gkoper

RRDTOOL problem

Tue May 31, 2016 3:27 am

Dear all

There are two options that do not seem to work with my rrdtool installation on Jessie (tiny) installation of Debian:
--left-axis-formatter
--left-axis-format
There is a post by the author on
https://github.com/oetiker/rrdtool-1.x/issues/591
that deals with upgrading the distribution(s).

I have done the regular update/upgrade cycles ...

I have no clue how clue how to address that issue or the remarks by the author. Can someone give clear instructions?

Thanks in advance

gkoper

Re: RRDTOOL problem

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I got more information on this problem by the author of the software: the version is outdated. We should be using 1.6 or at least 1.5.6. I wonder if this package gets updated within a reasonable time by experts?

Instead I can give it a try myself to build a new version but I am not too sure about obtaining a positive result here. Simply because of lack of experience.

Any help?

Ger

gkoper

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:11 am

Cross-posted from github:

Well, I managed to make the version 1.6.0 for a clean RPi with Raspbian Jessie Lite. The script to achieve this and the config.log file as well as a copy of the screen output can be studied using the following dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d34je54d0h9f ... xxlya?dl=0.
I ran some of the test programs without any problem, so it seems to be ok as is although it is probably not complete. But so far I can use it for my purpose.

There is one small nagging thing: the rrdtool and associated commands are not readily included in the PATH statement. I am not sure what is the optimal method to achieve this so I request for an advice here. It should be added to the script that I made.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Ger

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:20 am

rrdtool 1.6 is in Debian Testing, maybe you could take a fresh Jessie Lite and change the sources list to stretch ?

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
Retired disgracefully.....

gkoper

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 am

Well, I would have liked to receive this answer to my earlier posts.

Although, what means "change the sources list to stretch" ???

Ger

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:21 pm

gkoper wrote:Well, I would have like to receive this answer to my earlier posts.

Although, what means "change the sources list to stretch" ???

Ger
In the sources list you just change the word jessie to stretch

Then a full update:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
FYI as Raspbian is a respin of Debian you can check packages

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rrdtool

gkoper

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Well fruitoftheloom,

Thanks for the suggestion. Far from trivial at times how to proceed but after a lengthy upgrade with various stopovers it managed to conclude. Indeed, after that I could install rrdtool and use it in the application I use.

Now the challange is to integrate it in the many systems I have up and running now. From that perspective, when is this Stretch expected to be officially released?

Again thanks for the suggestion. If the OS proves to be sufficiently stable - Jessie really has been very reliable and ran for at least a full year - I may use it everywhere.

Ger

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:31 pm

gkoper wrote:Well fruitoftheloom,

Thanks for the suggestion. Far from trivial at times how to proceed but after a lengthy upgrade with various stopovers it managed to conclude. Indeed, after that I could install rrdtool and use it in the application I use.

Now the challange is to integrate it in the many systems I have up and running now. From that perspective, when is this Stretch expected to be officially released?

Again thanks for the suggestion. If the OS proves to be sufficiently stable - Jessie really has been very reliable and ran for at least a full year - I may use it everywhere.

Ger
Raspbian will likely be a few months behind the Debian Release Cycle

https://www.debian.org/releases

gkoper

Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:23 am

Thanks fruitoftheloom

For your slightly cryptical way of saying that it the release date is still not known.

Maybe it is better for me than to stick to my workaround provided someone can tell me the answer to the real question I posed:
There is one small nagging thing: the rrdtool and associated commands are not readily included in the PATH statement. I am not sure what is the optimal method to achieve this so I request for an advice here. It should be added to the script that I made.

Thanks in advance,

Ger

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:06 am

gkoper wrote:Thanks fruitoftheloom

For your slightly cryptical way of saying that it the release date is still not known.

Maybe it is better for me than to stick to my workaround provided someone can tell me the answer to the real question I posed:

Thanks in advance,

Ger
No I am stateing that research can find most answers. :)

gkoper

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:12 am

Fair enough. I have many answers but I do not know which one is preferred. Anyway, I'll find out.

Topic closed for my part.

Ger

Return to “Troubleshooting”