anthemsley

Rubbish bin wasn't working, applied fix, Pi now won't boot

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi all. Having quite a few issues with my Raspi some of which I have fixed, others still unresolved (sound in Scratch for example). The latest this evening has been that the SD card appears to be full. It seemed a simple case of emptying the rubbish bin and freeing up some space. However, clicking on the rubbish bin icon gave an error message and so I ended up searching the forums and came across this http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 34#p130834

Entered this

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse
killall pcmanfm

Went back to the rubbish bin (noticed desktop ominously blank of any icons) and the files in the rubbish bin were showing. Attempted to empty the rubbish bin but got the same error message as before. At this point I thought that maybe a reboot was in order so unplugged the power, plugged it back in and it looked like everything was booting as normal. However, it never makes it back to the desktop (tried 4 reboots) and I've now just got a blinking cursor which doesn't respond to anything.

Any ideas?

fredjam

Re: Rubbish bin wasn't working, applied fix, Pi now won't bo

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 am

You will need to reload your SD card with the latest operating system and start again.
Don't enter commands in a terminal unless you understand them or trust the people
who have suggested them to you. There are some complete idiots who hang around
here and will give you bad advice.

jojopi

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:44 am

fredjam wrote:You will need to reload your SD card with the latest operating system and start again.
Not at all! Reloading can sometimes be easier than diagnosing and fixing a problem, especially if you do not know what you are doing. But it is virtually never the only solution, and your use of "need" here is quite wrong.

In this particular case likely the only problem is that the disk is full, as reported in the original post. That will indeed stop the GUI from launching at boot, giving a black screen with a flashing cursor. The solution is simply to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to a text console, login in text mode, free some disk space, and then reboot.

A good candidate for the disk space to free will be the contents of the malfunctioning rubbish bin. This can be emptied from the command line with "rm -r .local/share/Trash/". Be sure to type this carefully. Incidentally, it is advisable to reboot cleanly, with a command such as "sudo reboot", rather than simply pulling the power cable.
Don't enter commands in a terminal unless you understand them or trust the people
who have suggested them to you. There are some complete idiots who hang around
here and will give you bad advice.
Your implication is that the forum is full of commands so dangerous as to cause immediate data loss. That is not true. With the exception of your own advice to wipe a card at the first whiff of trouble, I do not recall seeing any suggestions so stupid that they lose data even when executed correctly. And any that are made are sure to be challenged by more knowledgeable users.

The commands quoted in the original post are indeed safe. It is hard to see how you could legitimately believe otherwise since all they do is install two packages from the standard repository and then restart the file manager.

The (temporary, until next login) issue that the desktop icons disappear is because the file manager restarts with different options. I had not previously noticed that. It could be avoided by changing the last command to "(killall pcmanfm; sleep 1; pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE &)".

anthemsley

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 am

Thank you jojopi, I will give that a try now and let you know how I get on.

anthemsley

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am

Brilliant! Worked perfectly, thank you :)

fredjam

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:17 pm

So someone posts a problem saying that their card seems to be full. Someone else then posts
a solution which involves installing 2 more packages on the full SD card without explaining that this
is what their solution will do. And we are asked to believe that this is legitimate and useful help.

jojopi

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:31 pm

fredjam wrote:So someone posts a problem saying that their card seems to be full. Someone else then posts
a solution which involves installing 2 more packages on the full SD card without explaining that this
is what their solution will do. And we are asked to believe that this is legitimate and useful help.
The referenced thread and suggestion was for the rubbish bin not working, not for the card being full. It would be silly to suggest installing packages per se to free space. But actually it is okay to install packages to a full disk. Usually it will work, because of reserved blocks, but the package manager will not destroy the system even if it does run out of space. The referenced thread also does include some information about the packages installed and what they relate to.

You are very welcome to make up your own mind about whether a solution is legitimate and useful. I note that you are not quite going so far as to suggest that it was not.

Return to “Troubleshooting”