error processing libc6:i386 (--install):
 package libc6:i386 2.13-38+deb7u8 cannot be configured because libc6:armhf is at a differe
nt version (2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u8)
dpkg: error processing libc6:armhf (--install):
 package libc6:armhf 2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u8 cannot be configured because libc6:i386 is at a di
fferent version (2.13-38+deb7u8)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libc6:i386
 libc6:armhf
Anyone knows what´s the problem here?
Thanks!

williamhbell

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:22 am

Hi,

Some more investigation concerning a Brother MFCJ5320DW is given at:
http://superuser.com/questions/990350/d ... -with-cups

The bottom line is that parts of the driver are closed source and Brother have no plans to either build this driver for ARM or allow the Linux community to recompile it for them :( . There appear to be two solutions: (1) buy an i386 compatible PC to act as a CUPS print server and then configure the Pi CUPS server to use the i386 server as a cups backend or (2) reverse engineer the closed source part of the print server. Given the lack of an entry at http://www.openprinting.org/printers probably no one else has reverse engineered this one yet. Using a remote configuration on an i386 PC works as hoped, but is annoying unless the use case is a classroom filled with Raspberry Pis or a large cluster of them.

Best regards,

Will

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:00 pm

You forgot the third option. Vote with your feet, don't buy Brother because they don't support open source systems. Choose Epson or HP or Apple or ... or any other manufacturer that does commit to open source systems. Pick a printer that's listed with a CUPS driver.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jojopi

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:18 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Vote with your feet, don't buy Brother because they don't support open source systems. Choose Epson or HP or Apple or ... or any other manufacturer that does commit to open source systems. Pick a printer that's listed with a CUPS driver.
I would put that differently. Do not buy a consumer-grade printer.

Printers aimed at home users typically connect by USB, and often have very low processing power in the printer itself, meaning that much of the intelligence is in the proprietary driver. You always require the manufacturer to make a driver that works with your operating system. Once the printer model is discontinued, even support for future versions of the same OS is not guaranteed. If you want to print from multiple machines you have to set one of them up as a print server, because USB is single-host.

Printers intended for office use have Ethernet, and a built-in print server. They accept jobs via the network protocols IPP or JetDirect, and page descriptions using PostScript or PCL. These things are so standard that you do not need a printer driver, just a PPD file to identify the printer's capabilities such as its paper tray configuration and resolution.

Office printers are more expensive to purchase than consumer ones, but generally have significantly lower consumable costs. Some home-user printers are cheap to buy only because they come fitted with trial-size cartridges.

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Hey,

i found this on github:

https://github.com/winterheart/brother-drivers

But i just dont get it if these are drivers for x86 or ARM Architecture, or if this is useful material to built ARM-drivers...

Can anyone tell?

I am trying to install Brother MFC-J615W on my RasPi 2.

cheers,
tommy

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:48 pm

tommygoessing wrote:Hey,

i found this on github:

https://github.com/winterheart/brother-drivers

But i just dont get it if these are drivers for x86 or ARM Architecture, or if this is useful material to built ARM-drivers...

Can anyone tell?

I am trying to install Brother MFC-J615W on my RasPi 2.

cheers,
tommy
Considering the web page you linked to is 4 years old, would be doubtful they will support ARMHFArchitecture, as was stated in the other post you posted, Brother do not seem willing to Support

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=54781

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Well Brother does not provide or support, thats true and I understood.

But this is why I was thinking somebody on github might have created the necessary drivers himself...

Is beeing 4 years old realy an argument against beeing meant form ARM architecture? Pi 1 was around 4 years ago, wasn't it?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:33 pm

tommygoessing wrote:Well Brother does not provide or support, thats true and I understood.

But this is why I was thinking somebody on github might have created the necessary drivers himself...

Is beeing 4 years old realy an argument against beeing meant form ARM architecture? Pi 1 was around 4 years ago, wasn't it?
Not until February 2016 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Anyway your questioned was answered in other posts, github link x86 :shock:

tommygoessing

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:35 pm

mmh, your are right...

thank you anyways.

cheers,
tommy

piiteri

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:29 pm

I have a Brother DCP-1510. To get printing to work via cups all I had to do was to generate/download the "HL-1250" ( go here: http://www.openprinting.org/driver/hl1250/ ) and supply that PPD to cups when selecting the driver. In no time it had a test page printed after that...

gnoack

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks to krzyk and Freibeuter's pointers, I managed to get the DCP195C printer working on the Raspberry Pi with qemu.

I posted a longer explanation here:
http://superuser.com/questions/781454/d ... -with-cups

In addition to what was mentioned above, I am describing there:
* how to get multiarch running on Raspbian (how to register in sources.list, getting rid of the ld.so.preload error message)
* how to make the Raspberry Pi send the printer data fast enough so the printer doesn't make funny noises (using the sponge tool)

vlaznev

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:01 pm

I have found simple and stupid solution of my problem with Brother HL-1110R on raspberry pi (taken from https://www.novell.com/documentation/su ... 05s08.html):
I have a Brother HL-1110R and I want to use it over wi-fi from my win8 notebook (with printer driver installer). So I have connected it to Raspberry Pi USB port and append to /etc/inetd.conf following line:

9100 stream tcp nowait pi /bin/dd dd of=/dev/usb/lp0
then restart inetd.
On my win8 notebook I have created a new local printer on standard TCP/IP port, entered raspberry`s IP. When windows asked me what kind of device is on that port I specified the "Other" option and set protocol to Raw and port to 9100 (default). After that I have selected Brother printer driver and that was it!
It just works!
I think there could be problems when printing simultaneously from multiple clients (notebooks), but its not my case.
Hope that helps.

RossDv8

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm

The suggestions I have seen that work all rely on CUPS using available drivers in the open source list. And as far as I can see they are all Laser Printers.
Many of us have Brother Inkjets, and I cannot find any available drivers for Brother 'MFC-JnnnnDW' series inkjets in CUPS.

I have 2 x MFC-J6510DW and 1 x MFC-J6520DW that I print to form the Raspberry Pi. These are A3 format printers. So far I have only printed to them ini A4 size. But although it is not a very elegant solution, it works.

It works best with the Pi 3, but will work with other raspberry Pi's as long as you can send a file to an Android device. from there, Android has the ability to print to a Brother printer.

If you don't have a network, it is possible to make an ah-hoc network between the an Android device and the Brother printer, but it is not as simple as it might seem. Easiest is Bluetooth between Pi and Android, then Android to Printer over a WiFi network.

See the post here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=54781&start=25
Pi 4B 4GB - system on WD 240G SSD ( but /boot on Sandisk microSD)

spacepie

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:58 am

Just thought I'd mention the way I fixed this issue at home:

After installing CUPS, setup your printer as a "Raw" printer.

Then install the Brother software drivers on any Windows / Mac clients you may have.

Specify the printer path (http://<IP Address>/printers/<Printer Name>:631

And voila! Full-featured printing :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”