RaspDD

USB Sound Card Users: do you have clear sound ?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I got my USB-Soundcard now, and got it working.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Externe-USB-6-Ka ... 6rk%3D1%26

The problem is, i cant get clear sound out of it. I get distortions. The more the pi is working, the more distortions i get. I am using SPDIF output.
i tried /boot/cmdline.txt to force the built-in usb hub to run in usb 1.0/1.1 mode
Code:
dwc_otg.speed=1
but then my rpi wont boot at all.

So, USB-Soundcard-Users, do you GOT clear sound, and, HOW do you got it?

rajil.s

Re: USB Sound Card Users: do you have clear sound ?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 pm

This sound looks interesting and cheap if you can make it to work. Is this based on C-Media chipset?

I have tried another C-media sound card, and was able to get distortion free audio using

Code: Select all

#cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.mmap0 {
    type mmap_emul;
    slave {
      pcm "hw:0";
    }
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug;
  slave {
    pcm mmap0;
  }
}

I want to use the line-in functionality of the sound card. Please could you check if alsamixer provides a mixer separately rather than combining with microphone.

Thanks

RaspDD

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 pm

gonna try your suggestion tommorow, thanks anyway. its a cm-106 chipset btw.
your question - how can i check if theres a seperated mixer (if i understood you correct).

RaspDD

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 pm

your modification does only mute my sound output :(. Should there be something else in the conf. file or your code ONLY ?

RaspDD

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I must ask for help, again.
I got the card producing sound without distortion, but only with speaker check test.
XMBC and retroarch both dont play any sound.

How can i solve this? I searched for hours, now i give up.

How can i install libpulsecommon-2.0 on wheezy? I played around with pulseaudio,but this package is missing and i cant find it anywhere.

z3r0c00l

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi,

i bought an external 7.1 soundcard too (this one: http://www.amazon.de/LogiLink-Dolby-ext ... 069&sr=1-1). It also has the cm-106 chipset. Maybe I can explain why your sound is crappy in xbmc:

If I output sound in normal stereo mode, the sound is ok. But if I output the same sound on the front speakers in surround mode, the sound is totally crappy. Can it be that your speaker test was only running in stereo mode? XBMC will probably output sound in surround mode.

Unfortunately i didn't found a solution so far :-(. I wanted to use the 7.1 card as 4 independent stereo outputs for music, it works on my desktop pc with ubuntu 12.04 but with the same setup on the rpi the sound ist totally crappy. On the rpi I tried with raspbian, normal debian (soft-float) and archlinux for rpi, same results with all of them :-(

RaspDD

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:00 am

please tell me how you set up your soundcard. here is what i did chronological:
-plugin soundcard
-worked out of box
-heavy distortions
-yesterday i found the solution (an asound.conf modificatio, but not the one above, can post it later - i, think it sets the output systemwide to pcm only)
-effect: clear sound, perfect, but ONLY with speaker-test-program
-NOW i dont get ANY sound IN OTHER APPLICATIONS

-which options have you set in xbmc so that your xbmc uses the usb card?
-its clear to me that surround over spdif wont work, its the same for all usb cards and even hdmi splitters
-but please tell me how you got at least stereo working wthout distortions - chronological setup would be nice :)

z3r0c00l

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am

@RaspDD

Sorry, but I don't use XBMC on this rpi. I did basically the same:
-plugin soundcard
-driver loaded automatically
-used aplay to test sound card, worked with clear sound
- used aplay with -D surround71 --> crappy sound
- with speaker-test it's the same

Mhm, some new observations:
If I use another wav file for the stereo signal, it get's distorted as well. Besides, on debian with soft float I get running errors when I play sound:

delay: estimated 0, actual 133

plz, post your asound.conf fix :-)

RaspDD

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:32 am

Do you got clear sound out of box? Which distro? Which output? SPDIF?

My situation out-of-box was: I get distortion from SPDIF and 3.5 in the same way (the 3.5 of the USB audio). Parallel, my 3.5 of the rpi is working, and without distortion, as always.

"solution" 1: I got "clear" sound with speakertest TWO CHANNEL using this:

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}
BUT! Only in Speakertest. NO other app puts sound out. So i looked further and found:

"Solution" 2:
Now i get clear sound output with aplay too, with this conf file:

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "softvol"
}
pcm.dmixer {
       type dmix
       ipc_key 1024
       slave {
           pcm "hw:0"
           period_time 0
           period_size 4096
           buffer_size 131072
           rate 1
       }
       bindings {
           0 0
           1 1
       }
}
pcm.dsnooper {
       type dsnoop
       ipc_key 1024
       slave {
           pcm "hw:0"
           channels 2
           period_time 0
           period_size 4096
           buffer_size 131072
           rate 1
       }
       bindings {
           0 0
           1 1
       }
}
pcm.softvol {
       type softvol
       slave { pcm "dmixer" }
       control {
           name "Master"
           card 0
       }
}
ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.softvol {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.dmixer {
    type hw
    card 0
}
But this is, as you can see, also only 2 channel. I set the rate to just 1 because i found out the higher the rate is, the more distortions i get.

But its a little improvement for me, as i get undistorted sound for the first time.

=> BTW i think xbmc only works with usb-soundcard following this guide
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1052
(but not for me, on my distro it doesnt work, too)

z3r0c00l

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah, i got clear sound out of the box if I use stereo mode. Output is the 3.5mm jack labeled with front/2.1. Distro ist arch linux:

- install alsa utils: pacman -S alsa-utils
- aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav -> works nice, tried another stereo wav too, does work as expected
- aplay -D surround41 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav -> crappy sound

Maybe it's a problem with the buggy USB driver of the rpi. I also tried the latest firmware with no success.

z3r0c00l

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:42 am

It also works with debian whezzy (hard float and soft float), but you have to select the USB sound card, because debian initializes the internal alsa card as card 0:

- apt-get install alsa-utils
- ALSA_CARD=1 aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav -> works nice
- ALSA_CARD=1 aplay -D surround41 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav -> crappy sound

But I have no idea, howto go on from here :-(

RaspDD

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:22 pm

I am experimenting with raspbmc RC 4, and there, in xbmc, i got perfect surround sound over my usb soundcard.
before, i tried the tutorial i linked above on a wheezy 15.07.12 distro, there it didnt work.

=> In RC4, it WORKS a charm.

Iam now installing emulationstation and hope that this works without distortion, too :).

z3r0c00l

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:10 am

Did you use the USB workaround? I tried it, but it didn't boot properly (got stuck in a bootloop). Can you test if ALSA_CARD=1 aplay -D surround41 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav works?

RaspDD

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:04 pm

i got stuck in a bootloop too when i tried the usb-workaround at my wheezy distro (tried to get it working here first before switching to raspbmc)
Not tested in raspbmc yet cause there are no audio problems, besides a HEAVY async when playing video. Can correct this with the delayoption in xbmc, but the async gets heavier the longer the vid is.
all i all, VERY frustrating to get good audio quality out of the pi. And all ONLY because i wanted to save 50 bucks when i bought my receiver (he cant grab audio from HDMI :(((( )

z3r0c00l

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 pm

I tried raspbmc rc4 with the latest firmware, usb fix (dwc_otg.speed=1) results in not booting, hangs at the beginning. I'm wondering why this fix works for you. To sum up your results:

* raspbmc rc4 with dwc_otg.speed=1: nice surround sound
* raspbmc rc4 without dwc_otg.speed=1: crappy surround sound

Is this correct?

frigaut

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:36 am

Guys,

A million thanks! With dwc_otg.speed=1, I can at long last get undistorted sound out of my external sound blaster 5.1 surround card. I have spent hours trying to get rid of the constant popping and distortion and this did it for me. T'was very frustrating.
Thanks again.

z3r0c00l

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 am

Can you post your /boot/cmdline? Do you have a raspbmc rc4 running without any modifications?

kyelo

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:17 pm

@ RaspDD,

What does your aplay -l say?

jamieburchell

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 am

RaspDD

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, I registered here to send you a PM but was unable to.

I've been trying to get my C-Media CM106 USB sound card working in Raspbmc RC5 with the additional instructions you linked to. I cannot get this working without distorted sound using anything other than the stereo profile. I'd like to use 5.1 surround. I've tried the speed=1 fix.

I thought perhaps it was a power issue, but not if you have it working without a powered USB hub.

Any advice would help greatly, I'm really stuck on this.

Jamie

z3r0c00l

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:53 pm

@jamieburchell:

You are not alone :-/ but I gave up pretty much getting the C-Media CM106 USB to work with all audio channels.

jamieburchell

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:34 pm

I noticed slight distortion even in the stereo profile but managed to cure that by switching to a higher surround profile, then back to stereo when playing audio.

Frustrating! Wondering if there are any system.pa settings I can tweak.

Jamie

jamieburchell

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Tried with a simple 4 port powered hub and although the soundcard still worked, the distortion was also still present.

Got my hands on a Creative X-Fi 5.1 soundcard to try. I've actually had less luck with this, I'm just getting crackling noises when PulseAudio starts up.

Going to jump off a bridge!

jean.phelippe

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry for 'reviving' this old thread, but I am dealing with some noise and distortion while using a C-Media like USB Sound Card with the Raspberry Pi model B. Actually, it only happens when I use the surround51 PCM device, with 2 channels mode it works like a charm. However, I need to use 4 independent channels for a school's work.

I just want to know if this http://www.raspyfi.com/raspberry-pi-usb-audio-fix/ could help fix this problem or if you have some solution for it.
I'm also thinking about using the ALSA's multi plugin to make 2to1 device with both USB sound card (2ch - mode) and the original Raspberry Pi sound card (2ch) building one "4 channels device" (http://alsa.opensrc.org/TwoCardsAsOne), but I really want a simple solution for that because this noise is something that could be already fixed with some updates or something like that. If you know something about it, please, let me know it.

Thank you!

Jean

jamieburchell

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 pm

I used to have distortion with my C-Media CM106 device if I used more than 2 channels, but I'm happy to report I tried this recently again with the latest version of OpenELEC and no longer have this issue. Interesting to note that the Creative X-Fi I used never works without a lot of noise.

Return to “Troubleshooting”