weedfan

Unable to install NOOBS or Raspbian

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:39 am

jus got the pi 3. nothing but problems. first i get the error formating setings partition message. so started over this time partitioned the micro sd card n installed noobs. i thot i was in pi boots up n shows option to install raspian so i clik it n got another message, partitions.json invalid. start over again, was told install raspbian directly without noobs lol the pi never booted up. so i tried again reformat the card instaled noobs without partitioning i thot i had it this time cuz i look at the lights on the pi n the green light blinks continuosly non stop which it never dun before. but i look up at my screen(projector hdmi) n no picture. i did get that rainbow thing indicating not enough power not sure wen throughout all this

fruitoftheloom

Re: cant figure this out

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:30 pm

weedfan wrote:jus got the pi 3. nothing but problems. first i get the error formating setings partition message. so started over this time partitioned the micro sd card n installed noobs. i thot i was in pi boots up n shows option to install raspian so i clik it n got another message, partitions.json invalid. start over again, was told install raspbian directly without noobs lol the pi never booted up. so i tried again reformat the card instaled noobs without partitioning i thot i had it this time cuz i look at the lights on the pi n the green light blinks continuosly non stop which it never dun before. but i look up at my screen(projector hdmi) n no picture. i did get that rainbow thing indicating not enough power not sure wen throughout all this
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

davidcoton

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Green LED indicates SDCard access, so you are reading that. Red light indicates power, it should be on. If not, or if you see a small rainbow square in the corner of the screen (not the large central rainbow splash screen), the voltage is low. What PSU are you using (recommended is 5.1V 2.5A)? What USB power cable? Short and fat is good -- long and/or thin cables will loose volts.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

weedfan

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:02 pm

helo ther thanx for the replies. yes i got the big rainbow picture in the middle so i guess im good on power. im using a 5v 2.5a adapter at least thats wat it says. but anyways i did start over this time using my laptop/win10 desktop was a vista. man i thot i had it lol so close then got another error message, "error writing downloaded file to sd card or file sytem may b damaged" seriously? do i need a new micro sd card? alredy ordered lol

mfa298

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:52 am

weedfan wrote:helo ther thanx for the replies. yes i got the big rainbow picture in the middle so i guess im good on power. im using a 5v 2.5a adapter at least thats wat it says. but anyways i did start over this time using my laptop/win10 desktop was a vista. man i thot i had it lol so close then got another error message, "error writing downloaded file to sd card or file sytem may b damaged" seriously? do i need a new micro sd card? alredy ordered lol
Depending on what SD card you got and where you got it from you could have got something thats not really suitable for the pi or was a fake. Always get a decent well known brand from a trusted supplier. You'll also want one that's at least 8GB (and it might be wise to get a 16 or 32 GB).

I've been using the Sandisk Ultra microSD cards, others recommend the Samsung Evo+, I'm sure there are a few other good brands out there as well. If you get the cheapest import possible prepare to pay for that with frustration getting it to work and dealing with problems.

RAZERZ

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 am

weedfan wrote:helo ther thanx for the replies. yes i got the big rainbow picture in the middle so i guess im good on power. im using a 5v 2.5a adapter at least thats wat it says. but anyways i did start over this time using my laptop/win10 desktop was a vista. man i thot i had it lol so close then got another error message, "error writing downloaded file to sd card or file sytem may b damaged" seriously? do i need a new micro sd card? alredy ordered lol
Just as mfa298 said, also did you format your sdcard properly? Insert it into your windows pc and click "my computer", you should see your sdcard there. Right click it and click format and choose "FAT32". Then when that is done you just open "win32diskimager" and write to the sdcard. This will take a while so be patient. When that is done it is basically plug n play, put the sdcard in the pi and start it. :D
Raspberry pi 3 set up as desktop with raspbian.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

B.Goode

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 am

RAZERZ wrote:did you format your sdcard properly? Insert it into your windows pc and click "my computer", you should see your sdcard there. Right click it and click format and choose "FAT32". Then when that is done you just open "win32diskimager" and write to the sdcard.
Formatting a card prior to writing an image with Win32DiskImager is redundant. Win32DiskImager ignores all previous content, including formatting and partitioning. So formatting the card won't do any harm, but it won't help...

RAZERZ

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:35 am

B.Goode wrote:
RAZERZ wrote:did you format your sdcard properly? Insert it into your windows pc and click "my computer", you should see your sdcard there. Right click it and click format and choose "FAT32". Then when that is done you just open "win32diskimager" and write to the sdcard.
Formatting a card prior to writing an image with Win32DiskImager is redundant. Win32DiskImager ignores all previous content, including formatting and partitioning. So formatting the card won't do any harm, but it won't help...
There was this guy who saw that everything was the same when he reflashed the image, that happend because he didn't format (acording to the answer) so I went from there.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

mfa298

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:03 pm

RAZERZ wrote:
B.Goode wrote:
There was this guy who saw that everything was the same when he reflashed the image, that happend because he didn't format (acording to the answer) so I went from there.
As B.Goode said, a format like that isn't going to help, windows format just initializes the stuff on the partition to make it the selected filesystem, writing the image with win32diskimager will overwrite that partition table and any stuff the windows format just did making it a redundant step. If you're installing NOOBs then there might be a need to format like that, but then I don't think you use win32diskimager.

That said, if the SD card has become corrupted then there might be a need to use a tool that does a lower level format on the SD card. This isn't something that's part of windows though so needs to be installed separately.

drgeoff

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:14 pm

RAZERZ wrote:There was this guy who saw that everything was the same when he reflashed the image, that happend because he didn't format (acording to the answer) so I went from there.
If you are referring to
viewtopic.php?p=1013043#p1013043 and mahjongg's answer, you should read the rest of the thread especially viewtopic.php?p=1013470#p1013470
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

RAZERZ

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 pm

drgeoff wrote:
RAZERZ wrote:There was this guy who saw that everything was the same when he reflashed the image, that happend because he didn't format (acording to the answer) so I went from there.
If you are referring to
viewtopic.php?p=1013043#p1013043 and mahjongg's answer, you should read the rest of the thread especially viewtopic.php?p=1013470#p1013470
Yes! Sorry, I usually put sources.

drgeoff

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 pm

RAZERZ wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
If you are referring to
Yes! Sorry, I usually put sources.
It was not the lack of sources that prompted me to post. Your answer was wrong. It wasn't based on fact.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Troubleshooting”