netwtek

No HDMI to HDTV, but DVI works on monitor

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 am

I just received my new Raspberry Pi, and tried to get the HDMI to work on two different HDTVs with no luck. Both HDTVs display no signal, and I have tried different HDMI ports and two new cables on both. The composite works and what is odd, if I use a HDMI to DVI adapter, it will work on my DVI monitor. I edited the start.txt file and added the following:

config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Still no HDMI. ( I am running Debian wheezy.)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: No HDMI to HDTV, but DVI works on monitor

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:20 am

Try
hdmi_safe=1

netwtek

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 pm

I tried the hdmi_safe=1, but still have the same issue. I have to assume the HDMI port is good; otherwise, the DVI would not work.

MaxK1

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Surely you meant "config.txt"? ;-)

MaxK1

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 am

A couple of other things to check:
HDMI connector - is it fully seated? Both ends? No sideways play in the connector?

Really long HDMI cable? Boosting it a bit more might help. Try 7 and work down from there.

(config_hdmi_boost=7)

Does it boot up with composite output even though the HDMI cable is inserted?
I would suspect the cables/connectors first, but try: (from http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt)

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a list of other bits to set/clear for other fine(!), oriental displays.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

netwtek

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 pm

HDMI cable is fully seated. I tried two other computers with HDMI output on both (new) cables, and they worked perfectly on both HDTVs. One of the HDMI cables is about 5" and the other about 3'. I also had tried the config_hdmi_boost=7 in the config.txt file, but still no HDMI.

I am assuming the Raspberry Pi is detecting the HDMI signal from the HDTV because it will not output composite when booted with the HDMI connected. If I disconnect the HDMI, and reboot I get a composite output.

I tried the hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080, but again no HDMI. I have tried other suggestions such as hdmi_drive=2 and hdmi_mode=16 with no luck. I have not tried renaming the config.txt, and basically boot without file as someone else suggested. I think that might be my next (and last) attempt.

My original idea was to use it with a wireless keyboard/mouse so my wife could surf the Internet on our HDTV. I am about to give up, and use it as headless file server.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

MaxK1

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Hmm - At this point I guess I would be looking at a flaky HDMI connector on the Pi. Maybe one
of the HDMI guru's can suggest something else to try?

With the DVI monitor is the signal going through
Pi-> HDMI-DVI adapter-> DVI cable-> DVI monitor or
Pi-> HDMI cable-> HDMI-DVI adapter->DVI Monitor?

The Guru's are probably going to want this info

/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
/opt/vc/bin/edidparser edid.dat
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

RPIUser

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Inverse of your problem I found as follows.
I found HDMI worked to a Samsung TVOK.
HDMI to DVI (HP W22 monitor) would only work if I connect outer of the composite video connector to
mains ground pin.
Can you try grounding RPi as I did?

fredjam

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:58 am

I think it could be a HDMI cable problem. I had two apparently high quality HDMI
computer leads but they just would not work between my pi and my Sony tv. Tried
a cheap lead that I also had available and it worked first time. It seems that not all
HDMI leads work with the pi. I don't know why.

markos87

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm having the same issue...
I've changed different settings for hd_mode and all the others options just like you...but nothing..
I'm trying another HDMI cable..i hope it will work..!

bye

markos87

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes...i had the same problem... fixed using a different HDMI cable and enabling the config.txt hd option !

StokolaN

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Just to add. I had a similar problem where I was getting no video out from the HDMI while testing in work. I was using a HDMI cable that came with my PS3, tried on multiple screens and TV's, also used a DVI converter with no luck. The cable worked when using my laptop to the screens tho, so I was convinced it was something else

When I got home I tried the HDMI cable that came with my Xbox 360 which works perfect. It automatically switched on my TV but had no signal. Went to check for voltage and as soon as I put pressure on the board which cause the HDMI cable to push up in the connector I had picture. So thought I had a faulty HDMI connection.

I tired applying the same pressure on the first cable from my PS3 but still no picture.

But for the sake of it. I disconnected my Cable TV box and tried that HDMI cable as it would be the newest cable I have at only 1 year old and I had picture straight away.

So just because the cable works with something else it still might not be compatible with the raspberry pi

Just to add. I tired multiple variations in the config file and in the end I had set the following values.

config_hdmi_boost=7
hdmi_safe=1

Didn't try a default config as its late and i need sleep.

DM2RH

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 pm

I change to cd /boot and change in the config.txt the folling things:

config_hdmi_boost=7

but it didn't work

hdmi_safe=1
I get a picture but ist was not good.
Only:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
work with an HDMI to DVI Cabel.

Please use the "sudo vi /boot/config.txt"