gtho

SD card copier problem

Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:58 am

I have been using the new "SD card copier" command to create backups on a rpi 2b and a rpi 3b, but I have problems on a second 2b.

I get an error "Could not create partitions" when the progress bar is at about 60%.

Before I started, the 32 GB card that I copied to (which should have more than enough space) contained a backup from the other rpi 2b created in the same way. I have also tried to reformat the card using SDFormatter with size adjustment on.

No luck so far.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to debug the SD card copier command? Is there a log?

RAZERZ

Re: SD card copier problem

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Why can't you insert the card to your computer and copy the contains of the sdcard?
Raspberry pi 3 set up as desktop with raspbian.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

gtho

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:11 am

Hi,

Thanks!

Did that, and the copier stops at 6% when copying the image to a hard disk, so there must be an error on the source card.

I am operating the raspi remotely, so it would be better if the SD card copier or some log would have told me that.

Is there a way for the raspi to self test the source card when it is running?

RAZERZ

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:07 am

I have a fear that your backup sdcard might be corrupt. If you have an android phone, put the sdcard in there and format it there, then put it in your PC and format it there and redo the SD card copy. If you have any error please post them here :D
Raspberry pi 3 set up as desktop with raspbian.
I guess you can say I am not newbie with linux but I am not a master at it either.
I will always try to help you as much as I can because I know how hard it is to run into problems :D

gtho

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:04 am

Hi,

Tried what you described. The closest I came to Format on my Android devices was what they call Erase, I assume that does a quick format of the card. Then used SDFormater on Windows.

I get exactly the same error as described above. When preparing partitions, the progres bar makes three "steps", to about 60%, and immediately says "Could not create partitions."

I also tested with another card.

I see no alternative to creating a new main card for the raspi and try to copy that.

gtho

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:39 am

For the record. Configuration of a new main sd card on the raspi, as the source for copying, solved the problem.

hhoanganh

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:26 am

What do you mean "Configuration of a new main sd card on the raspi, as the source for copying" ?

gtho

Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:29 pm

I mean that I installed NOOBS on a new card as the main card for the raspi, and did all the configutation needed to make the raspi work as before. (I guess I could also have just reformatted the old one.)

Return to “Troubleshooting”